JBarron is offline Member

Icy Hott on injection site?

I know the injection pain comes from crystals becoming hard in the muscle, and heating them up causes relief. However applying ice would make them worse. So I've read.

If one were without a heating pad, would Icy Hott on the soar injection spot be a wise idea?

I'm running prop EOD, so sometimes I get relatively painful soreness form injections.

Sorry for double thread post internet froze up.
    Last edited by JBarron; 05-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.

crazy_rocks is offline Senior Member
    i did it once because for some reason my arm was sore after a delt injection. my other arm was perfectly fine from prior delt injection.

not sure if its ok though. never had to do it again.

FCVtec is offline Associate Member
    I know Neosporin wont relieve the pain immediately but it will heal the injection spot much faster. So you don't accumulate the bruising resulting in more comfortable shots. (Just my opinion, it worked for me).

willyg091 is offline New Member
    a dish towel under hot water than apply to the site. inexpensive heating pad

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarron View Post
    I know the injection pain comes from crystals becoming hard in the muscle, and heating them up causes relief. However applying ice would make them worse. So I've read.

If one were without a heating pad, would Icy Hott on the soar injection spot be a wise idea?

I'm running prop EOD, so sometimes I get relatively painful soreness form injections.

Sorry for double thread post internet froze up.
    Ive always iced sore injection sites. Reduces the inflammation. Heat brings blood to an already sore/gorged site.

JBarron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    Ive always iced sore injection sites. Reduces the inflammation. Heat brings blood to an already sore/gorged site.
    Interesting. I think your right, even though I've read icing a sore injection spot would make it worse. However, a few nights ago I threw a heat pad on my quad after it'd been wicked sore for about 3 days and the next day it was worse!

Now I've never had a sore spot last longer then 3 days, it usually goes

day after injection a bit sore
    second days after injection pretty sore
    third day after injection very sore
    fourth day after injection getting better
    fifth day gone.

But after using heat on it the fourth day it was in the worst pain, today (fifth) it was sore but its getting better. So I think the heat did increase the length of the soreness.

M_Biggz is offline New Member
    heat brings the blood to the surface. It would cause it to bruise easier. Ice reduces the swelling. Just like if you get hit in a fight or a cut lip or anything like that, you put ice on it, not a heating pad. If it's an overworked muscle that is sore than the heat will help loosen up the muscle but I dont think that's what you're talking about.

Thread Information