theleanmassX is offline New Member

Unhappy 5-alpha reductase and aromatise enzyme question..

hello, drugs like Arimidex bind to aromatise enzyme and thus estrogen is stopped.
    my question is Will arimidex also lower DHT .my friend told me that 5-alpha reductase and aromatise enzyme is the same.
    I am just increasing my knowlege

The 5 alpha reductase enzyme converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Inhibition of this enzyme can lead to gyno.

The aromatase enzyme converts testosterone to estrogen. This enzyme eliminates the methyl group (CH3) from testosterone by oxidation. Allowing this enzyme to go unchecked during a steroid cycle where artificial testosterone is introduced into the body can lead to the formation of excessive amounts of estrogen, which can lead to gyno.

A drug like Arimidex is an aromatase inhibitor. It blocks the aromatase enzyme, effectively preventing aromatization of testosterone to estrogen.

The only two drugs I'm aware of that actively inhibit DHT are Finasteride and Dutasteride. Finasteride inhibits the function of one of the isoenzymes of DHT, whereas Dutasteride inhibits both of them.

So, to answer your question, the two are most definitely not the same.

theleanmassX is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
    The 5 alpha reductase enzyme converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Inhibition of this enzyme can lead to gyno.

The aromatase enzyme converts testosterone to estrogen. This enzyme eliminates the methyl group (CH3) from testosterone by oxidation. Allowing this enzyme to go unchecked during a steroid cycle where artificial testosterone is introduced into the body can lead to the formation of excessive amounts of estrogen, which can lead to gyno.

A drug like Arimidex is an aromatase inhibitor. It blocks the aromatase enzyme, effectively preventing aromatization of testosterone to estrogen.

The only two drugs I'm aware of that actively inhibit DHT are Finasteride and Dutasteride. Finasteride inhibits the function of one of the isoenzymes of DHT, whereas Dutasteride inhibits both of them.

So, to answer your question, the two are most definitely not the same.
    Bro' thanks for the info .. This means with an AI we can get all benefits from DHT

That's true, but you also get the downsides too. DHT is linked to premature balding, or increasing the onset and severity of male pattern baldness, though you do need the genetic predisposition to that.

The real problem with too much free DHT is that it competes with progesterone at the receptor. Progesterone, like estrogen, is not entirely bad. It's only bad if you have way too much of it. Progesterone modulates collagen synthesis in your body, which is what connective tissue is made from. When DHT blocks collagen from being made you can end up with sore and aching joints, or even tendon or ligament injuries. This is part of the reason guys will run Deca with test, or EQ with test, or Anavar with test. Those three compounds actually bump progesterone and increase collagen synthesis, which will make your joints feel better and help insulate you from injury.

Winstrol does the same thing as anything that will reduce to free DHT, but not because it reduces to DHT (its 5-alpha reduced already). Instead Winstrol itself competes with progesterone at the receptor, and it is also antagonistic to estrogen (lowering estrogen can also effectively lower progesterone through mechanisms currently not 100% understood, it is simply accepted that it happens as it has been proven in the lab). Yet despite that you can still get gyno from Winstrol for other reasons. The body's feedback systems are very complicated, as you can see.

The key is more in the ratio of test to estro and other hormones. That's really what prevents gyno and other side effects while on a cycle. Then once you come off the cycle you have to be concerned about rebound and deal with that in PCT.

Thread Information