TopDogUK is offline Junior Member

Both Sides Bleeding, Needle size?

Ok, so i got another pack of needles last night 23g, 1 1/4 inch and i tried pinning one side of the glute and when i aspirated it drew blood, so i took it out changed it to a fresh needle (so it wasn't blunt and wouldn't have any blood in it) swapped sides and it drew blood again. It also bled like mad when i pulled the needle out, I didn't inject any oil.

The only reason i got 23g needles is because they were out of 21g needles which i have been using for the first 3 weeks of the cycle, They only let you take one pack at a time and give you another pack when you return the sharps bin.

My question is... Was i just unlucky and hit a vein twice or is the needle size making it bleed? Ive never hit a vein before and this would be my 6th injection.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you had bad luck , I have used 23 by 1.5" needles on glute shots with no ill affects. Although the 23 gauge will naturally cause a little more tissue trauma (and occasionally a single drop of blood on removal from the injection site) it should not cause blood on aspiration due to the larger diameter. IMHO.

Really curious to hear from those with more knowlege, but that was my experience.

Just curious, were the needles longer than previous ones? although it should not be a factor on a glute shot unless you are very small ahh "gluted"

Great post as usual by Bonaparte, you can google intramuscular injections and get detailed instructions and videos of the locations and techniques.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 11-02-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Footnote on Bonaparte

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The needle size has nothing to do with it. It sounds like you're pinning the wrong part of the glute, since I have yet to hit a vein...ever.
    Make sure you're flexing your glute first and choosing the upper and outermost portion of the muscle. Then relax it and pin.

yeah i do it in the upper, outer quarter of the cheek.

21g is bigger than 23g aint it? Sure it is, The 23g looked smaller and it took longer to draw the fluid from the amp...

Anyone else got any ideas? Im going to try a 21g tonight in the same place so ill let you know, Also with the 21g i dont even feel it go in, The 23g stung like a biatch!!

Comparison chart for needle gauge sizes,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_...mparison_chart

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    It's not the gauge that making it bleed like that.

If you aspirate and get blood it's not because it's a 21 or 23 gauge.

Just try a different spot: quads, delts, whatever.

I just read your reply and assume you mistyped but just in case, a 21 guage needle is larger than a 23 guage not smaller so a 21 gauge would cause more tissue damage than a 23 of the same length.

I am not familier with the UK needle exchanges but maybe the brand on the 23 was bad or factory defects as the 23 should hurt less than the 21 all other factors being equal.

And like everyone has said its not the gauge thats causing blood on aspiration.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Agree with the man in green.

Skip the glutes for now and try another location.

Far from massive, this is what you just said in your previous post;

"Although the 23 gauge will naturally cause a little more tissue trauma"
    "it should not cause blood on aspiration due to the larger diameter"

You went back on what you said?
    And the answer to your question, No they weren't longer.

Its just weird the smaller diameter needle would make me bleed like crazy and i would hit a vein twice i thought there would of been less chance?

Ill give delts ago, The pain doesn't bother me so i dont mind using the same site all the time but ill have a change see how it goes...

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    Just a thought ,a smaller diameter pin= smaller hole faster cloting=no blood on withdraw
    although i use 23g no matter where i pin and get a drop of blood on withdraw most times
    Last edited by MBMETC; 11-02-2010 at 09:06 AM.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogUK View Post

Its just weird the smaller diameter needle would make me bleed like crazy and i would hit a vein twice i thought there would of been less chance?

Ill give delts ago, The pain doesn't bother me so i dont mind using the same site all the time but ill have a change see how it goes...
    If you aspirate and no blood leaks, yet you still bleed when the needle is withdrawn, use the z-track method to avoid leakage.

That was my mistake, when you posted your question about using a different sized needle and bleeding I assumed you were talking about a larger needle, somehow I missed that you had switched from a 21 guage needle.

My apologies for any confusion, I don't see worth a damn and really need to read posts two or three times to make sure I don't miss anything.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post

My apologies for any confusion, I don't see worth a damn and really need to read posts two or three times to make sure I don't miss anything.
    Ooooohhhh...so that explains it

Lol, I drew blood when aspirating. Always get a little on withdrawal. Im going to try again tonight with a 21g needle, If that fails ill just have to switch to delts. But its weird cause it has not happened on the 5 other injections previous to this, so it seems odd that it happened twice in a row last night with a smaller needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Ooooohhhh...so that explains it
    Yeah if you have read many of my posts you know I have had a hemmorage of both optic nerves, in addition to seeing corona's this has caused random moving loss of vision in different parts of the visual field and really makes reading a byotche...but since it happened 6 years ago I have had a phenominal recovery as for the first year I could not even cross a street safely and the docs involved did not expect any improvement.

Not saying I am not subject to random stupidity also
    Last edited by Far from massive; 11-02-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Sounds like your doing well then FFM!! Good to know your having a good recovery!!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Dont use a 21G to pin, they are big man, ive used them but use 25G now and its much better

U can actually fit a 25G inside a 21G!!!

If a lil blod comes in the barrel it may be because u have passed thru a vein...

If u were in a vein the blood would be pouring in I would imagine

BOBfromfightclub is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topdoguk View Post
    they only let you take one pack at a time and give you another pack when you return the sharps bin.
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Dont use a 21G to pin, they are big man, ive used them but use 25G now and its much better

U can actually fit a 25G inside a 21G!!!

If a lil blod comes in the barrel it may be because u have passed thru a vein...

If u were in a vein the blood would be pouring in I would imagine
    I know that the higher the number the smaller the diameter. But the 21g hurt me less, Bled less and i never hit a vein with it, Seems weird i would do it twice in a row with a smaller size needle right? And have it hurt more?

Quote Originally Posted by BOBfromfightclub View Post
    huh?
    Yeah a sharps bin is a needle bin, They ask for you to return your sharps bin when you are picking up more needles so that it stops people reusing needles and keeps the hazardous waste out of normal bins and it gets disposed of safely. Im from England BTW... Health and safety crazy lol Not a bad thing though with used needles.

Sorry to be off subject but I have read a bunch of threads from UK guys who use needle exchanges. In the US when we had those you would be standing in line with the dregs of society ( IV drug addicts, some with open abscesses and TB ) does the UK handle needle exchange there differently? and if not is there any reason ( legal,etc. ?) why you don't just order a box of a hundred pins and barrels of amazon for $20.00?

Nah ive never had to Que once, saying that my town isnt massive so it may be different in bigger towns or citys. Also they dispose of the needles and syringes safely so its piece of mind as well. Not really bothered what people think, I dont look like a junky (hollow face, pale etc) and its my choice to do what i want to do. Its a bit embarrassing some days though as there is a tidy blonde woman who works there :P

Why would i pay for them when i can get them for free? I also know they have to be good quality as they are being given out by the National Health Service. Not saying they arent going to be good quality off Amazon but again id rather not pay for them and only have a 5 minute walk to pick them up if and when i need them.

I guess thats the difference between the US and the UK. When we had needle programs you could only exchange 10 at a time, they were always in the seediest areas, and the syringes were whatever was cheapest or free to the program. I agree with you on quality, on amazon you can order whatever kind you want I always order BD for $20 instead of Excel or Terumo for $14 and $12 as to me the extra quality is well worth the extra 12 to 16 cents a shot ( two needles per shot).

DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogUK View Post
    It also bled like mad when i pulled the needle out,
    My last shot in my delt bled like crazy when I pulled the needle out as well. There was no blood when I aspirated but when I pulled the needle blood squirted across the table!

Just an update, Used a 21g pin in the glute, No blood on aspiration and little blood on withdrawal. Its weird the little needle makes me bleed lol

Better stay clear of the insulin needles when you do you HCG ..you might bleed out! JK

Lol gonna use the smaller ones to draw the oil, takes longer but its better than using the ones im going to use to pin.

lil_herc81 is offline Member
    Just my opinion, I would highly recommend not using the 21ga use the 23-25 far less scar tissue to build. It may not be significant but none the less it is better. Reading the post and the reading errors that you mentioned is it possible you may have had a.... blonde moment if you will when you saw blood the second time? Could you have mistaken the blood from the original aspiration for a second draw as well? In the end use what you will, Im not a doctor but I cannot fathom a smaller needle causing more blood.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Sorry to be off subject but I have read a bunch of threads from UK guys who use needle exchanges. In the US when we had those you would be standing in line with the dregs of society ( IV drug addicts, some with open abscesses and TB ) does the UK handle needle exchange there differently? and if not is there any reason ( legal,etc. ?) why you don't just order a box of a hundred pins and barrels of amazon for $20.00?
    Lots fot he exchanges are at pharmacys, u just go in drop ur sharps box in the correct bin thing and then ask for a steroid pack, they give u 10 barrels and 20 pins

If u go to a real needle exchange/ drugs place they will give you 50 barrels and 100 pins

I also now travel from Birmingham to Manchester to a Drugs place to get my Blood Work done for free

However I do order pins and barrels online

Thread Information