Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja

Chunk of Rubber Stopper in Gear

So I bought some NPP 200 from a very trusted source a few months back. At the time I noticed the rubber stopper had a small chunk missing out of the top almost like a needle had gouged it. I didn't think anything of it at the time because I really trust the source. I looked at the NPP last night and noticed, that the piece of rubber stopper is floating around in the gear. The piece looks too small to draw through a 23g needle (I hope)

What should I do? Will I be okay to draw and just use the gear or should I go through the process of filtering the gear. I don't have any of the equipment or knowledge to filter, so I hope I don't have to.

Thanks

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    You should go back to your source and demand your money back or a replacement

Your vial may no longer be a sealed environment, i would not risk it

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    i ont know i dont think it would sit well with me if i saw that, why the damage to the stopper. if it was caused by a needle than, why? also your gear may now be comtaminated. if your source is a good guy he will replace the gear.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just curious did the bottle come with a flip off cap or metal seal ring in place when you got it? If not, then look at the bottom of the metal cap that holds on the stopper, on the section where it crimps around the bottle look for little wrinkles, if it is smooth then whomever made the gear probably bought presealed vials (hand crimpers tend to dimple the sealing portion of the ring wheras I can only assume at kimble or another vial assembly plant they probably use a machine with rollers to crimp the cap onto the vial) and used too big or too dull a pin when filling the vial and punched a section of the stopper out into the bottle. The wierd thing is it sounds like this guy who is selling gear does not have his own vial crimper either that or much worse someone dipped a needle into the vial and pulled some out and put some oil back in (was it sealed?) did it have a metal seal that was lifted up at the corner needle poked and then pushed back down? as far as is it safe? Well who knows, as already said why not just go back and tell the guy you like smooth not chunky gear LOL.

Thanks for all the responses...

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Just curious did the bottle come with a flip off cap or metal seal ring in place when you got it? If not, then look at the bottom of the metal cap that holds on the stopper, on the section where it crimps around the bottle look for little wrinkles, if it is smooth then whomever made the gear probably bought presealed vials (hand crimpers tend to dimple the sealing portion of the ring wheras I can only assume at kimble or another vial assembly plant they probably use a machine with rollers to crimp the cap onto the vial) and used too big or too dull a pin when filling the vial and punched a section of the stopper out into the bottle. The wierd thing is it sounds like this guy who is selling gear does not have his own vial crimper either that or much worse someone dipped a needle into the vial and pulled some out and put some oil back in (was it sealed?) did it have a metal seal that was lifted up at the corner needle poked and then pushed back down? as far as is it safe? Well who knows, as already said why not just go back and tell the guy you like smooth not chunky gear LOL.

^^ This is kind of what I am thinking, The source is home brew and I don't think he has a crimper. I think the chunk got in there when he was filling the vial. Problem is, I did not get direct from the source, I got it 3rd party but I assure you I trust all parties involved, theres no way someone refilled it after the source.

So, lets say the chunk of rubber got in there at the time of filling, is it safe, or should I toss it?

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it (you said it's a from trusted source) but that's me lol, If you want piece of mind spend the $7 for a syringe filter and sterile sealed vial and refilter it. For less than $10 there's not really a reason not too if you're worried.

Stay Strong,

xxxl83

Yeah its really a roll the dice kinda deal if all that happened is that he used an 18g pin when filling and a chunk got in the vial its probably fine as I said earlier you could pressure or vacuum test it just take a needle and syringe and suck 3ml of air out of the vial if it holds a vacuum chances are it has not sucked any crap through the other needle hole, if it will not hold a vacuum then its really kinda sketchy to say the least as it may have been wrapped up in someones jock strap in their gym bag....sorry had to go there LOL

kynetguy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    Thanks for all the responses...

^^ This is kind of what I am thinking, The source is home brew and I don't think he has a crimper. I think the chunk got in there when he was filling the vial. Problem is, I did not get direct from the source, I got it 3rd party but I assure you I trust all parties involved, theres no way someone refilled it after the source.

So, lets say the chunk of rubber got in there at the time of filling, is it safe, or should I toss it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Yeah its really a roll the dice kinda deal if all that happened is that he used an 18g pin when filling and a chunk got in the vial its probably fine as I said earlier you could pressure or vacuum test it just take a needle and syringe and suck 3ml of air out of the vial if it holds a vacuum chances are it has not sucked any crap through the other needle hole, if it will not hold a vacuum then its really kinda sketchy to say the least as it may have been wrapped up in someones jock strap in their gym bag....sorry had to go there LOL
    I agree with FFM. I brew all my own and fill vials with an 18ga. I have once or twice had a piece of stopper in a bottle. I always let my bottles sit at least a week before use to allow the BA to sterilize.

I ran mine, being careful to avoid it. You wont suck it up most likely as it is unlikely you will use a pin large enough to suck it up. However, I trust my brewing implicitly. I know I am anal throughout my processes.

I use pre-sterilized vials and never remove the stopper. Just remember, the final sterilization comes after it is filled, when the BA is doing its thing. Contrary to misconception from non-brewers, the inside of that bottle IS exposed to the outside air when being filled. . .and everytime you draw from it actually.

Labs fill them with no stoppers, then place a stopper and seal on it. (you would be shocked if you ever seen some UGLs in action. We aren't talked USP regulated labs here. We are talking bathtubs, buckets and basements.

Home brewers will do the same or vent with one pin and will with another. When you gouge the two pins in (filler/venter) they were in the air before they got jabbed through the stopper.

This is where BA comes in. . .

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    It basically boils down to;

is the whole big enough for shit to get into ur vial

If there is a big whole in the top of the vial and it has been passed around and thrown in peoples pockets or bags would you trust it to not be contaminated?

I wouldnt as you dont know for sure. Im sure you would be fine but I would always be cautious rather than reckless

When you mention quality control problems with UGLs are you talking about stuff like this...look closely at the inside bottom of the vial.

FFM.... thanks for the awesome advice... and that pic you've posted is exactly the same, yes.

I think I am going to go ahead and use the NPP, it pressure tested just fine!

coonhunter is offline Member
    If you trust the guys you are good to go after passing the pressure test.

kbm12345 is offline Junior Member
    What is in that above vial? That same stuff is in 2 of my vials, looks abit like tiny rubber stopper??

Quote Originally Posted by kbm12345 View Post
    What is in that above vial? That same stuff is in 2 of my vials, looks abit like tiny rubber stopper??
    Read the whole thread.... it should explain itself, or.... if you're in a hurry, read the title.

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm12345 View Post
    i think its a fly

j.daddy is offline Junior Member
    Just make sure you don't inject the rubber. I had a friend that I trusted draw a piece of rubber into a syringe and inject it into my glutes. He told me that my body would absorb it and I would be fine. I ended up with a horrible infection. One cheak swelled to three times the size as the other. Be very careful. I don't really trust anyone else. I filter all my gear now. I would just get a filter dude.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by j.daddy View Post
    Just make sure you don't inject the rubber. I had a friend that I trusted draw a piece of rubber into a syringe and inject it into my glutes. He told me that my body would absorb it and I would be fine. I ended up with a horrible infection. One cheak swelled to three times the size as the other. Be very careful. I don't really trust anyone else. I filter all my gear now. I would just get a filter dude.
    Hahaha. Wall it off with a (hopefully) sterile abscess, sure. But there is no way that your body could ever absorb a solid chunk of butyl rubber.

Thread Information