Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!

Back Pain While on Oral Steroids

I've decided to start this thread, because I really want to find an answer to this.

Every time that I use an oral steroid , after about a week on, I get this awful pain in my lower back.

The pain is really bad when I first start to move, but the pain will die down after I'm in motion.

The causes I've found were "back pumps" which I don't really think it is since the muscles themselves don't feel sore. But let's suppose it's this, the most common cause I read is stress to the kidneys. Which makes sense except for one problem, I don't have a right kidney (removed following a car accident 9 years ago). So, it'd be impossible for that to cause pain on the right side of my back.

As for it being a liver problem, I don't suffer from any of the other common symptoms of an inflamed or damaged liver (as far as I know).

Do you guys think the oral steroids could be causing inflammation on the spine itself? Around the L1, L2 discs, it is mildly painful to press on.

eyepoker is offline Junior Member
    With one kidney left I would steer way clear of oral roids for obvious reasons.

coonhunter is offline Member
    Orals are not for you man. when I take orals I have to take in 1.5-2 gallon of water or I get back pain but Im sure the pain is caused by liver/ kidney processing the gear. I would stop and if you really want to use gear injectable or topical cream are your best bet.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I was going to say kidneys...but everyone else seems to be way ahead of me. The fact that you are having pain on the side that has no kidney may mean the kidney theory is wrong, but I would still be careful if you are down to one.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Most likely its your liver. As far as inflaming lumbar discs..AAS could led to more inflammation through cortisol blocking pathways but I dont believe this would really occur in practice, at least not without prior injury to them.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's just part of the fun w/ orals! Lower back pumps usually start effecting me around week 3 or oral use. I have found that potassium, taurine, and calcium help to alleviate some of the pain, and whatever pain is still there usually try to elliminate with ibuprophen pre workout.

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Every time that I use an oral steroid , after about a week on, I get this awful pain in my lower back.

The pain is really bad when I first start to move, but the pain will die down after I'm in motion.
    Why use orals if they have this effect?

FuzzyPeaches o.O is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    It's just part of the fun w/ orals! Lower back pumps usually start effecting me around week 3 or oral use. I have found that potassium, taurine, and calcium help to alleviate some of the pain, and whatever pain is still there usually try to elliminate with ibuprophen pre workout.
    Im with M3 on this one. I bet its intense lower back pumps, I get em and they can be a bitch!

Thread Information