blazerelf is offline Associate Member

how do you know if you hit a vein or nerve?

im not talking about the symtoms after you did the mistake and injected trought vessel or so but rather what to expect when you hit that vessel or nerve, how do you know you did so, do you feel it? what kind of feeling you have,pain,ticles,etc?what prociddure should be done to riduce the chances of things like this happening?if by chance happens what safety procide to be taken?

Jburn is offline New Member
    when you inject pull back on the plunger of the syringe and look for blood if you dont see any your good if you see blood pull it out and try again. you should be good if your injecting in the right spots of the leg and ass cheek. if you get blood on one of your trys i recommend moving to another injection site so if you pull back and see blood on a leg injection redue it in the ass cheek.

toooosmall is offline 1st Place Winner~Transformation Contest!
    I hear that if you hit a nerve its very painful, therefore if you shoot your thigh go a little higher than middle and to the side. I've never hit a nerve, but i pierced a vein my first injection and blood squirted when i pulled out.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You will know when you hit a nerve. Your leg or whatever will jerk, it will hurt like a shock and you wont want to do it again, thats why I put it in slow and have never hit one since.

syke1988 is offline Junior Member
    you will know about it if you hit a nerve, especially in the glute because you will probably hit the roof... aspirate the syringe once the needle is inserted into the muscle, there should be no blood, this way you know you havnt nicked a vessel etc...

I also found a nerve in my delt once and it was a sharp shooting pain and my muscle contracted harshly, when i removed the pin blood squirted out and the next few days it was like I had flu, no energy, weak and a sore arm... Making sure you dont hit them is simply down to following instructions on pinning sites etc etc... pin where your supoposed to and where instructional info tells you

should b fine

dsldsl1980 is offline Associate Member
    I have never hit one in the delts, only in the quads (the only 2 spots I pin). I agree with the go slow on pushing it in and if I start to feel a little pain I adjust the needle angle slightly. I still get nervous as hell when pinning quads cause I have hit nerves so many times. The nervousness starts to go as I get used to pinning and get in the same spots without problems on my cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    You will know when you hit a nerve. Your leg or whatever will jerk, it will hurt like a shock and you wont want to do it again, thats why I put it in slow and have never hit one since.
    a shock? daamn how do you handle to break the needle if its feels that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Jburn View Post
    when you inject pull back on the plunger of the syringe and look for blood if you dont see any your good if you see blood pull it out and try again. you should be good if your injecting in the right spots of the leg and ass cheek. if you get blood on one of your trys i recommend moving to another injection site so if you pull back and see blood on a leg injection redue it in the ass cheek.
    so you have to pullback to see if any blood comes out,sop what if it does I switch site but i tought syringe could only be used once and by the time you pullout you cnat reuse back or youll risk for infection; also even if oyu dont hit a vessel if you pullback shouldnt some blood comeout anyways i mean blood is everywhere.

right blood is everywhere but when u insert it goes right past skin and to the muscle if your able to pull back and see blood that means your drawing from a vein or an artery. you can always switch the tips of the pins if you fear infection but im never to worried i just wipe the tip wit an alcohol pad and reinsert.

right blood is everywhere but when u insert it goes right past skin and to the muscle if your able to pull back and see blood that means your drawing from a vein or an artery. you can always switch the tips of the pins if you fear infection but im never to worried i just wipe the tip wit an alcohol pad and reinsert.
    yesterday when i did my shoulder shot when i was intruducing the syringe i felt like a pulsion but so unperceptable that i tought was the nerves (which is common yet for me) so i pushed a lil more jsut a very lil since i push slowly and then the pulse was stronger like the once you get when freezing, pritty much as a shock as lovbyt said so i figured out I hitted a nerve so I pulled out puted into the place a cotton full of alcohol (which was already prepared) and around my shoulder to and quickly reinjected in a different site a few cm away which at the end seemed fine.
    My queston is did the steps i took after this issue happened to me were alright?;the damage is done i hitted a nerve so what should i expect to happen in the next days?alot of pain, will I be able to workout?should i do something about idk massage stretching something to help it?are nerves always located in the same spot, like no matter how many years pass just remebr that exact spot wil always be danger?

May sound wierd but im kinda glad it happened not like I enjoyed it i was very scared but because i got the experience now;will now know what should I expect and be more alert to the 1st signs of it. I hope this issue does not bring anything seriouse or atleast not more seriouse that the sore you get in that area but well let see what ya all will tell me...
    Last edited by blazerelf; 02-09-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsldsl1980 View Post
    I have never hit one in the delts, only in the quads (the only 2 spots I pin). I agree with the go slow on pushing it in and if I start to feel a little pain I adjust the needle angle slightly. I still get nervous as hell when pinning quads cause I have hit nerves so many times. The nervousness starts to go as I get used to pinning and get in the same spots without problems on my cycle.
    check out my little story man , need some advice

Just go slow and aspirate .

it sounds like u didnt hit a nerve but maybe a vein. If you hit a nerve you would know it, you wouldnt even have been able to push it in a little bit more. if you hit a nerve you will ****ing want to cry instantly. it sounds like you may have gone through a vein if you felt a pulse but if you dont see bruising or if blood didnt come out then it may have just been a random occurence. unless you see extreme bruising or ****ing intense pain then no harm done. you can hit a nerve or vein and it wont really do any damage unless your using like a 18 ga needle bc that shit would be huge.

it sounds like u didnt hit a nerve but maybe a vein. If you hit a nerve you would know it, you wouldnt even have been able to push it in a little bit more. if you hit a nerve you will ****ing want to cry instantly. it sounds like you may have gone through a vein if you felt a pulse but if you dont see bruising or if blood didnt come out then it may have just been a random occurence. unless you see extreme bruising or ****ing intense pain then no harm done. you can hit a nerve or vein and it wont really do any damage unless your using like a 18 ga needle bc that shit would be huge.
    after i pulled out i did bleeed but not much i would compare the bleeding to the one you get after bursing a pimple (i know wierd example).
    But i dont find it logic that my pulse was because of a vein because even tought veins do have some pulse its just on that spot like when you touch the artey on you neck, but my pulse was like a whole area, id even beleave it was the whole frontal muscle which pulsed so make sense it wasa nerve also when i tryed to move my arm like in a circle form y could feel like a wierd movement in something that felt like fibres or something which was stretching.
    By the way if hiting a vein has that feeling why woud people bother in pulling the plunger(taking ou blood and reinjecting it can cause health problems, dont remember what was it called but ive heard it since child) if the could just weight to feel tht, is it rare to have pulses or what?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Veins do not have any special sensory mechanisms so you will not feel when you penetrate a small one (the only kinds that should be present in an area where you pin) when you penetrate a large vein like when you take blood you can feel the change in resistance to movement of the needle as it enters the vein but not on a little one. As far as feeling a pulse? no never felt a pulse when hitting a vein either intentionally or by accident.

This is why it is reccomended to aspirate to check for the presence of blood before injecting substances IM that can cause serious health problems if injected IV. Lots of vaccinations are not oil based and are also very small in volume so with these many nurse/technicians do not aspirate.

If you hit a nerve as many have said you will know it as the penetration of a nerve by a piece of metal will cause massive firing of nerve impulses.

As far as hitting nerves/veins in the thighs its always a good idea before injecting to get into the position you will when injecting and flex the leg and feel where the muslces are oriented in the thigh. You do not want to inject at the end or edge of the muscle you want to inject in the center both lenghwise as well as the center of the cross section. Of course when you inject you want the thigh to be relaxed but by flexing and mapping out your own musculature prior to injection, you will now know where to inject.

While the thigh is full of veins and nerves and multiple muscle junctures compared to other sites I feel with care the problems can be minimized. Many people simply stick the needle into their thigh and often inject right at the edge of a muslce group, I feel this is what causes the vast majority of thigh injection problems.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 02-09-2011 at 04:59 PM.

CsB
    CsB is offline New Member
    hmmm I never pull back on the plunger cause I always know it will fill with blood. everytime I used to inject i took it slowly and it didnt feel like i hit any nerves or veins but i never aspirate after im finished injecting pull it out and see a little drop of blood thats about it

Quote Originally Posted by CsB View Post
    hmmm I never pull back on the plunger cause I always know it will fill with blood. everytime I used to inject i took it slowly and it didnt feel like i hit any nerves or veins but i never aspirate after im finished injecting pull it out and see a little drop of blood thats about it
    that exactly what i do but i do aspirite it helps to not feel no pain at all, form common sence what i expected was that by the second u hit a vein youll see blood coming out from the edge of the hole even when needleis still inside because of the pressure they have,but about pulling the plunger I feel its pointless and may cause infection, im sure blood will be sucked in either or not hited a vein,Im not saying you all are wrong because im not the person with th right for that but what i mean is i feel tehir is somethng im missing about that fact , if anyone know a text or preferably a video where tehy explain about it would be gratefull
    Last edited by blazerelf; 02-09-2011 at 06:17 PM.

SMcB is offline Associate Member
    I'm not sure what this means, but when I tried to aspirate I find I am unable to do so. I try to tug at the handle but it seems stuck and the only way it can go is forward (syringe not full, only 1.5 cc). I'm afraid to pull back too hard, so I just assume that if I did hit a vein or blood vessel or something like that the handle would be easy to pull back since blood is trying to get out.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SMcB View Post
    I'm not sure what this means, but when I tried to aspirate I find I am unable to do so. I try to tug at the handle but it seems stuck and the only way it can go is forward (syringe not full, only 1.5 cc). I'm afraid to pull back too hard, so I just assume that if I did hit a vein or blood vessel or something like that the handle would be easy to pull back since blood is trying to get out.
    deleted by me....

AlphaMaleDawg is offline Senior Member
    I think I got it in my delts on two occasions. It started twitching like crazy so I just pulled out and re-injected

Quote Originally Posted by SMcB View Post
    Thats exactly correct, when you try to aspirate and are in a muscle there is nothing to pull into the syringe so a great deal of resistance is felt, if you are in a vein or have gone through one nearby then when you pull back blood will appear. You are also right to not pull hard all it takes is a little pull and if its hard to move then you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by blazerelf View Post
    that exactly what i do but i do aspirite it helps to not feel no pain at all, form common sence what i expected was that by the second u hit a vein youll see blood coming out from the edge of the hole even when needleis still inside because of the pressure they have,but about pulling the plunger I feel its pointless and may cause infection, im sure blood will be sucked in either or not hited a vein,Im not saying you all are wrong because im not the person with th right for that but what i mean is i feel tehir is somethng im missing about that fact , if anyone know a text or preferably a video where tehy explain about it would be gratefull
    This is an accepted procedure, the result of countless hours of theory and practice by people with big ass brains....

Here is an excerpt from Becton Dickerson or (BD) the largest manufacturer of syringes worldwide.

From BD Syringe manufacturer:

Safe injection techniques.

Aspiration:

Although aspiration is no longer recommended for SC
    injections, it should be practised in IM injections. If a
    needle is mistakenly placed in a blood vessel, the drug
    may be given intravenously by mistake and could cause
    an embolus as a result of the chemical components of
    the drug. Following insertion into the muscle, aspiration
    should be maintained for several seconds to allow
    blood to appear, especially if a narrow bore needle is
    used (Torrance 1989a). If blood is aspirated, the syringe
    should be discarded and a fresh drug prepared. If no
    blood appears, proceed to inject at a rate of approximately
    1ml every ten seconds. This may seem slow,
    but it allows time for the muscle fibres to expand and
    absorb the solution. There should also be a ten second
    wait before withdrawal of the needle, to allow the
    medication to diffuse into the muscle before the needle
    is finally withdrawn. If there is seepage from the
    site, slight pressure using a gauze swab can be applied.
    A small plaster may be required at the site. Massage
    of the site should be discouraged because it may cause
    the drug to leak from the needle entry site and irritate

SMcB is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Thats exactly correct, when you try to aspirate and are in a muscle there is nothing to pull into the syringe so a great deal of resistance is felt, if you are in a vein or have gone through one nearby then when you pull back blood will appear. You are also right to not pull hard all it takes is a little pull and if its hard to move then you are good to go.
    Thanks! Glad to hear I did it correctly!

Thread Information