UK-FIREGUY is offline Junior Member

Whey protein before bed?

I know my pre bed shake should be caesin protein but i have loads of whey, will it make much of a difference? i eat 100g of cottage cheese at the moment before bed, will whey be better?

Cheers guys

mufc is offline New Member
    Why not take both? Or increase the cottage cheese, its cheap! Cottage cheese is loaded with casein so just increase this if you aren't willing to buy casein. But a vast amount of post rest blends I have seen always contain whey so its never a bad thing to have!

Cheers mate, i'll add the whey then. The thought of eating more than 100g of cottage cheese before bed is enough to make me puke! ha

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Be careful with the cottage cheese as some of it is full of salt.

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eGGz View Post
    Be careful with the cottage cheese as some of it is full of salt.
    I was about to post this in the diet forum, but since you mentioned salt...
    I just started Dbol /Cyp cycle.
    Having salt in my oatmeal(1/2 teaspoon), seasoning containing salt on my tuna, chicken, meat, Soy sauce on my rice etc.
    Is this bad?
    Should I avoid salt all together on cycle, and go completely cardboard?

Whey is quick. Use it after a workout. Eat hard proteins, slower releasing, before bed. Cottage cheese is casein, and is slower releasing. You are not going to be eating again for 8 hours.

sportfan33 is offline Associate Member
    Just drink a shake before u go to bed, i think ull be just fine

sportfan33 is offline Associate Member
    I do everynight

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mufc View Post
    Why not take both? Or increase the cottage cheese, its cheap! Cottage cheese is loaded with casein so just increase this if you aren't willing to buy casein. But a vast amount of post rest blends I have seen always contain whey so its never a bad thing to have!
    Thats not a bad idea at all. That could work well.

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Having salt in my oatmeal(1/2 teaspoon), seasoning containing salt on my tuna, chicken, meat, Soy sauce on my rice etc.
    Is this bad?
    The body needs some salt. But since it is in so many things we eat I believe it would be difficult to not get enough.
    I never intentionally add salt. And I do watch my salt intake as I tend to retain water and puff up like a big ole moon faced blow fish.

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Good suggestions on all accounts everyone

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    People state "whey is quick" but it still elevates protein synthesis for a good 3-4 hours, that not that quick and when you combine it with fats, like cottage cheese, its even slower.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    if you can afford it eat a steak before bed.. that is best.. cottage cheese and whey could work though.. as long as you are staying away from carbs and giving yourself plenty of protein you will be grand

toooosmall is offline 1st Place Winner~Transformation Contest!
    to answer UK-f question, casein is a slower digesting protein, and more filling. It's sorta used as an anti-catabolic and an anabolic . i used to have about 3/4 cup cottage cheese with 30g whey before bed, then switched it to 30g casein, and find it much better. more filling (it expands with liquid, so you need like at least a half cup of water to mix it) and in the morning i don't feel famished. i used to wake up 4 hours into sleep and feel hungry and pissed about hunger, but not anymore with casein. but, like Mach said, a steak would be best! (without carbs imo) red meat esp sirloin always gave noticable results in strength n size, back when i could afford it.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Use up your whey and add the cottage cheese and then after you use it up switch to casein protein. Just my opinion.

awms is offline Senior Member
    WHey is fine before bed...digestion time is about 3 hours but if you add in some good fats and fiber it wil slow it down. I have used just about every kind of protein and didnt knows a diffrence and since whey is cheap and taste good I will stiack with that. Use cheap regular whey not isolate.

awms is offline Senior Member
    1-2 scoops whey, 1tbs of natural pb, 1tbs flax oil, blend it up

Great way to get extra dense cals in before bed, low carbs, and will slow down digestion.

Cheers guys, ill be getting the whey and cottage cheese down my neck before bed :-)

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    I eat carbs before bed....

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    I eat carbs before bed....
    What carbs do you eat? i though the carbs would turn to fat if not burnt off?

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Pretty sure whey hits its peak near 30 minutes and within an hour it’s been utilized for its metabolic processes. *1-4 Casein peaks around 3.5 hours and lasts for 4-5. *2,5

But in either case this is on an empty stomach. Once you add food into the mix everything changes (is digested/used slower). I have read that a piece of chicken digests at the rate of casein.

Add some whole food to the whey and it will be slow enough - fatty foods would be great here.

1 Miller S. L., Tipton K. K., Chinkes D. L., Wolfe S.E., and Wolfe R.R. (2003). Independent and combined effects of amino acids and glucose after resistance exercise. Med Sci. Sports. Exerc., 35, 3, 449-455.
    2 Mahe R., Roos N., Benamouzig R., Davin L., Luengo C., Ganon L.,Gausseres N., Rautureau J. and Tome D (1996). Gastrojejunal kinetics and the digestion of [15N]beta-lactoglobulin and casein in humans: the influence of the nature and quantity of the protein. Am J. Clin Nutr, 63, 546-552.
    3 Pannemans DL, D Halliday and KR Westerterp (1995). Whole-body protein turnover in elderly men and women: responses to two protein intakes J. Am. Clin. Nutr, 61, 33-38.
    4 Rasmussen B. B., Tipton K.D., Miller S. L., Wolf S.E., and Wolfe R.R (2000). An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise J. App. Physiol, 88, 386-392.
    5 Bryner R.W., Ullrich I, Saunders J., Donley D., Hornsby G., Kolar M., Yeater R (1999). Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate, J. Am. Coll. Nutri, 18,1, 115-121.

booze is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim230027 View Post
    Use up your whey and add the cottage cheese and then after you use it up switch to casein protein. Just my opinion.
    Spot on imo

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Is this bad?
    Have you tried "Mrs. Dash" salt free seasonings ?
    They are really quite tasty, and, salt free :-)
    http://www.mrsdash.com/

JCB-MMA is offline New Member
    this thread has opened my eyes i didnt even know about caesin protein i drink a shake of syth 6 protien every nightt before bed or pure pprotien by usn . think illl go buy some cottage chhese in bulk now great thread !!

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eGGz View Post
    Have you tried "Mrs. Dash" salt free seasonings ?
    They are really quite tasty, and, salt free :-)
    http://www.mrsdash.com/
    Yes, I´m sure I did many years ago, when I lived in the US.
    Not available here, but we have similar products.
    Most of them has MSG´s. and I pick those seasonings without.
    However I read somewhere recently that as much water as I drink on cycle(2 gallons/day), I actually need some salt, so I stopped worrying about it.

Thread Information