27300man is offline Associate Member

Heart Muscle and Steroids?????

I was just wondering if anybody had any extra info they can share regarding the heart muscle or any other internal organs effect on steroids ?

I was told by a PA (coworker a physicians assistant) that steroids cause the heart to work extra hard, causing enlargement. In other words, you'll have a swole shredded heart, which leads to Congestive heart failure in the long run.

Anyone hear of this? It does make sense tho!

5x10 is offline Associate Member
    your heart does have androgen receptor site, it will enlarge on a cycle, but will go back to normal post cycle
    heavy lifting will also cause an enlargement of the heart
    moderate use will most likely not cause any issues, but the more you use, the more you roll the dice
    roids can cause high bp, thickening of artery walls, impact cholesterol/lipid levels and so over time, can help cause heart issues
    its important to track bp, cholesterol to ensure your not causing harm

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Cardiac muscle is affected by hypertrophy, but not like your normal skeletal muscles are. All athletes on or off aas have enlarged hearts, obviously on it will get larger, but 5x10 covered all that. Unless you plan on violently abusing steroids in mammoth amounts the rest of your life I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by LatissimusaurousRex; 04-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes thats true. Thats why diet is key on a cycle.

strength training increases size of heart, endurance training increases filling capaicity of the heart

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 27300man View Post
    I was just wondering if anybody had any extra info they can share regarding the heart muscle or any other internal organs effect on steroids ?

I was told by a PA (coworker a physicians assistant) that steroids cause the heart to work extra hard, causing enlargement. In other words, you'll have a swole shredded heart, which leads to Congestive heart failure in the long run.

Anyone hear of this? It does make sense tho!
    Not directly. That is what heavy lifting and high blood pressure do.
    Though a few AAS have been shown to increase the mass of rats's hearts (notably, Madol), the real concern is cardiovascular disease (arterial plaque buildup, etc) from poor lipids. All AAS affect lipids to some degree, but non-aromatising orals are horrible in this respect.

mtlbiceps is offline New Member
    I've always heard it is linked to very high dosages and long term abuse. Do things properly and the probably is less.

MTLBiceps

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    It works harder on gear through increase in contractility. The increased test causes higher nitrogen. Makes the heart contract harder. Then with increased fluid that increases the contractility also which strains the heart. That's why your body needs to be healthy for the best leanest growth possible

Thread Information