SilverTest is offline Senior Member

prolactin lowers FSH ??

hey guys,

how does prolactin cause infertility in males ?? anyone knows?

does it lower FSH levels ?? because i have high prolactin , the endo ordered a test for LH and FSH, LH came back normal, FSH is low .

can anyone elaborate on this please ?

hello anyone bump for swifto

bump

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    have your thyroid also checked. TSH can increase the release of prolactin.

also did u cycle ever? what was it? weird that FSH was low but LH not...

and no high prolactin does not cause infertility
    Low FSH causes failed sperm count, aka infertility

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I cant directly answer your question per se , but a couple points:
    1- Prolactin caused infertility = rare. One study on 71 infertile men showed only 2 had infertility issues that could be attributed to prolactin.
    What prolactin does is somewhat contradictory. Also the knowledge re: the topic on what it EXACTLY does in males seems sketchy.
    1- Prolactin is actually an anti armoatase
    2- prolactin stimulates lh receptor in lydig cells
    Both of those appear good. However I have also read:
    1- prolactin reduces gnrh and fsh (prob as a direct result of gnrh reduction)

SOOO i dunno .... Maybe high prolactin in your case is lowering gnrh which should lower lh and fsh but since it stimulates lh recptors in lydig cells your lh levels appear fine but fsh levels are low.
    This is 100% total speculation. In all honesty I cant say for sure.

Dopamine inhibts prolactin by increasing/acting as a prolactin inhibiting factor so some people use l dopa to self medicate and treat this.
    Traditional treatment would be a dopamine agonist that inhibits secretion of prolactin by pituitary. ( cabergoline,bromocriptine)

Dont know if any of this helped. Im really by no means an expert. These are all just things I have read and retained re: prolactin.

Blog Entries
    what was ur last cycle and pct?
    what hormones have you taken recently?
    are you a hard gainer? have a fast fast metabolism?

also have your thyroid checked. High TRH levels can cause high prolactin which inhibits GnRH (said above) High TRH levels would increase your thyroid levels, but at equal levels so that would hide the signs. but high thryoid levels mean fast metabolism, hard gainer, etc.

Low dopamine is similar to parkinsons - do you have any of those issues (shakes, etc) (extra-pyrmidal symptoms if u wanna google)

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    I cant directly answer your question per se , but a couple points:
    1- Prolactin caused infertility = rare. One study on 71 infertile men showed only 2 had infertility issues that could be attributed to prolactin.
    What prolactin does is somewhat contradictory. Also the knowledge re: the topic on what it EXACTLY does in males seems sketchy.
    1- Prolactin is actually an anti armoatase2- prolactin stimulates lh receptor in lydig cells
    Both of those appear good. However I have also read:
    1- prolactin reduces gnrh and fsh (prob as a direct result of gnrh reduction)

SOOO i dunno .... Maybe high prolactin in your case is lowering gnrh which should lower lh and fsh but since it stimulates lh recptors in lydig cells your lh levels appear fine but fsh levels are low.
    This is 100% total speculation. In all honesty I cant say for sure.

Dopamine inhibts prolactin by increasing/acting as a prolactin inhibiting factor so some people use l dopa to self medicate and treat this.
    Traditional treatment would be a dopamine agonist that inhibits secretion of prolactin by pituitary. ( cabergoline,bromocriptine)

Dont know if any of this helped. Im really by no means an expert. These are all just things I have read and retained re: prolactin.
    I believe you're thinking of progesterone, which is sometimes prescribed to HRT patients in lieu of an AI.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    I believe you're thinking of progesterone, which is sometimes prescribed to HRT patients in lieu of an AI.
    Hmm im pretty sure i read it (prolactin) decreases aromatase activity. Almost positive in fact. Again not an expert here - just repeating what ive read/remember.

I know progesterone prevents conversion of test to dht and is actually a test precursor to an extent. Wasnt aware it was used in lieu of an ai in hrt. I do remeber reading about a progesterone metabolite that functions as an ai ...

Not saying you arent correct and i am mistaken. Going by memory, but I do want to look it up when im not on my phone. This has me curious.

thanks for the replies guys , but i have checked my thyroid and it is excellent, everything is on the high normal level.

I just dont know what the hell is going on, and ya i did a 6 month cycle recently, i dont know how LH recovered and FSH did not or something like that, i am confused.

maybe i will just wait till my next visit to my endo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverTest View Post
    thanks for the replies guys , but i have checked my thyroid and it is excellent, everything is on the high normal level
    maybe i will just wait till my next visit to my endo.
    also have your thyroid checked. High TRH levels can cause high prolactin which inhibits GnRH (said above) High TRH levels would increase your thyroid levels, but at equal levels so that would hide the signs. but high thryoid levels mean fast metabolism, hard gainer, etc.
    *t3 and t4 ratios would be good, thats what they look at on blook work.

Thread Information