borkach is offline Junior Member

Arm going numb while squatting :S

So today was a legs day, did squats, and all of the sudden my left arm started to go numb while i was squatting.....WTF! does this happen to anyone?

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    you have a something pressing on a nerve around c-6/c-7 or c-7/l-1. stop squatting before you cause worst damage. get an x-ray to make sure and take ibuprofen.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    like your whole arm? where specifically did it go numb? what kind of squats did you do? strait bar? front squats? H-bar squats?

if it is an isolated incident i wouldnt bother with a xray/mri. if it starts to happen often and more throughout the day (not lifting) try to see what motion is causing the numbness.

^^ could be C5 also :-P

if its c-5, he is placing the bar WAY to high if doing back squats. Most instances that I saw in radiology and ER was c-6 c7 or l-1 area depending on neurological deficit or rediating pain/sensations. But no I wouldn't rule out c-5 either.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    True, i didnt think of it being a disc issue cuz it just went numb during squatting, if it were a disc i would bet he would say something like his arm is still numb... etc..

It would be easy to see if it were H-bar squats. Or he just has big traps :-D

Hope he replies sometime soon...

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    in 20yrs of squatting ive never experienced that or even heard of it. get to a doctor, no-one here is going to know.....

could be anything
    Last edited by dec11; 09-26-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    in 20yrs of squatting ive never experienced that or even heard of it. get to a doctor, no-one here is going to know.....
    that because you use correct form. think of someone placing the bar incorrectly on the base of the neck. talk about trouble.

Before I took the professional path I have now, I was a medic for 10 years. Worked in the radiology and ER while in school and then worked in the ER and in the field after school. Love the medical field but the money is great as what I am doing now.

money isnt as great as now. sorry^^

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 10nispro View Post
    that because you use correct form. think of someone placing the bar incorrectly on the base of the neck. talk about trouble.

Before I took the professional path I have now, I was a medic for 10 years. Worked in the radiology and ER while in school and then worked in the ER and in the field after school. Love the medical field but the money is great as what I am doing now.
    i really cant see a squat bar doing something like that (believe it or not i know plifters who prefer the bar high up!), possibility he had a shoulder condition arising and if he had a heavy bar low on the traps that would pull the shoulder back under alot of stress with possible nerve upset.

i know my squat has been difficult after my rotator damage, i find major discomfort in getting the bar as low on my back as i did in my comp days. i tend to get a dead arm after trying to get it too low now.

only guessing though, im no doc lol
    Last edited by dec11; 09-26-2011 at 09:24 PM.

The Titan99 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If it's your index finger and thumb it's C6-C7. Had the same thing and had to get disk replacement surgery for it last year. I'd get it checked out. Many heavy lifts can cause that, squats being one of them. My surgery corrected it 100%.

borkach is offline Junior Member
    I started back squatting only a month ago ( because i had a knee injury before that). and yea, its my whole left arm, not completely numb but i can feel it gradually going more and more numb when squatting (only on heavy sets). Next time ill try putting the bar a little lower. How about that pad thing that people put on the bar, would that help too?

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borkach View Post
    So today was a legs day, did squats, and all of the sudden my left arm started to go numb while i was squatting.....WTF! does this happen to anyone?
    When I do high reps (like 20 or more) both arm start to go numb nearly every time. I don't see it as a big deal at all. Having my arms in that position for an extended period of time will do that.

upperhandy is offline Member
    you can try

1) using a squat pad (or padded squat collar) if you insist on doing regular squats

2) do front squats instead... this will keep weight off of your neck

1000_DaysAsTheLion is offline Junior Member
    />
    gl, let us know what works for u.

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    my arms also get like that,, its usually just the way they are positioned on the bar and the pressing down cuts off the circulation

Thread Information