LiftSpotter205 is offline New Member

cutting supertest with sterile cottonseed oil

In an effort to reduce the weeklong ache from SuperTest 450 I'm going to try cutting it with filtered cottonseed oil from a research supply company. I have never sterilized oils before or cut my test with a non AS. I want to make sure I'm going to do it right.
    From what I understand, I extract the filtered oil from the container, which is a screw off, and inject that in a 10ml glass vial with a plastic seal. I am a bit concerned about putting something with a plastic component in the oven. I believe the time and temperature is 250 degrees for 40 minutes.
    What I'm not sure about is the temperature I should use, for how long, and whether or not I leave a needle in the vial for venting. Also if I'm using a 10ml vial what is the most cottonseed oil I should put in it?
    I've also read you should premix the test and sterilized oil into one syringe and let it sit so they have time to mix well.
    Having used supertest before I can assure you who haven't your sites don't get used to it quickly.

I'm seeing alot of mixed messages on sterilizing oil.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you want to heat sterilize the oil, just add it to a pyrex beaker and place it on a burner at 300°f for 2 hours. Then after its cooled to 120°f you will still want to filter it through a .22um syringe filter to remove dead bacteria and other particulate matter than can cuase injection site pain.

However since its likely that the UGL never properly filtered the gear (the .22um filter can actually remove most germs and viruses) why not mix it 50/50 with the Supertest 450 in a syringe then filter the mixture into your new sealed steril 10ml serum bottles, then let it sit a week? This way you will be ensuring that very little viable bacteria enters the vial and hopefully after a week any bacteria colonies present will have died off and the BA in the Supertest will prevent the formation of new colonies. By the way since you will probably have to order your syringe filter anyway you may as well get a small bottle of BA and using an insulin syringe add 10iu or 1/10 th of a ml to each 10 ml bottle of your final mixture this will give you 1% new BA to fight the formation of any new colonies.

FFM

LiftSpotter205 is offline New Member
    So its likely that even though the oil comes filtered it still has some contamination.

What are the proper steps to prepare the glassware prior to baking? I would think it would be smart to bake the glassware itself for a period of time, let it cool then rinse it out with the most sterile water possible.

Do people ever bake the gear they receive? It looks like a filtration system is about a 50 dollar filter and a 50 dollar pump. Anything else needed for that system?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You're making this WAY too complicated.
    Just buy some sterile oil and combine it with the Supertest.
    I'd just do a 1:1 ratio, giving you 225mg/ml.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I brew my own... If I were to cut it I would get a sterile vial big enough to fit all of the gear, so like a 25 ml jug then transfer the grad to there then put a whatman .22um filter on a syringe and push filtered oil right into it then add 1% ba.

I never cooked my gear, hear denatures gear so do t wanna risk it

Thread Information