mirin_serratus is offline Associate Member

does training legs take away from potential upper body gains on cycle?

I'm not one of those bi's and tri's only guys. My legs are a bit big compared to my upper body (27 inchs vs 16 in arms) and I was wondering if only training upper body would lead to more upper body gains on cycle. You won't really benefit from the natural anabolic effect from squats and deadlifts, and your body only has a limited capability/resources to build muscle right?

On a related note, I've read a lot about the so called natural limit, which for a 5'10 guy like me would about around 190 lean. Would having too much mass on my legs limit my ability to put on upper body mass?

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    are you for real?!

MeatHead85 is offline Associate Member
    Bi's and tri's only how silly. I wouldn't think working your legs is going to take away from your upper body size. You want to grow more then eat more. Don't NOT work your legs!
    Last edited by MeatHead85; 12-16-2011 at 11:56 PM.

pikenat is offline Associate Member
    Legs will make your whole body grow, just look in the mirror. When you squat your veins everywere are buldging which carry blood (which carries nutrients) everywhere. My philosophy, if it sucks and is hard for you (squats, deadlifts etc) its hard for a reason, do it more!

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    very funny post man....your BIG legs are helping you stay lean also..more muscle you have the more calories your body needs to maintain that muscle...

ddp2727 is offline Associate Member
    Heavy squats actually increases free test in your body so therefore making upper body gains even easier.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddp2727 View Post
    Heavy squats actually increases free test in your body so therefore making upper body gains even easier.
    you gave him the key to the mint...

nik1603 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11
    are you for real?!
    X 2 lol

guys what about on cycle....

I know squatting makes you big/increases natural test etc... thats why I squat 3 times a week
    but on cycle your body doesn't control your test levels

Quote Originally Posted by mirin_serratus

I know squatting makes you big/increases natural test etc... thats why I squat 3 times a week
    #1 if you are thinking that doing legs while on cycle hurts upper body gains then why are you doing them 3 times per week.
    #2 on cycle or not basic bodybuilding principles are still the same. Genetics+diet+routine+rest=outcome. The gear allows you to do more because of muscle repeat time and protein synthesis.

To further drive this point home I guess you could say each body part has its own potential and that potential is not affected or effected by another body part reaching its maximum potential, however, it can be limited because another body part is lagging behind. If anything your legs could possibly be bigger if your upper body were bigger as well. Now if proportions is what you are referring to then you need to figure out how to get your body to the proportion you are looking for. Btw if I sounded like an a$$ sorry don't mean to, just tired and unable to sleep. Hope this helps.

ata1979 is offline Associate Member
    I believe that the human body has a natural balance. Your upper body can grow only so far to the point your lower body can support. There is no scientific data but nature is all about balance. I believe that after awhile your upper body will stop growing because of the disproportion. I have neglected my lower body in the past at times and when I started working legs I noticed gains in my bench in the following weeks. Like I said, theres no scientific data, so my beliefs could be BS, but I am very good at listening to my body and thats what it tells me

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    legs are the key to test release. nothing worse than the guy at the gym that does arms everyday...

MR10X is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Squats dont increase your natural test level,it is controlled by your feed back system.At 50 i had blood work done and my test levels were low even when i was squating twice a week. If your taking steroids its a mute point. Not everybody wants the same goals,if your legs are big enough then you can do less leg work.Your upper body will continue to grow.Dont know why people here have to be such asses,if you dont want to answer the question...move on

cro
    Blog Entries
    i didnt see any post were people were that bad to the op .i think when your younger they are a very important part to making your body grow. and yes they do increase test levels. that is a proven fact. ive known that since i was a kid.maybe at 50 your test levels have depleated so they dont show an increase.. squats are the key.......im not saying your wrong mr 10x ,i see you have put your time in. i just dont want people to get comfortable not including the most important exercise.......

Quote Originally Posted by MR10X
    Squats dont increase your natural test level,it is controlled by your feed back system.At 50 i had blood work done and my test levels were low even when i was squating twice a week. If your taking steroids its a mute point. Not everybody wants the same goals,if your legs are big enough then you can do less leg work.Your upper body will continue to grow.Dont know why people here have to be such asses,if you dont want to answer the question...move on
    Like I stated at the very end of my response if I sounded like an ass that was not my intent. My filter had worn off and I knew that so I tried to make that clear at the end of my point so OP if YOU felt I was being an a$$ then my apologies to you. Everyone that took me as being an a$$ tough sh!t I wasn't answering your question. Now all exercise that anyone does raises testosterone level to a degree. Doesn't matter if it is moving a finger. The degree at which the test is released is dependent on many factors (amount of force, number of muscle fibers engaged,time of day in relation to sleep and food intake, types of food,ect.) now since squats incorporates the highest amount of weight used and muscle fibers engaged it does raise test levels the most, hence HEAVY squats raise your NATURAL test levels more than any other exercise you do, but as you stated while on cycle it mute point so why would you be an a$$ about your take of others points? But you and me did agree that if he is happy with his leg size then lay off them a little because like you I do understand we all have different goals in this game. I just choose to use the word "proportioned" to let the OP know that this was an option, and obviously your better broken down version was much easier for all to understand and is the route I should have taken when attempting to explain so props there mate. On this if I sound a little blount it was with intentions. Not to be an a$$ but because I was rubbed the wrong way by your comment. Unlike a lot of members here I don't hate or disagree with everything you say but for you to group me in with the group that you have on your "ignore" list because I was offering up sincere advice (while I was tired, and realized what I was typing could be taken the wrong way and I apologized for that on the front end for not taking the time to figure out how not to sound like an a$$) did rub me the wrong way man. Alright my peace has been spoken and im done with it. I hope you continue to offer up your views and opinions because I do respect them and usually (a)inspire me to do further research into the subject because you offer up a very interesting view point &(b) agree with what you say because you do usually look at both sides of things and speak from vast experience.

Sorry for the rant guys.

boomerfb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirin_serratus

Squat heavy once a week and do a light squat with lots reps, 3 times??? The rest is cardio

Testosterone. is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirin_serratus View Post

I couldn't handle doing squats 3 times a week and still do my other muscle groups. Dead lifts & Squats wear me out.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Dont not do legs but be painfully honest with yourself. If you have part of your physique that sucks.. on men its sometimes upper chest or forearms.. you need to have a plan to bring those up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MR10X View Post
    all from the guy who gives the worst advice on this board, maybe you'd benefit if you looked at post histories etc and got a complete picture of who is asking questions.

some more for your ignore button then, must be 3/4 of the forum by this stage.....
    Last edited by dec11; 12-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    OP, i'll be frank with you. after reading your post history you shouldnt even be contemplating AAS, if you dont even know the basics of training and diet then you're nowhere near ready.

Blog Entries

this statement is a prime example.....

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    OP You can't build a mansion on a crappy foundation.

X3 a week is overkill but working the legs is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ata1979 View Post
    Just gotta say the woman in your avi is smoking hot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    this statement is a prime example.....
    prime example of what lol? so all the 5x5 and strength routines out there are "bad training" because you have to squat 3x a week? not sure if serious...

but thanks for the help guys, a lot of good advice
    Last edited by mirin_serratus; 12-17-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    prime example of what lol? so all the 5x5 and strength routines out there are "bad training" because you have to squat 3x a week? not sure is serious...

but thanks for the help guys, a lot of good advice
    squatting x3 per wek is overtraining

MR10X is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I'm not one of those bi's and tri's only guys. My legs are a bit big compared to my upper body (27 inchs vs 16 in arms) and I was wondering if only training upper body would lead to more upper body gains on cycle. You won't really benefit from the natural anabolic effect from squats and deadlifts, and your body only has a limited capability/resources to build muscle right?

On a related note, I've read a lot about the so called natural limit, which for a 5'10 guy like me would about around 190 lean. Would having too much mass on my legs limit my ability to put on upper body mass?
    Would your upper body grow faster if you didnt train legs While your on a cycle,no it probably wouldnt make any difference. As for squat increasing your test levels,not while your on cycle it wont because your body is not producing any test because its shut down..will too much mass limit your ability to put on mass in your upper body....no

mephisto212 is offline New Member
    Is this real life?

cro
    Blog Entries
    im lost with this 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mephisto212 View Post
    Is this real life?

Thread Information