Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member

Insulin for Cutting?

I have always thought of insulin as a bulking hormone. I understand that it decreases lipolysis and can increase fat stores, but when used properly, this problem can be reduced.

Recently, I have seen some people using insulin during cutting cycles, and I even heard of a "pro" using it for contest prep to keep the muscles "full." What are your thoughts on this? Can insulin be effectively used during a cutting cycle? How would you use it? Only post-workout? Can you get away with Humulin-R?

I am always aware of the dangers associated with insulin, and the responsibility, awareness, and knowledge it demands.

Feedback appreciated,
    -SF

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Well Insulin can be the ultimate cutting drug however it is very dangerous. I don't recommend it to anyone. It can be used to go into ketosis in a matter of hours rather than having to wait days by using a regular diet(This is extremely dangerous and not recommended). It can also be used precontest to force carbs back in to the muscles during the carb up phase.

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    Ok, I see...so the conventional anabolic purposes are not of interest to the dieting body builder. It is simply the ketosis one is looking for. Afterall, a proper cutting diet and insuling don't mix.

But then again, what if you were to use it maybe 3 times per week after training and give yourself plenty of carbs. Would this severely set you back in obtaining the low body fat desired?

I guess the main problem is a conflict of interest. You shouldn't be cutting unless you are already satisfied with your muscle mass. Using insulin to gain on a cutting cycle is counter-productive.

-SF

Thread Information