badmoon1 is offline Junior Member

Saw palmetto- Any need for it?

My doc suggested I take saw palmetto for "prostate health" back when I was doing TRT. Now I'm on my first cycle I still take it, but haven't heard it discussed here. Recent studies seem to confirm it doesn't really work. Maybe I'll just bag it. I had no prostate problems. Preventitice he said

Preventitive I mean. That's what the doc said.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take it. PSA always comes back good on bw.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    of course, i take the bulk powder (in the morning). purchased a few years ago. tastes nasty like something came up from your stomach. I take a gram a day. Plus I take some caps of a prostate health supplement from Walmart at night.

Atomini is offline Banned
    I'm pretty sure that it does not block HDT in the prostate as originally thought. I read somewhere that what it actually does is reduce inflammation of the prostate. So, it does help to treat and prevent BPH but not by any hormonal action as originally thought. There is research that shows that its anti inflammatory effects are also useful for joint inflammation.

dren is offline Associate Member
    purity of the product, where it came from and dosage level plays the factor of natural product, other than that its pointless

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I don't know what recent studies you're referring to, but the US National Library of MedicineNational Institutes of Health (PubMed) is filled with conclusively positive trials, studies, and articles on Saw P, and its ability to not only support prostate function, but arrest and inhibit cancerous growths. It's the real deal.
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=317700

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=306144

BE CAREFUL!

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Here is three minutes worth of searching:

Phytother Res. 2012 Feb;26(2):259-64. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3537. Epub 2011 Jun 8.
    Androgen-independent effects of Serenoa repens extract (Prostasan®) on prostatic epithelial cell proliferation and inflammation.
    Iglesias-Gato D, Carsten T, Vesterlund M, Pousette A, Schoop R, Norstedt G.
    Source
    Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden.

Abstract
    Extracts from Serenoa repens are widely used for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and traditionally for prostatitis. In the present study we evaluated the biological effects of Serenoa repens extract (Prostasan®) on prostate cells beyond its known antiandrogenic actions. Prostasan® inhibited epidermal growth factor (EGF) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) induced proliferation of the prostatic epithelial, androgen independent cell line PC-3. At effective concentrations of 50 µg/mL, Prostasan® partly displaced EGF from EGF receptor (EGFR) but fully blocked EGF-induced cell proliferation of PC-3 cells. Similarly, Prostasan® inhibited LPS-induced proliferation of PC-3 cells without affecting LPS activation of the NFĸB pathway via toll-like receptor-4 (TLR-4). Additionally, Prostasan® reduced the constitutive secretion of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1), the LPS-induced secretion of IL-12 and inhibited MCP-1 and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) production in the presence of LPS on PC-3 cells. Taken together, our results suggest that S. repens extracts, in addition to other reported effects on BPH development and prostatitis, inhibits EGF-dependent growth and proinflammatory responses of the prostate epithelial cells.
    Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Phytother Res. 2012 Apr 23. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4696. [Epub ahead of print]
    Improving BPH symptoms and sexual dysfunctions with a saw palmetto preparation? Results from a pilot trial.
    Suter A, Saller R, Riedi E, Heinrich M.
    Source
    Medical Department, A. Vogel Bioforce AG, Roggwil, Switzerland; School of Pharmacy, University of London, University College London, London, United Kingdom. [email protected].

Abstract
    In elderly men, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a major risk factor for sexual dysfunctions (SDys). Additionally, the standard treatments for BPH symptoms, alpha blockers and 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, cause SDys themselves. Preparations from saw palmetto berries are an efficacious and well-tolerated symptomatic treatment for mild to moderate BPH and have traditionally been used to treat SDys. We conducted an open multicentric clinical pilot trial to investigate whether the saw palmetto berry preparation Prostasan® influenced BPH symptoms and SDys. Eighty-two patients participated in the 8-week trial, taking one capsule of 320 mg saw palmetto extract daily. At the end of the treatment, the International Prostate Symptom Score was reduced from 14.4 ± 4.7 to 6.9 ± 5.2 (p < 0.0001); SDys measured with the brief Sexual Function Inventory improved from 22.4 ± 7.2 to 31.4 ± 9.2 (p < 0.0001), and the Urolife BPH QoL-9 sex total improved from 137.3 ± 47.9 to 195.0 ± 56.3 (p < 0.0001). Investigators' and patients' assessments confirmed the good efficacy, and treatment was very well tolerated and accepted by the patients. Correlation analyses confirmed the relationship between improved BPH symptoms and reduced SDys. This was the first trial with saw palmetto to show improvement in BPH symptoms and SDys as well. [Corrections made here after initial online publication.] Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Potency of a novel saw palmetto ethanol extract, SPET-085, for inhibition of 5alpha-reductase II.
    Pais P.
    Source
    Euromed, 08100 Mollet del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain. [email protected]

Abstract
    INTRODUCTION:
    The nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH)-dependent membrane protein 5alpha-reductase irreversibly catalyses the conversion of testosterone to the most potent androgen, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). In humans, two 5alpha-reductase isoenyzmes are expressed: type I and type II. Type II is found primarily in prostate tissue. Saw palmetto extract (SPE) has been widely used for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The mechanisms of the pharmacological effects of SPE include the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase, among other actions. Clinical studies of SPE have been equivocal, with some showing significant results and others not. These inconsistent results may be due, in part, to varying bioactivities of the SPE used in the studies.
    METHODS:
    The aim of the present study was to determine the in vitro potency of a novel saw palmetto ethanol extract (SPET-085), an inhibitor of the 5alpha-reductase isoenzyme type II, in a cell-free test system. On the basis of the enzymatic conversion of the substrate androstenedione to the 5alpha-reduced product 5alpha-androstanedione, the inhibitory potency was measured and compared to those of finasteride, an approved 5alpha-reductase inhibitor.
    RESULTS:
    SPET-085 concentration-dependently inhibited 5alpha-reductase type II in vitro (IC(50)=2.88+/-0.45 microg/mL). The approved 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, finasteride, tested as positive control, led to 61% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase type II.
    CONCLUSION:
    SPET-085 effectively inhibits the enzyme that has been linked to BPH, and the amount of extract required for activity is very low compared to data reported for other extracts. It can be concluded from data in the literature that SPET-085 is as effective as a hexane extract of saw palmetto that exhibited the highest levels of bioactivity, and is more effective than other SPEs tested. This study confirmed that SPET-085 has prostate health-promoting bioactivity that also corresponds favorably to that reported for the established prescription drug standard of therapy, finasteride.
    ---------------------------------------

Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1675-82. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.996. Epub 2011 Apr 4.
    Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells by ProstaCaid™: mechanism of activity.
    Jiang J, Eliaz I, Sliva D.
    Source
    Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indiana University Health, 1800 N Capitol Ave, E504, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA.

Abstract
    Since the use of dietary supplements as alternative treatments or adjuvant therapies in cancer treatment is growing, a scientific verification of their biological activity and the detailed mechanisms of their action are necessary for the acceptance of dietary supplements in conventional cancer treatments. In the present study we have evaluated the anti-cancer effects of dietary supplement ProstaCaid™ (PC) which contains mycelium from medicinal mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum, Coriolus versicolor, Phellinus linteus), saw palmetto berry, pomegranate, pumpkin seed, green tea [40% epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)], Japanese knotweed (50% resveratrol), extracts of turmeric root (BCM-95®), grape skin, pygeum bark, sarsaparilla root, Scutellaria barbata, eleuthero root, Job's tears, astragalus root, skullcap, dandelion, coptis root, broccoli, and stinging nettle, with purified vitamin C, vitamin D3, selenium, quercetin, citrus bioflavonoid complex, β sitosterolzinc, lycopene, α lipoic acid, boron, berberine and 3.3'-diinodolymethane (DIM). We show that PC treatment resulted in the inhibition of cell proliferation of the highly invasive human hormone refractory (independent) PC-3 prostate cancer cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner with IC50 56.0, 45.6 and 39.0 µg/ml for 24, 48 and 72 h, respectively. DNA-microarray analysis demonstrated that PC inhibits proliferation through the modulation of expression of CCND1, CDK4, CDKN1A, E2F1, MAPK6 and PCNA genes. In addition, PC also suppresses metastatic behavior of PC-3 by the inhibition of cell adhesion, cell migration and cell invasion, which was associated with the down-regulation of expression of CAV1, IGF2, NR2F1, and PLAU genes and suppressed secretion of the urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) from PC-3 cells. In conclusion, the dietary supplement PC is a promising natural complex with the potency to inhibit invasive human prostate cancer.
    ------------------------------

Int J Oncol. 2007 Sep;31(3):593-600.
    Saw Palmetto induces growth arrest and apoptosis of androgen-dependent prostate cancer LNCaP cells via inactivation of STAT 3 and androgen receptor signaling.
    Yang Y, Ikezoe T, Zheng Z, Taguchi H, Koeffler HP, Zhu WG.
    Source
    Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, PR China. [email protected]

Abstract
    PC-SPES is an eight-herb mixture that has an activity against prostate cancer. Recently, we purified Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) from PC-SPES and found that Saw Palmetto induced growth arrest of prostate cancer LNCaP, DU145, and PC3 cells with ED50s of approximately 2.0, 2.6, and 3.3 microl/ml, respectively, as measured by mitochondrial-dependent conversion of the the 3-(4, 5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2, 5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay. Saw Palmetto induced apoptosis of LNCaP cells in a time- and dose-dependent manner as measured by TUNEL assays. Also, Saw Palmetto increased the expression of p21waf1 and p53 protein in LNCaP cells. In addition, we found that Saw Palmetto down-regulated DHT- or IL-6-induced expression of prostate specific antigen in conjunction with down-regulation of the level of androgen receptor in the nucleus as measured by Western blot analysis. Moreover, Saw Palmetto down-regulated the IL-6-induced level of the phosphorylated form of STAT 3 in LNCaP cells. Furthermore, Saw Palmetto inhibited the growth of LNCaP cells present as tumor xenografts in BALB/c nude mice without adverse effect. These results indicate that Saw Palmetto might be useful for the treatment of individuals with prostate cancer.
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=317700

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=306144

BE CAREFUL!

kmms is offline Productive Member
    i think every man over 40 should seriously consider finding a good saw p. product and using it daily.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badmoon1 View Post
    My doc suggested I take saw palmetto for "prostate health" back when I was doing TRT. Now I'm on my first cycle I still take it, but haven't heard it discussed here. Recent studies seem to confirm it doesn't really work. Maybe I'll just bag it. I had no prostate problems. Preventitice he said
    I dont like Saw Palmetto. Ive used it numerous times,,,various brands and dosages and this stuff gives me gyno symptoms EVERY time.

if you can't use saw palmetto at least eat a good amount of watermelon and/or tomato for the lycopene, which is generally considered beneficial in the fight against prostate cancer.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Gyno from it?
    Didnt know that was possible

Quote Originally Posted by Juced_porkchop View Post
    Gyno from it?
    Didnt know that was possible
    ya that sounded a bit off to me as well but i'm here to learn. just yesterday i learned that steroids may make you grow a vagina, so anything is possible i suppose.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes. There are a few studies suggesting supplements with phytoestrogenic properties may mimic estrogen's effects on the body, including increasing breast tissue. Such herbs include red clover, alfalfa, licorice, saw palmetto, ginseng and black cohosh.

Clear as mud now. Think ill just keep using my AI and let the SP run out.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Yes. There are a few studies suggesting supplements with phytoestrogenic properties may mimic estrogen's effects on the body, including increasing breast tissue. Such herbs include red clover, alfalfa, licorice, saw palmetto, ginseng and black cohosh.
    very interesting. i think i probably set a world record for eating real licorice thanks to my grams always having it around. have regularly taken korean ginseng supplements as well as saw palmetto and still have no estrogen issues. purely anecdotal i know, everyone really does respond differently.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmms

very interesting. i think i probably set a world record for eating real licorice thanks to my grams always having it around. have regularly taken korean ginseng supplements as well as saw palmetto and still have no estrogen issues. purely anecdotal i know, everyone really does respond differently.
    Ya....I don't know what to make of the limited studies. I took ginseng for years with no obvious unpleasant effects. Saw palmetto is a bit more interesting. A few of my urologist colleagues say it offers no benefit to PSA or a healthy prostate. Others say it will lower PSA however it can also mask abnormalities in the prostate because the PSA effects are false negatives. Others have no opinion on the subject. It seems there isn't a straight forward answer!

Lots of conflicting data is what I found also.

Thread Information