Thread: Cholesterol

OKCity is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol

Just wanted to see how much of an affect that a SERM would have on your cholesterol? Negatively? In particular letro

Bump

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKCity View Post
    Just wanted to see how much of an affect that a SERM would have on your cholesterol? Negatively? In particular letro
    Letrozole is not a SERM, it's an Aromatase Inhibitor. SERM's are anti-estrogen medications like Nolvadex , Clomid, etc. SERM's should actually help improve cholesterol as they act as estrogen in the liver. AI's like Letro can potentially have a negative effect on cholesterol. How much is up for debate but it does appear to have a stronger, negative effect when an AI is used with anabolic steroids , especially regarding HDL suppression.

Okay yea, apologies I know that letro is a not a SERM, and that it is an AI. But you answered the question.

Obviously time it's ran and the amount would have more of a effect. The reason I'm asking this question is for my accutane prescription. As it in itself akready raise cholesterol, I'm just curious on how much more of an effect would letro have on cholesterol. Obviously my sic doesn't know I'm taking letro so when I give blood for BW, and he a significant raise in cholesterol outside normal rates for accutane, he will take me off of it

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKCity
    Bump
    No reason to bump after 10 mins mate.

In general, SERMs have less impact on lipid profiles than AIs. SERMs are known to slightly improve lipid profiles and offset negative effects of androgens. For example, testosterone E alone without an AI has very little impact on HDL within 12 wks, whereas the same test-E dose with an AI can lower HDL by 25% during the same period.

Appreciate the advice

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    No reason to bump after 10 mins mate.

In general, SERMs have less impact on lipid profiles than AIs. SERMs are known to slightly improve lipid profiles and offset negative effects of androgens. For example, testosterone E alone without an AI has very little impact on HDL within 12 wks, whereas the same test-E dose with an AI can lower HDL by 25% during the same period.
    Test-e alone without an AI, its effect on cholesterol would be highly dependent on the total dose. I agree, a low dose, such as a TRT dose should have a negligible effect. However, if we look at the study performed by the American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology, which measured test-e effects on doses ranging from 25mg/wk to 600mg/wk, the 600mg/wk group had a notablee decrease in HDL cholesterol. However, the NEJM study using the same dosing but for a shorter period of time seemed to support a lower rate of suppression. Other studies have noted an approximate 21% HDL reduction when using test-e alone at 600mg/wk, but this is normally associated with longterm use. Half the dose tends to support an approximate 13% reduction, again with no AI. Add in the AI, and while I don't know of any specific study off hand to support this, it would tend to suggest total suppression would be a little greater.

In the end, I think genetic factors obviously play a role. One's diet would also be a key factor, but we can't rule out the possible exasperated effect when using an AI. In my opinion, while many side effects of steroid use often get far more attention than those of a cardiovascular nature by steroid users, they should receive more attention than anything else as it represents the most important factor regarding safety and longterm health.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalject

Test-e alone without an AI, its effect on cholesterol would be highly dependent on the total dose. I agree, a low dose, such as a TRT dose should have a negligible effect. However, if we look at the study performed by the American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology, which measured test-e effects on doses ranging from 25mg/wk to 600mg/wk, the 600mg/wk group had a notablee decrease in HDL cholesterol. However, the NEJM study using the same dosing but for a shorter period of time seemed to support a lower rate of suppression. Other studies have noted an approximate 21% HDL reduction when using test-e alone at 600mg/wk, but this is normally associated with longterm use. Half the dose tends to support an approximate 13% reduction, again with no AI. Add in the AI, and while I don't know of any specific study off hand to support this, it would tend to suggest total suppression would be a little greater.

In the end, I think genetic factors obviously play a role. One's diet would also be a key factor, but we can't rule out the possible exasperated effect when using an AI. In my opinion, while many side effects of steroid use often get far more attention than those of a cardiovascular nature by steroid users, they should receive more attention than anything else as it represents the most important factor regarding safety and longterm health.
    Yes, correct. Without dissecting every conceivable factor or enumerating every published study on the subject, the consensus is that SERMs have less an impact on lipids relative to their AI counterparts. Clearly anabolics do exert a negative effect on lipids, of which the impact is exacerbated by AIs. The study I referenced can be further reviewed in

Metabolism 39(1), 1990. 69-74.

Not disputing your well articulated response Metalject. Clearly the degree of derivations on lipids in response to hormone manipulation is driven by numerous factors (genetics, environment, nutrition, therapies, etc.)

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    I love getting educated on this subject! I have alot to learn yet and I have got to learn it quick. Getting my second round of BW done in 2 weeks. I dropped the AI, and I just lowered my test to 75mgs weekly. Purchased Tamox for the next time I cycle, whenver that may be. MuscleInk and Metalject are THE men on this subject!

Just wanted to give an update. So after I've been taking letro for the past 2 weeks I got blood work done. The only thing that changed was my low density cholesterol ( bad cholesterol ) DOUBLED! Went from 70 to bout 140. So in conclusion I can't say for sure that it was the letro alone. What I do know is that I ate as clean as possible while on letro, and it still doubled. Perhaps it is the letro, even still Los density cholesterol isn't considered dangerous level until it hit the 500 mark

Thread Information