alex18 is offline Member

cycle timing - Endurance/ironman

alright fella's im racking my brains together trying to figure out how to plan the timing of my cycle(s).

The usual back ground... 29, 6ft 3, 225, 15% bf... currently on 3.6iu HGH (5/2)and will be staying on this throughout.

Ok all that jazz aside my question is really based around when i should time my cycles. I would prefer a response from someone with experience with endurance training, no offence to the big guys but its a very different side of the coin. I always read every endurance thread...and they are always around 'what should i take'....nothing about the timing...hence this thread

In 20 weeks time i will be racing a 70.3 ironman...two weeks after i will be racing another 70.3. I signed up for the second one but then got roped into the first for charity and couldnt really back out. Providing i stay injury free I should be able to recover in time to put in a good showing at the second race too. I had a good off season, lifted heavy throughout and got some good gains in strength and i have a solid endurance level to build upon over the next 20 weeks. (ive been doing these races for a few years). I have successfully used low dose test E and EQ in the past and liked it but used it mostly as a recovery aid and LBM loss minimiser throughout a the summer which included shorter distance tri's. The goals this year will be the same in that i want to try and retain LBM and aid recovery throughout the countless hours of training i will be putting in. I am not too concerned with any weight gain... im already a big guy so im not going to win anything... the ability to recover and train longer and harder is more important to me.

So i have 20 weeks until race 1...22 weeks until race two... my training will really start to ramp up time wise in february, and i want to be able to recover well during the 2 weeks between races and the 2 weeks post race 2.

one option i had thought of was maybe starting out with a shorter cycle of low dose Test prop EOD for maybe 6- 8 weeks - taking 4 weeks off with PCT and then jumping back in with low dose TEST E or C and EQ for 14 weeks... i have 0 experience with test Prop....

another option to stay on low dose test (e or c) for 24 weeks - but i dont want a major shut down and dont fancy injections for life...

another option to just wait nearer the time and run test and eq with an aim to move onto PCT a week or so after the last race.

so.... if you have any ideas of how to plan my 24 weeks..let me know.. i'm all ears.
    Last edited by alex18; 01-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

alex18 is offline Member
    fyi...my gut tells me to go option 3 and wait.... but i would like a way to not wait...

Alinjr is offline Senior Member
    You could try either. I wouldn't wait to long. Good luck.

alex18 is offline Member
    thanks Bro....

maybe some MMA fighters out there have thoughts as preparing for a race is probably similar to preparing for a fight..

alex18 is offline Member
    Nobody? :-( don't make me cry boys...

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Eeesh man. The 24 weeker at "a low dose of test as to not cause a major shutdown" is a horrible idea. It is going to shut you down and is WAY too long of a duration. Just stick with a good dose of test, your choice of ester, and go with it. I like test P, and I like it for 8 weeks. That should be all you need. Goodluck!

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    mma and iron man are no way the same. Your cycle options are really up to you and what you are willing to risk.

alex18 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t-dogg View Post
    mma and iron man are no way the same. Your cycle options are really up to you and what you are willing to risk.
    I was referring to the timing aspect - not the cycle contents...... timing a cycle for optimum performance on a specific day/week.

and yeah - agree that 24 week run is foolish (i even put that in the post 'dont want inj for life) but wanted to see peoples thoughts all the same...

The biggest thing that I feel is the blood work after a cycle. If you rebound back fast then you "can" start up again. Most would say PCT plus cycle time is how long you stay off.

alex18 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t-dogg View Post
    The biggest thing that I feel is the blood work after a cycle. If you rebound back fast then you "can" start up again. Most would say PCT plus cycle time is how long you stay off.
    Yeah I figured that... Ah decision decisions....

Personally I dont think its worth it unless there is big money involved.

Thread Information