Crooktele79 is offline New Member

AAS use with hypothyroidism

Hello everyone,

First time poster here...Over the last 16 months I have lost a little over 250lbs going from 470 to just under 220. I am 33 6'1" and I would say 20-23%bf. I have been lifting a little over a year now and have seen decent strength gains despite my constant calorie deficit.

On to my question... I am interested in trying a test only cycle once I get a few more years of training under my belt, but I have hypothyroidism. I am curious to know if AAS use would screw up my thyroid levels? I currently take 300mcg of synthroid daily. Thanks for any insight you can provide

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Welcome. And congradulations on the weight loss!

Thanks! Lots of great info here. I love reading through this stuff even though I am a ways off from planning a cycle.

Sorry to post twice, as my cat stepped on my keyboard. You havent been lifting very long and I am sure you are getting stronger by the day. Running AAS at your BF, although not terrible,you are at an increased risk of estrogenic side effects. I am sure most of it is excess skin, I would still hold off a bit longer. With your body still adjusting to the radpid weightloss, and your muscles getting more developed through training, I feel it would be best to strengthen your ligaments and muscle tissue a little more, as to not cause damage that could potentially put you down for some time and cause you to put some weight back on due to missing workout days. You have done an absolute amazing job at losing the weight, so you should still be basking in that accomplishment and working to keep up the good work.

AAS may very well be in your near future, and if it is a choice you do decide, we'll be more than happy to assist you in anyway possible. But we are more concerned with a persons health and overall well being first, AAS second (or 3rd) and I am proud to be a part of this community because of that.

As far as the thryoid concern, I am not knowledgable enought to assist you in that. I really dont know, so I wont even try. Hopefully someone chimes in, if they havent already while I am typing all of this up (very slow typer).

Lol it's all good man...I'm actually planning on cutting to ~12-13% then clean bulking for 6-8 months with another cut to follow before even thinking about a cycle. I agree that I need some time under the weights to build up my tendons and ligaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooktele79 View Post
    Lol it's all good man...I'm actually planning on cutting to ~12-13% then clean bulking for 6-8 months with another cut to follow before even thinking about a cycle. I agree that I need some time under the weights to build up my tendons and ligaments.
    Awesome man! I look forward to you being a part here. We need inspiration here. It helps us get motivated. Stick around and learn is the best advice I can give you. I love this place!

And I hope that you didnt mistake my saying that 23% BF was fat or over-weight because that isnt what I meant. The aromatase enzyme is active in the fatty tissue. I was referring to the risk associated with aromatization, not that you are fat by any means. Your stats right now are probably better than mine, and I guarantee you your dedication is. I just wanted to clear that up because you are by no means fat anymore. It is commonly said here that a BF% at 15 or under is the best, with 12 or under being optimal. So if you are cutting even lower, it might be a great idea for you to post a log in the members section for us to follow. You dont have to post pics if you dont want, but you can tell us your progress along the way, struggles with diet and training, and get encouragement while also encouraging others. The member (mod) 405 did this, and he has had the most drastic results that I have ever seen! And he did it naturally.

No offense taken...coming from 40+ % I am quite proud to be in the 20s. I haven't been under 200lbs since I was in middle school lol...I'm shooting for 185-190 before bulking. I will definitely think about doing a log, and thanks for the kind words and advice.

I am proud of you as well! I love stories like this. So lets hope someonecan chime in soon on the thyroid issue and get you settled in.

ma_fighter is offline Associate Member
    Hello everyone,

First time poster here...Over the last 16 months I have lost a little over 250lbs going from 470 to just under 220. I am 33 6'1" and I would say 20-23%bf. I have been lifting a little over a year now and have seen decent strength gains despite my constant calorie deficit.

On to my question... I am interested in trying a test only cycle once I get a few more years of training under my belt, but I have hypothyroidism. I am curious to know if AAS use would screw up my thyroid levels? I currently take 300mcg of synthroid daily. Thanks for any insight you can provide
    Wicked, wicked job man! Really superbly well done!!

Regarding AAS with hypothyroidism, as far as I know you've got nothing to worry about as long as you stick to the basics, which you should in any case.

*Tren lowers T3 levels, but you're not gonna be messing around with Tren in a long long time, if ever.
    *Also, you're already supplementing your thyroids, and whatever little effect AAS would have on your natural production should be barely noticeable.
    *AAS in general has been shown to lower TBG (thyroxine binding globulin) which should actually make your meds more effective.

However, if I recall the studies I once read correctly, the difference in t3/t4 between AAS users, and non-AAS users were negligible in the end.

/Maf

Thanks a bunch for the info man! That makes me feel alot better. Tren is probably something I will never take though I do know a guy who swears by it. Heck I'm a little nervous about running anything at all because heart disease runs on my fathers side of the family with him passing away at 53 from a heart attack. I still have a lot of work to do before I cross that bridge though.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thanks a bunch for the info man! That makes me feel alot better. Tren is probably something I will never take though I do know a guy who swears by it. Heck I'm a little nervous about running anything at all because heart disease runs on my fathers side of the family with him passing away at 53 from a heart attack. I still have a lot of work to do before I cross that bridge though.
    Great job so far bro.

Btw, have you checked your fT4 and TSH levels recently while you're on 300mcg of thyroxine? Just curious. It sounds like a rather high dose.

I don't remember my fT4 but the last time my TSH was checked it was 0.31 which is getting very close to the bottom of normal. I'm due to have blood work done again in a month a if that value has gone down any they will decrease my dose I'm sure. I feel best when I am running close to the borderline of being hyper. I have been hypo sine I was around 11...hashimoto's thyroiditis is the clinical diagnosis. Inherited from my mother...
    Last edited by Crooktele79; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I take medication for hypothyroidism and the only AAS that ever effected my levels is the tren cycle that I am currently on now.

Does the Tren cause your TSH levels to decrease?

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Does the Tren cause your TSH levels to decrease?
    Yes they cut them in about 1/2 after 4 weeks on cycle
    In my case anyway I am sure everybody reacts differently
    Last edited by diesel101; 01-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information