YounGun4 is offline Junior Member

vertical leap.....help

does anyone know anything to suggest that would especially help a vertical leap? maybe somethin to spot inject? i dunno just a question...

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    strength shoes

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    I have seen,in a few gyms, a harness that you wear around your waist...that is attatched to elastic bands...that are anchored to the floor. And you do jump drills...and as you get stronger...you add more bands. But if you dont want to go through that much trouble...do good ole------> barbell squats...and heavy!

Just a few thoughts...

Dylan

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    back when i was in high school i was still 6'3, however i could only touch the rim.

now i can dunk a basketball with two hands no problem thanks to heavy jump squatting and tons of calf raises.

vertical leap is an explosive movement, so train the same way. i find that the best exercises for me were definitely calf raises and jump squats.

try them and see how it works out.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Try some Flubber.

raoul3 is offline Associate Member
    Last edited by raoul3; 09-25-2007 at 03:22 AM.

These guys should pretty much have all that you may need----->

http://jumpusa.com/

Regards,

Dylan

p.s. After looking into it...standard squats don't really help much in the way of fast twitch exersion...sorry for the previous inaccurate post...

These guys are crooks man... I wouldn't trust anybody who claims their feature athlete has a 55+ inches vertical... With no videos or pics to prove it... Just a sorry @ss animated gif... LMAO

Don't buy anything from them.

Question

which guys are crooks? there a re two sites listed above....

in middle school i got a pair of strength shoes..at the time i could only touch the rim...after using the shoes and doing jump exercises with them, i was able to dunk by the age of 13..which was after about 6months with the shoes....so i think they are worth it...but you also have to add other workouts with them...i found that wearing the shoes and doing stand jump exercises hella worked for me....but also holding 10 pound weights and doing the exercises helps alot more

Originally posted by raoul3
    Plyometrics (bounding, depth jumps, hurdle jumps, step-ups) and sprint training. Squat or "slow" strength exercises won't help much if you already have a decent strength base. Olympic lifting and variations are excellent as well.

Strength shoes ain't worth the money AT ALL. Why would you "isolate" the calves when they are only responsible for 15-20% of a vertical jump?? Might as well focus on the arms swing... Plus their routine is terrible. Just do the plyometrics without the shoes, it's much more effective.

On a side note, the best training you can possibly do for jumping and speed is http://www.vertofsantamonica.com/

Needforjuice is offline New Member
    to increase your vertical leap incorporate in your workouts powercleans off the ground. And heavy calf raises one day and speed work the next.

For powercleans one day speed to work on form and get fast and the next day heavy triples or so.

JumpUSA are crooks man...

Hellapimpin, yeah well first you must have been a very gifted athlete to be able to dunk at 13. But also when you're this young, any kind of training will make you improve. Cool it works for you though. How tall were you? That's outstanding.

speese is offline Junior Member
    consider olympic lifting. clean and jerk and snatch. it's the best thing in my opinion for explosive power.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    clean and jerk, snatch and bounding drills lots of bounding drills.

i was about 5'10 at that age and yea it was abnormal...at the time i knew i was tall,i was actually supposed to be around 6'5/6'6 from what the doctor said but those damn highschool party days i think stunted my growth, or it could have been that i didnt know how to lift at that age, but tried anyways and maxed myself out everyother day. wish i didnt do that. but then again, i was a pretty dominant pitcher in my little leage for baseball also,still tryin out for the minors next year for that. i was as tall and taller then some of the coaches. i will agree with you though, mostly any kind of training did help you at that age, cuz if you really wanted to do something, it seemed you did it religiously

Originally posted by raoul3
    JumpUSA are crooks man...

Hellapimpin, yeah well first you must have been a very gifted athlete to be able to dunk at 13. But also when you're this young, any kind of training will make you improve. Cool it works for you though. How tall were you? That's outstanding.

!
    Last edited by raoul3; 09-25-2007 at 03:22 AM.

Thread Information