Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can you overtrain on steroids ?????

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlinshopRep View Post
    God would I love to have a mom like yours!
    Why would you want your mom to look good that makes you kinda weird man.
    I wouldn't want a hot mom just saying.lol

AlinSR is offline new member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    Why would you want your mom to look good that makes you kinda weird man.
    I wouldn't want a hot mom just saying.lol
    If my mom looked like that I would hug her then kiss her on the lips everytime I saw her.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    She would cook hella good meals

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    If my mom looked like that I would hug her then kiss her on the lips everytime I saw her.
    Well if you don't do that anyway what the fuk does she look like now

Depends what you mean by over training but if your definition is something like can you train to a level were it has a negative impact on muscle growth then yes you can over time over train and burn your body out.

Overtraining is where the body's ability to recover and further adapt is severely diminished. Athletes and clients' suffering from overtraining generally have a significant drop in results and psychologically, lose the motivation to train and/or compete and win. They feel that they no longer have the ability to compete at the highest level.

There can be two divisions of overtraining - parasympathetic and sympathetic.
    Parasympathetic (sometimes referred to as addisonoid overtraining) is where the body attempts to slow down its functioning to conserve energy. And commonly occurs amongst aerobic athletes and high volume training associated in older adults.

Some symptoms associated with parasympathetic overtraining include:

Significantly lower than normal resting heart rate
    Low blood pressure
    Anaemia
    Emotional instability
    Depression
    Sympathetic overtraining (sometimes referred to as basedowian overtraining) is where the body speeds up its functioning and consumes more energy. This commonly occurs more amongst anaerobic athletes and high intensity training more so in younger athletes (Bompa, 1999).

Some symptoms associated with sympathetic overtraining include:

Increased RHR (resting heart rate)
    Rapid weight loss
    Loss of appetite
    Disrupted sleep
    Wilmore and Costills' (1994) research has shown and extended prevalence of adrenal hormones such as epinephrine and nor epinephrine in the sympathetic overtrained. This explains the elevated resting heart rate (RHR).

Now because you or your client may be experiencing one or more of these symptoms, this does not necessarily mean you are overtrained. I often hear this from people and when I begin to delve into their exercise and work history I realize that this is not the case, simply they are unhealthy or trying to 'burn the candle at both ends.' If you are experiencing one or more of these symptoms for an extended period of time and you are training and working (occupation) quite frequently (4 times per week minimum) intensely, then yes you may be overtrained. However, view the whole picture and look at your performance and progression factors to determine if this is the case.

On a more biochemical level, athletes or clients suffering from overtraining will exhibit elevated levels of cortisol, and a decrease in the levels of testosterone . This becomes detrimental to the athletes performance and adaptation qualities because cortisol is a catabolic hormone (breaks down) involved in breakdown of muscle, and testosterone is an anabolic component (forms, builds), involved in protein synthesis (repair and strengthening of muscle).

Common Causes of Overtraining

There are a number of major causes of overtraining. The main ones I wish to briefly discuss in this article are:

Nutritional Deficiency
    Inadequate Quality of Recovery
    'Too much, too soon' Intensity/Load
    Quality of recovery is also extremely important and occurs in synergy with quality nutrition. Factors that may affect quality of recovery include the following:

Interrupted sleep
    Insufficient sleep (consistently less than 6 hours)
    Over exertion in non-training activities
    Lack of motivation
    Without a correct periodised approach athletes can become prone to the 'Too much, too soon' scenario. This not only applies to the un-trained but also well- trained. A sudden significant increase in variables such as frequency and intensity can diminish an athlete�s adaptive reserve and therefore body's ability to adapt and recover - increasing the chance of exposing the athlete to overtraining.

Prevention & Recovery of Overtraining

Let's begin with the principal of 'Individuality'. The severity of the signs and symptoms vary between individuals. Unfortunately, if these signs and symptoms appear, the person is already suffering from overtraining (if correctly diagnosed). Hence, the recovery process must be allowed to take place. Some of the recovery methods employed in this situation include:

Decrease in training load
    Decrease in training intensity
    Decrease in frequency of training
    Increase in quality and quantity of nutrition
    Complete rest is not necessarily the best form of medicine -again it depends on the individual. However what must also be considered is the psychological component of a person being told that they can't train or must decrease their training load, especially if they are 'gun ho' and extremely focused and determined on achieving their goals.

Secondly, a periodised approach is essential, especially when dealing with athletes on any level. Periodising when to increase/decrease training load, intensity and frequency is extremely important not only for prevention of overtraining but also prevention of injury and allowing the athlete to peak at the correct levels. Within the periodised approach you should calculate performance indicators. This is to allow you to determine where the athlete should be and at what stage of their development or program (i.e. anatomical adaptation, general preparation, etc). If your client isn't close to the performance indicators/standards set by you, then you need to establish why.

Keeping training records is important in establishing how the athlete is progressing and monitoring the signs and symptoms of overtraining before they take a hold. Some documented evidence of the following should be record and attained by athlete and coach:

Date / Day
    Session duration
    Exercises completed
    Distance / speed etc
    How the athlete / person felt before & after session
    Training times
    Perceived Exertion
    Sets / Reps / Tempo etc
    Total load for the week/session/month
    Last but not least, encourage variety in training both physically and mentally. Training can be fun and challenging with a change in environment. If you normally train your client inside then maybe take them outside to the beach, or instead of the usual weights session, try a cardio session.

Other common suggestions for treatment of overtraining may involve cessation of training for a few days - complete rest, change in nutrition, increase in fluid intake or maybe an alternate work-out routine for variety. Maybe aim to get a therapeutic massage once a week.

Conclusion

It is important that athletes and respective coaches begin to understand their athletes more and understand the signs and possible symptoms of overtraining in their quest to compensate or assist in preventing it. No one should know their body more than the athlete themselves.

Remember there are four major categories of symptoms when it comes to overtraining. They are physiological, psychological, biochemical and immunological. Some of the common ones to be aware of include:

Elevated RHR (resting heart rate)
    Mild leg soreness, & continual upper body soreness
    Pain in muscles & joints
    Lethargic feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    Sudden drop in performance
    Unable to maintain training volume / intensity
    Insomnia
    Headaches, migraines
    Inability to relax, fidgety
    Insatiable thirst, dehydration
    Increase in incidence of common illnesses; colds, sore throat, etc.
    Something I read awhile back maybe it will help clarify.

Getting borderline insestual my friend lol
    havanakid likes this.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes you can still overtrain. You can get away with more when on gear but there's still a limit. What that limit is will be different for everyone.

This might not be the best example but look at it like this. Without gear you have $10 to spend and training cost you money. Now with gear you have $15 in your wallet, you have more money but you don't have an infinite amount. Gear does not make you invincible to overtraining but it definitely puts more gas in the tank.

bradhore is offline Member
    And remember you should train less during pct...

Can't remember the reason but can someone back me up..

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    Quote Originally Posted by bradhore
    And remember you should train less during pct...

Can't remember the reason but can someone back me up..
    Catabolism/ low test

ChiveOn is offline Senior Member
    I train 5x a week off cycle and 6-7 on. I know my body pretty well and if I'm feeling depleted or more sore than I should be, I take a day off. Of just run a 5K and call it a day. I find it hard to over train on AAS if you're eating right
    havanakid likes this.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Would you accept a study done on horses?
    I suppose posting a study as such would be quite suitable for this forum since there are so many members who seem to be on EQ and Tren at all times.

Let's see if vladan from EU will also like this response.
    austinite likes this.

Mike on overtraining

Overtraining, dear reader, is not something merely "kinda" or "sorta" negative - it is much worse than that. Overtraining is the worst training mistake a bodybuilder can make; it is precisely that which militates against the desired result. Overtraining, by definition, means performing any more exercise than is minimally required to trigger the growth mechanism into motion. Most bodybuilders today still operate on the notion that their purpose is to discover how many sets they can do, how much they can take or how long they can endure. And such is erroneous because bodybuilding is not aerobic. A bodybuilding workout is not an endurance contest! The actual, literal purpose of a bodybuilder is not to discover how many sets he can endure, but to intelligently do what nature requires merely to trigger the growth mechanism into motion, then get the hell out of the gym, go home, rest and GROW!

Mike Mentzer
    havanakid and Turkish Juicer like this.

Thats why less is more.

How can the pro's train for upto 3 hours?? Surely THATS overtraining

havanakid is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradhore View Post
    Thats why less is more.

Im sure its cause they take enough rest in between lifts cause they push a hell of a lot of weight along with the fact that theyre probably on 750 to a gram of test a week and who knows what else.The gear sure makes it easier to push further along with the monster diets that theyre on.Theyre not human lol

Thats why less is more.

I think your reading the wrong books or listening to the pro what don't take aas

If i rest any longer than 4 or 5 mins in between sets, i feel weaker and feel like i have less strength

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thats why less is more.

I can't think of any pro off the top of my head who trains like that anymore or one who has in several years. Not saying they're not out there, I'm sure I'm just forgetting about someone but most are an hour or less per session. Heck I can think of 2 off the top of my head who train on a 9 day split, meaning it takes them 9 days to get through each body part once and they still only train for about an hour per session.

If i rest any longer than 4 or 5 mins in between sets, i feel weaker and feel like i have less strength
    You don't rest 4-5 mins in between sets, I really think you don't understand HIT at all.

Doom44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300

You don't rest 4-5 mins in between sets, I really think you don't understand HIT at all.
    Maybe he doing strength or low intensity training. Lol

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havanakid View Post
    Im sure its cause they take enough rest in between lifts cause they push a hell of a lot of weight along with the fact that theyre probably on 750 to a gram of test a week and who knows what else.The gear sure makes it easier to push further along with the monster diets that theyre on.Theyre not human lol
    "750 to a gram of test a week"...bahahaha

panntastic is offline "cool as shit and knows his stuff"
    Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel

"750 to a gram of test a week"...bahahaha
    Per pin maybe lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information