sagittarius is offline Junior Member

Opinion on blood results

Hi!

I just received my bloodwork results and the total testosterone seems to be low. Here are my stats:

- Height: 5" 10 (178 cm)
    - Weight: 174 lbs (79kg).
    - Body Fat: around 11-12%
    - Weight training experience: 3 years

The total testosterone is 325 ng/dl (the normal range is considered 241-827, but they don't say the age). Do you think this value is low for a 31 years old male? Should I think about TRT?
    I'm an active person (weight training 5-6 times per week, running/walking/biking around 10-15 hours a week), I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke or do dr.gs. Usually I don't have sleep problems and the s.x drive seems to be normal. I also have a clean diet, with enough proteins.

I also have the creatinine and AST high:
    - Creatinine 1.40 mg/dL (normal: 0.60-1.35 mg/dl) - I understand that this is usually high for bodybuilders
    - AST (aspartate aminotransferase) 55 U/L (normal 10-40 UL) - this may reflect some liver problems

Do I have to be worried about these values?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sagittarius; 07-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Bio-Active is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    What time of day In Relation to the time you got up did you run your labs? It is on the low side but I would want to run another set of labs to be sure.

I woke up around 8:00 in the morning and I had the blood tests around 11:30am (3.5 hours). I was fasting for 12 hours before the tests.

Bio-Active is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sagittarius
    I woke up around 8:00 in the morning and I had the blood tests around 11:30am (3.5 hours). I was fasting for 12 hours before the tests.
    Sleep and overtraining can drag the total score down as well. If you have been on a calorie deficit it can lower the score too

Quote Originally Posted by jim230027 View Post
    Sleep and overtraining can drag the total score down as well. If you have been on a calorie deficit it can lower the score too
    I don't think it is about overtraining or calorie deficit (I eat 3000+ calories/day). It was Friday and maybe I was a little tired but I'm pretty sure I slept more than 7 hours the night before.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    I wouldn't worry about the liver value if you're training hard. Do you take creatine?

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheSauce View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the liver value if you're training hard. Do you take creatine?
    Yes, I take creatine monohidrate.

That's reason for high creatinine

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheSauce View Post
    That's reason for high creatinine
    I will drop the creatine for a while. Thanks for the reply.
    I guess that's why I did not see good results after working out very hard in the last year. I improved my diet, my training, I increased the weights but without good results (maybe I have a better definition but I have the same weight as a year ago).

JSumma is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sagittarius View Post
    I will drop the creatine for a while. Thanks for the reply.
    I guess that's why I did not see good results after working out very hard in the last year. I improved my diet, my training, I increased the weights but without good results (maybe I have a better definition but I have the same weight as a year ago).
    Had bloods run back in April at 10am and I supplement with creatine 5g a day. mine came back flagged for being low at .8

Creatinine is used as a measure for kidney efficiency. who knows it maybe nothing but try to get a feel if your lab results is normal for "males who supplement with creatine." my values maybe atypical

Creatine converts to creatinine. Drink more water

I was trying to say that I did not see good results in the last year because of the low testosterone . I'm not too worried about the creatinine and AST.

I did some research and for a 30-34 years old male the average (mean) total testosterone level is 621 ng/dl, based on a study published in 1996 (I cannot post the link to the study).

I forgot to mention in the first post that I never used AAS before.
    My testosterone level, 325 ng/dl, is low according to this study. I went to my doctor today and unfortunately it was not really helpful. I guess I have to see an endocrinologist. I hope someone here can help me to find answers to the following questions:

1. Considering that I took the blood test around 11:30 in the morning, is it possible that my normal testosterone levels are not that low? I understand that the best time for a hormone test is early in the morning.

2. Do I have to think about TRT? I guess it is too early to say that. I need a full hormone test first.

3. Can I still think about starting my first cycle? Is the risk of being shut down forever higher if you have low testosterone ? Is it possible that the side effects will be more pronounced if you have low testosterone before starting the cycle? (I was planning a cycle based on testosterone only)

4. What's usually the first step (or steps) when you have low testosterone?

I appreciate any answer or advice. Thanks!

redhawk01 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sagittarius
    I did some research and for a 30-34 years old male the average (mean) total testosterone level is 621 ng/dl, based on a study published in 1996 (I cannot post the link to the study).

I forgot to mention in the first post that I never used AAS before.
    My testosterone level, 325 ng/dl, is low according to this study. I went to my doctor today and unfortunately it was not really helpful. I guess I have to see an endocrinologist. I hope someone here can help me to find answers to the following questions:

1. Considering that I took the blood test around 11:30 in the morning, is it possible that my normal testosterone levels are not that low? I understand that the best time for a hormone test is early in the morning.

2. Do I have to think about TRT? I guess it is too early to say that. I need a full hormone test first.

3. Can I still think about starting my first cycle? Is the risk of being shut down forever higher if you have low testosterone ? Is it possible that the side effects will be more pronounced if you have low testosterone before starting the cycle? (I was planning a cycle based on testosterone only)

I appreciate any answer or advice. Thanks!

Usually they like to have blood drawn early. I did mine as soon as they opened at 7am. At 11:30 I don't know how much of a difference it'd make. If your at 325, that is low, but considered normal range. Primary doc may just say normal and send you on your way. That was my case anyways. See endo and see what he says.

Are you on statins by chance? That will drop your test as well. I've been there. I Quit taking them, and I'm now up to 550. I'm 47. I did get to go on TRT once my t level dropped to 250, while on simvostatin. But since quitting statins, I'm off TRT now. I will say I felt awesome while on TRT, with t levels of 700+.
    Good luck

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    On the source.

My creatinine levels came back as higher than they should, so awaiting them to be re checked.
    I told my doctor I had supplementing with creatine for 3 months and could that be the cause, he said that they were completely different things and it would have nothing to do with high creatinine levels, should I change my doctor..?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk01 View Post
    Usually they like to have blood drawn early. I did mine as soon as they opened at 7am. At 11:30 I don't know how much of a difference it'd make. If your at 325, that is low, but considered normal range. Primary doc may just say normal and send you on your way. That was my case anyways. See endo and see what he says.

Are you on statins by chance? That will drop your test as well. I've been there. I Quit taking them, and I'm now up to 550. I'm 47. I did get to go on TRT once my t level dropped to 250, while on simvostatin. But since quitting statins, I'm off TRT now. I will say I felt awesome while on TRT, with t levels of 700+.
    Good luck
    I'm not on statins. My cholesterol is very good. I don't see any reason why my testosterone levels are low.
    This is an extract from "Anabolics", 9th edition:

"Blood testosterone levels below 350ng/dL are usually regarded as clinically significant, although some physicians will use a level as low as 200ng/dL as the threshold for normal. Hypogonadism is, unfortunately, still widely under-diagnosed. Most physicians will also not recommend treatment for low testosterone unless a patient is complaining about symptoms (symptomatic androgen deficiency)."

Quote Originally Posted by dickster View Post
    On the source.

My creatinine levels came back as higher than they should, so awaiting them to be re checked.
    I told my doctor I had supplementing with creatine for 3 months and could that be the cause, he said that they were completely different things and it would have nothing to do with high creatinine levels, should I change my doctor..?
    My doctor told me to drop the creatine because that may be the reason for high creatinine. So I'm not sure what's the truth.

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Doctors, wish they all sang off the same hymn sheet, I believe Sagitarius yours is probably more switched on than mine.

I have some unanswered questions in this thread and I hope someone can help me. I will post the questions again.
    My testosterone level is 325 ng/dl. According to some studies for a 30-34 years old male the average (mean) total testosterone level is 621 ng/dl.

Thanks!

redhawk01 is offline Member
    Post this up in the TRT section. You might get your ?'s answered better there.

Anyone? I will try to post in the TRT section.

Thread Information