Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By base4291ball

Thread: what is a reasonable age to start a kid on basic weight training?

sfgiantsfan55 is offline Associate Member

what is a reasonable age to start a kid on basic weight training?

sorry if this isnt in the best forum..wasnt sure. Definitely not about roids, just more a question for experienced lifters.

just talking about the basic movements ..nothing crazy for sure... i think i started monkeying with weights around 12, or so..

thoughts or links of use?

thanks!

king6 II is offline Senior Member
    I seriously started my senior year in high school, there is nothing wrong with starting at an early age, some type of physical fitness regiment. Some minor weight lifting, sports would probably be more enjoyable though such as football or wrestling. Moderation is the key though, and not to go overboard with it.

DAAS is offline Senior Member
    the girl in your avatar looks familiar.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    was 13 when I got my first free weight set, but was using other band resistant equipment prior, and did intense physical training in gymnastics starting at i believe 6. I would suggest sports or push ups or activities that allow them to really move when they are younger, but the age you start them on weights will depend on them. I imagine my kids will want to do what I do and start younger than I did, but I won't really encourage it till teens when the knowledge of training and nutrition would allow them to grow and excel in other sports if they wanted to. But if they seriously want to get into it when they are younger I will teach them all I can with emphasis on safety and doing things right.

ken9 is offline New Member
    I started at 16 it was funny back in time lifting only to show ppl how much i can lift only caring for bench and biceps was eating alot of junk food but we all learn anyways this forum isnt only steriods there is nutrition none drug also be sure to check it out.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DAAS View Post
    the girl in your avatar looks familiar.
    hmm...wish she looked more familiar to me !

DAAS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan55 View Post
    hmm...wish she looked more familiar to me !
    positive I know her.

You really can't start too early. If it's a boy I'd start him right when puberty starts, 8-12..?

~Base

Quote Originally Posted by DAAS View Post
    positive I know her.
    hmm random chick off the net.... but hey who knows.. besides they all look alike (just kidding...!!) I loves me some asian babes.

Quote Originally Posted by base4291ball View Post
    You really can't start too early. If it's a boy I'd start him right when puberty starts, 8-12..?

~Base
    yeah i started goofing around with weights ...well more like got my first concrete weight set from sears around 11 ish.. dad had some dumbbells etc...

gym i go to lets kids go at 12....

ickythump is offline Member
    12 is a good age for kids to do stuff alone, but the old myth that it stunts growth was disproven....I didn't personally do the research and don't have a link but there are hosts of benefits to resistance training (in moderation, you don't go crazy tracking progress and upping weights, it's an intro)....and not to mention father son bonding

Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    12 is a good age for kids to do stuff alone, but the old myth that it stunts growth was disproven....I didn't personally do the research and don't have a link but there are hosts of benefits to resistance training (in moderation, you don't go crazy tracking progress and upping weights, it's an intro)....and not to mention father son bonding
    nothing better than father/son bonding

ickythump is offline Member
    Yea, my 3 year old likes to "workout" with me, when I'm really pressed for time on a weekend b.s. day he sits on my back while I do pushups and planks, he sets in on the pullup bar, he can actually hang unassisted for a short time lol when he was a baby I would wear him in a carrier and exercise, I was coming off an injury, and also a serious weight gain during my gf's pregnancy lol so it wasn't intense

Quote Originally Posted by ickythump
    Yea, my 3 year old likes to "workout" with me, when I'm really pressed for time on a weekend b.s. day he sits on my back while I do pushups and planks, he sets in on the pullup bar, he can actually hang unassisted for a short time lol when he was a baby I would wear him in a carrier and exercise, I was coming off an injury, and also a serious weight gain during my gf's pregnancy lol so it wasn't intense
    Yeah to answer the OP question just like thump and I are saying there really isn't a set age. To be by themselves where they're responsible prob 12-14.
    But yeah, start them in the gym young! Or at least accustomed to 'working out' or around people working out. Because then maybe when they grow up the would want to stay fit, in shape and lot let themselves go like so many of us have once or so in our lives. It's a good thing to spend that father son time in the gym or playing sports.

~Base
    ickythump likes this.

m314 is offline Junior Member
    My dad got me started with free weights on my 14th birthday. I've been lifting ever since, almost 25 years now. I don't see anything wrong with kids starting earlier if they're careful and they're taught good form.

Thread Information