beverqr is offline New Member

Finasteride and sexual development?

Hi! I'm not sure is this the right place for this question, but you guys seem to know a lot about hormones and stuff.
    Basically, I'm a 19 year old guy who is losing his hair due to good old balding. I want to start taking finasteride to halt the hair loss as it is well know that in my situation it can pretty much stop it. But what boggles my mind is it safe to take it at such an age?
    Finasteride stops some T->DHT conversion so one has less DHT circulating around.
    As far as I know, DHT is the thing that's responsible for development of secondary sexual characteristics.
    I am very well informed about the general side effects regarding of age.
    Last edited by beverqr; 05-16-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is what I found. It appears to be well studied.....

Sexual side effects

There are case reports of persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, even after stopping the drug.[19] In December 2008, the Swedish Medical Products agency concluded a safety investigation of finasteride and advised that finasteride may cause irreversible sexual dysfunction. The Agency's updated safety information lists difficulty in obtaining an erection that persists indefinitely, even after the discontinuation of finasteride, as a possible side effect of the drug.[20] The UK's Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) cites reports of erectile dysfunction that persists once use of finasteride has stopped.[citation needed][21] In April 2011 Merck revised the United States' warning in consumer and medical leaflets to include erectile dysfunction that may persist after stopping finasteride.[22] In April 2012, the warning label was further strengthened to include reports of persistent libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, orgasm disorders, and decreased libido. According to FDA, these warnings were added as precaution after reviewing 678 case reports of post-treatment sexual dysfunction received over an 18 year period. The Agency further stated that "despite the fact that clear causal links between finasteride (Propecia and Proscar) and sexual adverse events have NOT been established, the cases suggest a broader range of adverse effects than previously reported in patients taking these drugs.".[23][24][25]

Finasteride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

testluva is offline Associate Member
    Because of the DHT conversion when I stopped taking Finasteride I notice I improved on my body comp and muscle gains. Remember for body building we need some DHT in our system. Finasteride will lower your DHT and slow down your gains even while on AAS.

well, if you recall from your studies, DHEA converts to testosterone which will convert to DHT..................................

I don't really go to gym. I swim though.
    Again, development-issues bother me, not erections.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    I take finasteride 1mg ed for androgenous alopecia, havent noticed much sides from it at 1mg ed (recomended dosage), Im 38 though.

But at 19 years old your body is still finishing growing, and specially your HPTA is still very susceptible to exogenous hormones (or enzymes), so I would wait till your 25 to start on finasteride.

(I am no doctor just my personal opinion stated here)
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 05-17-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beverqr View Post
    I don't really go to gym. I swim though.
    Again, development-issues bother me, not erections.
    then no need for hair, is there?

Hair reduces your drag coefficient in the water and slows you down?

where's your commitment to your sport? =)

(lose the hair!)

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    then no need for hair, is there?

Hair reduces your drag coefficient in the water and slows you down?

where's your commitment to your sport? =)

(lose the hair!)
    I wear a swim cap while in water so that's out of question.

Mr.BB, I see. The funniest thing is that I'll be pretty darn bald by 25.

Doctors are putting people on finasteride starting at 18. In trials there were a lot of pre-25 people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beverqr View Post
    Mr.BB, I see. The funniest thing is that I'll be pretty darn bald by 25.

Doctors are putting people on finasteride starting at 18. In trials there were a lot of pre-25 people as well.
    I know... And they complain about steroids ...

AstonMartin00 is offline New Member
    With so many other chemicals out there to enhance your physique, Fina, is probably the worst thing you could pick to exp with.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AstonMartin00 View Post
    With so many other chemicals out there to enhance your physique, Fina, is probably the worst thing you could pick to exp with.
    Are you talking about finasteride or finaplix

testluva is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    I take finasteride 1mg ed for androgenous alopecia, havent noticed much sides from it at 1mg ed (recomended dosage), Im 38 though. But at 19 years old your body is still finishing growing, and specially your HPTA axis is still very susceptible to exogenous hormones (or enzymes), so I would wait till your 25 to start on finasteride. (I am no doctor just my personal opinion stated here)
    I was also on 1mg ED for prostate health and hair loss. My Urologist told me Finasteride will lower your testosterone and DHT. These are the two building blocks for muscle gains. I stopped taking it now and have made the best gains in the last 12 weeks. Only problem now is hair is tinning out a bit but I love my lean muscle gains.

Quote Originally Posted by testluva View Post
    I was also on 1mg ED for prostate health and hair loss. My Urologist told me Finasteride will lower your testosterone and DHT. These are the two building blocks for muscle gains. I stopped taking it now and have made the best gains in the last 12 weeks. Only problem now is hair is tinning out a bit but I love my lean muscle gains.
    Does your urologist knows you are on AAS? Cause what fina does is to block test to transform into DHT, so if you are on test, most likely free test will be higher while on fina. And DHT can help in muscle gains but not directly, here is a nice read

Dont count me as a finasteride fanboy LOL... Drugs are just tools, sometimes they work like we want'em to, sometimes they dont

DUDES! I'm not a bodybuilder!

Back to the original question? Can anyone shed some light? I'm 19 and want to start fin.You seem to know about hormones and stuff

Roger11 is offline Member
    DO NOT TAKE PROPECIA, im glad i never took it and told mates to stay away from it, there are way to many side effects for it to be worthwhile, mate, man up and shave your head, bald is beautiful.

Thread Information