Mad-scientist is offline New Member

Any tips on avoiding steroid acne?

Ok so I got pretty bad acne from my last cycle I never had any problems with acne before. So they gave me the choice to take Accutane or a antibiotic and after reading all the horror stories I decided no to use either one and let it go away on its own. Well its been about 6 months and its gotten about 75% better but I still have acne pretty bad and some bad scars.

My question is are their any of you who have went through similar experiences and learned how to cycle steroids and control acne while on them. Im wondering do I need to do super low doses or take a antibiotic while on steroids or something. Im just asking on different forums hoping to hear something new.

JDP84 is offline New Member
    some are propne to get it, some not... im fortunate tho. theres gonna be many small things you can do. a good facewash is vital. find the compounds that work better for you if possible. use stronger doses to avoid more oil in the body, even tho its the substances too... if it get really bad theres medicine like you mentioned... if its on your body try ivory, the fragerence/chemical free stuff. dont wash your face too much tho! its the nature of the beast for some... other than that, i dont know what else you can do.

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    I get acne on my back and chest I tried everything and only thing I used that works is accutane.
    Before with accutane very liver toxic. I only used with out any other oral and plenty of liver support.

Read this good write up

http://forums.steroid.com/steroid-co...acne-free.html

I had bad acne on my first cycle but now I hardly get any acne. For me, once my got used to the cycle the acne stayed away. I also took more care to keep my skin clean. Read Austinite's post it'll shed a lot of light on acne.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Accutane is great at low doses (10-20 mg daily).
    All those horror stories are from docs prescribing it at 80+ mg.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    People recomending facial wash for acne never really got it, it actually gets acne worse to wash face too often.

Accutane, exfolation and tanning, those are the only things that work for me.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, my acne isn't perfect, mostly on my back, but i found the less I wash it the better it is. More sun I get the better as well. I even was putting oil on my back for a while. I take every opportunity i can when I can get sun to take my shirt off. Even on my highest dose of test my acne was better than on just trt, but I was also getting some sun at the time.

I mean I took people's advice for a long time with exfoliant scrubbers and cleaning it rigorously and often, and did it long enough to where it should have gotten even better after it got worse, but it was just awful in comparison.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I was on Accutane when I was younger and it was aweful. I'm not sure at low dosages how it would be though. Luckily for me it's done it's job and I rarely get acne. I do get some zits on cycle though but nothing out of control. I would never touch Accutane again though. That stuff was really harsh.

king6 II is offline Senior Member
    Tanning bed worked great for me.

f1nallyfr33 is offline Junior Member
    I've tried everything short of vitamins, which I read in a sticky and need to reread , and prescription meds, which I really don't wanna touch. The only thing that worked for me was sun. Found that out by accident. I went golfing for 3.5 hours and over night my face was clear for a week. The only thing I could think was I wish you could golf without a shirt. I've been meaning to ask if tanning beds would help. But someone else on this thread just answered that.

king6 II is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nallyfr33 View Post
    I've tried everything short of vitamins, which I read in a sticky and need to reread , and prescription meds, which I really don't wanna touch. The only thing that worked for me was sun. Found that out by accident. I went golfing for 3.5 hours and over night my face was clear for a week. The only thing I could think was I wish you could golf without a shirt. I've been meaning to ask if tanning beds would help. But someone else on this thread just answered that.
    As I advised with tanning beds. Kept my back clear. I was never prove to acre however when on test, tanning beds kept my back clear. Hopes this helps.

tango02 is offline Associate Member
    x2 on the tanning bed

Mad-scientist is offline New Member
    I appreciate all the help. I will try going out in the sun and tanning for a while a few times a week and see if it works. I have one worry though. I have heard that tanning will also make the scars darker. And I am really white so the scars already stick out. I guess I will try to use the sun in moderation. And also think about the antibiotics if it doesn't help. One really ironic thing is im slightly allergic to UV rays from the sun so I will get like a heat rash if im out in the sun for a hour.

thephoenix25 is offline Associate Member
    For small areas I use Panoxyl (contains benzoyl peroxide), its cheap and OTC, though it does have some side effects, localized drying, cracking and redness to the skin if used too frequently.

When I don't have acne I use it to treat areas that are prone to acne, once every few day, just to keep my skin clear. (kind of preventative measure)

I was prescribed Accutane by my dermatologist for 6 months (pre steroids ) which was very effective, but VERY harsh, try this stuff before you try Accutane.

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    you have to keep your skin dry to avoid acne. your diet can help that and tanning(very effective )

I disagree with keeping your skin dry. better off doing the opposite.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you are either genetically prone to it or not. Stay clean. Some people say tanning helps as well.

thephoenix25 is offline Associate Member
    Wet skin or dry skin is of no consequence, clean skin is the answer.

Acne is caused (in most cases) by over production of sebum from the sebaceous glands (oily skin). When too much sebum is produced, hair follicles become clogged up with sebum and dead skin cells. This traps bacteria which grow and cause acne. Typically this is seen during puberty and menstrual cycles because of hormonal changes, hence why we see it when cycling with steroids .

More frequent washing will help to prevent further spots forming, but will do nothing to help those that are formed. Forceful scrubbing, especially if it breaks the skin is counter productive as it only serves to damage the outer layer of skin and does nothing to treat the underlying cause. Squeezing spots is also counter productive as it just opens up another access point for bacteria and ultimately further infection.

I had 10 years of terrible acne starting at about twenty, as bad as some of shit storm pictures you see if you google "acne". I tried every treatment I could find, every pill, potion, lotion, diet or lifestyle change I could to fix it, but nothing worked. I finally used roaccutane isotretinoin, 6 months, high dose. Was an absolute nightmare whilst on it, but it did fix the problem.

I wouldn't recommend roaccutane to anyone with mild acne, but I would recommend you understand what causes acne and how to reduce the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by thephoenix25 View Post
    Wet skin or dry skin is of no consequence, clean skin is the answer.

Acne is caused (in most cases) by over production of sebum from the sebaceous glands (oily skin). When too much sebum is produced, hair follicles become clogged up with sebum and dead skin cells. This traps bacteria which grow and cause acne. Typically this is seen during puberty and menstrual cycles because of hormonal changes, hence why we see it when cycling with steroids .

More frequent washing will help to prevent further spots forming, but will do nothing to help those that are formed. Forceful scrubbing, especially if it breaks the skin is counter productive as it only serves to damage the outer layer of skin and does nothing to treat the underlying cause. Squeezing spots is also counter productive as it just opens up another access point for bacteria and ultimately further infection.

I had 10 years of terrible acne starting at about twenty, as bad as some of shit storm pictures you see if you google "acne". I tried every treatment I could find, every pill, potion, lotion, diet or lifestyle change I could to fix it, but nothing worked. I finally used roaccutane isotretinoin, 6 months, high dose. Was an absolute nightmare whilst on it, but it did fix the problem.

I wouldn't recommend roaccutane to anyone with mild acne, but I would recommend you understand what causes acne and how to reduce the effect.
    This is why I suggest not doing things to dry your skin out, which can cause you to produce even more oil. I had good results applying oil to my skin.

Projectswole44 is offline Junior Member
    You need to get your E2 under control. Get yourself some liquidex from ar-r . Get some bloodwork done if you need to and make sure your hormones are in balance. one thing that has worked for me is a witch hazel and tea tree oil solution. But if you get your E2 down and find a good product and routine it will go away

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    This is why I suggest not doing things to dry your skin out, which can cause you to produce even more oil. I had good results applying oil to my skin.
    i don't know if it's the oil or the sun doing the work for me but when i tan, i apply oil to my skin and lie under the sun. that works for me.

UrbanMammoth is offline New Member
    I believe this is genetic. If you're prone to acne, the steroids will bring it out more

Thread Information