ask
    ask is offline New Member

Steroids to finally cure injury?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and don't know a lot about the topic of steroids by now, hence my incredibly creative username. English is not my mother tongue, but I hope i'll be able to communicate my questions properly. I'll try to provide all the information needed for a solid answering of my questions and apologize in advance for the length of this text.
    The reason I've become interested in the topic of steroids is an injury. I ask myself, whether they could help me finally recover from what could not be improved by any measure taken so far. I've read a lot on the internet and this forum, but I'm still not sure what to conclude from it for my case.

Very brief history of my training:
    I've been training in different combat sports very intensely since I was ca. 15y, I'm 29 now. I've thrown back by injuries multiple times and therefore I have never been able to reach the things I came pretty close to more than once. After very serious injury back in the days the doc even told me that I would never be able to execute my sport again. Thankfully I could prove him wrong, although it took me years to recover.
    This time I do not seem to have an injury that bad, but it also does not improve at all(!). (And the time I have left to recover from that in order to get back into training and finally competition is, being 29y, not too much as I see.)

Now for the essential:

I have a severe pain in my right knee when I put weight on it. And an even greater pain, when I 'put it to the groud', meaning: when I e.g. do single leg squats with my LEFT knee, i basically cannot do them because of the extreme pain in my RIGHT knee. Seems like it has sth to do with the stretch of the tendons under load (I think).

Maybe the following (up until „Current status“)is not even really necessary to mention, but I'll just do so:

I tore (I guess that's the correct term in Englsih, not 'pulled' (which seems to be the 'lighter' version), if not pls correct me) a (quad) muscle back in NOV 2013 doing leg presses. You could see the hematoma along the mid-section of the quad and, of course, feel the pain.

I then started rehabbing it immediately, following Bill Starr's routine, as Mark Rippetoe advocates it, too. It had worked for my pec before. Using light weights/high reps, progressing from there, increasing the weights, lowering the reps.
    It seemed to work for the quad. But then my knees started to hurt, although my squat-form was def ok. I stopped it, but the pain remained in my right knee. And it does so till today.

First guess of mine as well as my orthopedic doc was sth like patella/quadriceps tendon syndrome. Stretching of the quad, and foam rolling the living sh*t out of it did not work at all.
    An MRI was taken: It (luckily) showed that the knee, that had been distorted before (partial ACL-tear, partial inner lig.-tear, partial menisc-tear 2009) was indeed ok. The lig's had even recovered!
    But there was a little bit of water inside. Some swelling. And a tendinopathy of the quadriceps tendon (whether tendonosis or tendonitis was not clearly indicated). (And some minor other stuff that was not considered relevant.)
    The quad seemed to be somehow 'off' it felt soft, chewy, not toned....
    The cutaneous nerv is impinged, so the outer side is a bit numb, but I had that before on both legs, not sure whether that has sth to do with it at all.
    Another orthopedic surgeon told me that he would like to do an arthroscopy of my knee, because it wold just have to be 'cleaned'. I've not done thta, because the argument was to vague in my eyes. Maybe I will have to do (or rather try) that. Not feeling too good about that.

I travelled quite some distances to visit a PT, who also couldn't help with stretching and triggering techniques. Visited other doctors, a chiropractor, osteopathy-practicioner etc pp

Last time I was at the doc, he did not even find an inflammation at the quad-tendon using ultrasound. Now getting an MRI of the quad at the end of july.

Another PT said I had to reteach the muscle how to act, because it had unlearned that due to the too soon return to training.

Current status: I still stretch and massge with a lacrosse ball. I also stretch using one of these voodoo-bands glenn pendlay or kelly starrett have mentioned (you probably know them). This actually relieves the pain for a few minutes afterwards, but after that: the same as always. When i stretch I feel some really mean needle-stitch-like sensations in the quad. At first this made me stop immedietaly, then I kept on holding it and it vanishes now, but the pain itself remains. I have returned to moderate single leg leg presses, which does not worsen it at all. It has improved the feeling and appearance of my quad muscle, but it is still a bit 'weird'. The pain during the exercise is minimal (in THAT position with THAT load) Apart from that the pain is still exactly the same!!

So all this is basically just to explain at least roughly where the problem is and that actually no one knows what it really is!

>>

So my very basic question is: Is there a chance that steroids could help me with this? And if so, what steroid (s) would help me?

My thoughts on this so far are:

In general:

People taking testosterone (prop, enanth, cypion) tell me about their improved abilities to recover from any stress, training, injury,... so far sounds like a - very general - argument for it.

As far as I know testosterone injections are also known to impede the collagen synthesis of tendons... sound like an argument against it. (although people using it tell me that it does not keep up with muscle growth, but that it is not impeded. Quite frankly I do not think they are a reliable source. The internet has told me contradicitng things on this so far.)

I can't see any kind of mechanical reason for my problem. So the pain might just be due to an inflammation not going away. It is 7 months now and I am literally in despair.

I'll keep the formulation of my thoughts on it this general, since most of what I think about it is based on very limited knowledge in this field. That's why I'm aksing you

So: Is this worth a try? If not: why? If yes: What do i need? How do I do it best?
    (If it is no clear 'yes' or 'no', I'm really interested in the arguments for and against it!)

My stats if needed:

male
    29y
    175cm
    93kg
    BF: since restricted training now maybe 15% (guessed from your chart)
    several smaller injuries, one massive shoulder injury

Thank you so much for your time!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    knee - suggest MSM. 5 grams a day forever. improves collegen synthesis and is a mild anti inflammatory. takes at least 30 days for it to kick in.

that's a lot of reading, and unfortunately, I got lost about a third of the way in.

Was there other injuries you wanted help with?

m314 is offline Junior Member
    Peptides might be more helpful. HGH or GH releasing peptides like GHRP-2 and Mod GRF. TB-500 is also worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by m314 View Post
    Peptides might be more helpful. HGH or GH releasing peptides like GHRP-2 and Mod GRF. TB-500 is also worth looking into.
    my philosophy is to ALWAYS go with the safest/most economical option first.

For example, MSM runs about $34 for 5lbs. this is about a 15month supply. I took this for over 15 years and it worked great at significantly reducing knee pain.

then if the MSN does not work, you are only out the $34 and then you can try something else a little more expensive.

I'm willing to bet at least 50 members have successfully tried MSM since I've been mentioning it.....?

Bigk2014 is offline New Member
    Iv read a lot about this tb-500 and It really does sound amazing I really have thought about trying it for my injurys but there is a lot of talk of cancer developing so it sounds a bit risky IMO but what do I know.

I'm a proponent of TB500. check the link in my signature.

But before you go down that path, try the MSM. MSM is taken orally, where TB is an injection.

If you know where to look, you can get a single "injury cycle' of TB for about $100, where as MSM is significantly less expensive. Plus the MSM provides a whole host of other benefits.

Bigk2014 is offline New Member
    What dos msm do? Will it help for degenartive disc desise and supraspinatus tendonitis?

it improves collegen synthesis

collegen is the stuff discs, cartiledge and fingernails is made from

it is also a mild anti inflammatory

in the beauty industry, it is used for a variety of things....
    ...women soak their nails in it to strengthen up their toe/finger nails

is a sulphuric based compound. very little if any sides for most if not all people.

ask
    ask is offline New Member
    Was there other injuries you wanted help with?
    No.

I've heard about TB-500. The other stuff is practically unknown to me, what is and does "GHRP-2 and Mod GRF" and how is it applied?

knee - suggest MSM.
    MSM means Methylsulfonylmethane (link was not allowed) I assume. As far as I know this is mainly taken when sth like cartillage damage is present, Osteoarthritis or sth similar. The cartilage in my knee is luckily intact, so I#m not sure whether this would actualley help with sth that apperas to be an inflammation issue not going away (maybe the tendons are inflammed, although last time the doc said 'no', that's where it might hel I guess). I have taken lots of other stuff like for example hyaluron-acid, fish oils, glucosamin, chodroitin, etc.. nothing works even slightly
    I will try it anway. BUT: I would still like to ask you for advice concerning the use of steroids for this kind of injury! I just want to know for now, I'm still trying some things, but it is not much left in terms of measurements that could be tried. So I would be very happy, if you could tell me in how far that might be an option!!!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    No.

I've heard about TB-500. The other stuff is practically unknown to me, what is and does "GHRP-2 and Mod GRF" and how is it applied?

MSM means Methylsulfonylmethane - yes (link was not allowed) I assume. As far as I know this is mainly taken when sth like cartillage damage is present, Osteoarthritis or sth similar. The cartilage in my knee is luckily intact, so I#m not sure whether this would actualley help with sth that apperas to be an inflammation issue not going away - wouldn't hurt to try. if it works, you save $$, does this interest you? (maybe the tendons are inflammed, although last time the doc said 'no', that's where it might hel I guess). I have taken lots of other stuff like for example hyaluron-acid, - I've had this injected into my knees annually for several years, and yes, it does work! fish oils, glucosamin, chodroitin, - these three provided no relief for my knee paid. etc.. nothing works even slightly
    I will try it anway. BUT: I would still like to ask you for advice concerning the use of steroids for this kind of injury! I just want to know for now, I'm still trying some things, but it is not much left in terms of measurements that could be tried. So I would be very happy, if you could tell me in how far that might be an option!!!!
    Thank you!
    Try the MSM first
    Consider the HA knee injections - THIS WILL PROVIDE RELIEF!!
    Then consider TB500

forget the steroids for now. just a bandaid and you'll have to deal with natty test production shut down, amongst other things.

michael30 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    it improves collegen synthesis

collegen is the stuff discs, cartiledge and fingernails is made from

it is also a mild anti inflammatory

in the beauty industry, it is used for a variety of things....
    ...women soak their nails in it to strengthen up their toe/finger nails

is a sulphuric based compound. very little if any sides for most if not all people.

Just giving you a heads up. Fingernails are made of keratin, not collegen.

Quote Originally Posted by michael30 View Post
    Just giving you a heads up. Fingernails are made of keratin, not collegen.
    probably right.

....I do know that it improves fingernail strength when soaked topically and growth rates when taken orally

m314 is offline Junior Member
    GHRP-2 and Mod GRF are growth hormone releasing peptides. They stimulate the release of natural growth hormone in your body. They need to be injected 3+ times a day for best results.

Pubmed has a million studies showing how growth hormone can speed up the healing process. The only risk I can see is how it can lower your chances of survival if you happen to have cancer. For me, it would be worth the risk to try GH (or GH releasing peptides) for a few months to heal an injury.

Thread Information