Venice is offline Junior Member

Training in Venice, CA

Since I know there's alot of bodybuilding freaks around the world, I thought some of you might be interested learning what it's like to train at the Mecca--Gold's Gym in Venice, California.

I've been living in Venice and training at the Mecca for about 3 years. I'd love to say that I walked in a scrawny 170 pounds and am now a massive 270. That'd be nice. But you learn a few things training in Venice--one of them being it's not quite the environment here that maybe you'd suspect it to be.

Are there big guys? Big girls? Sure. More than anyplace else I've ever seen. I typically lift in early afternoon and I usually see Craig Titus, Tom Prince, Mike Christian, Flex Wheeler, Chris Cormier, Lee Priest, Gunther Schlierkamp and many others. There's also a fair amount of fitness woman (not so many FBB) like Kelly Ryan, Jennifer Goodwin and whoever's in town to shoot for Flex or Musclemag.

As far as workouts go, it's hard not to get inspired. When I'm standing there doing curls and big Tom Prince (with his 24 inch guns) steps up next to me, I'd have to be a fool not to push just that much harder.

Still, if you think that these guys and girls are going to let you into their social circle just based on a shared love of iron, think again. It's not that they're snobs. Most I've spoken with have been very nice. It's just that they're very careful--and don't even think you'll get anywhere when it comes to talk on juice.

I think the difference between a Gold's Venice and your local gym is there's almost a brotherhood/sisterhood among gearheads in other places. It's not as much the norm to be into that lifestyle so people are more open to meeting others and sharing experience.

However, once you get out here, it's a different ballgame. A few years ago, I trained with a bodybuilder/trainer (I won't say who) who weighed in off-season at 270. At that point, I was very interested in eventually competing, and told him that I wanted to use. While he did start making some subtle "I'm trying to find out if you're gay" comments to me (I'm straight--but there's supposedly some secret sexual component on who gets hooked up and groomed to grow here) he never tried to educate me, help me find sources, or put together a cycle.

Quite honestly, the person who taught me the most about cycling was another guy who lives out this way who I met on a board. Unfortunately, he's moved away...so back I come to cyberspace.

In conclusion, my advice to anyone thinking of moving out to the Mecca is simple. Either be big already or find someone out here with similar interests and established contacts. Venice is a great place to live, and a great place to train, but it's definitely different than I thought.

With that, I'm off to the gym...

INTERESTING!!!

KINDA OF REMINDS ME OF THE FEW TIMES I WORKED FOR WWF..I (JOBBERS) WAS IN AWE JUST BEING AROUND THE SUPERSTARS OF WWF. LAST TIME WAS IN 96 BEFORE IT EXPLODED TO WHAT IT IS TODAY.WHICH IS WHY ITS SOO HARD TO GET BACK IN..ANYWAYS I SEEN THEM ALL AND WAS AROUND THEM ALL..TAKER, HOGAN, MACHO MAN, STIENERS,CRUSH, YOKOZUNA, VADER,FOLEY, SMOKING GUNS (ONE WAS 'MR ASS')..OWEN AND BRETT HART..SRGT SLAUGHTER IS FREAKIN HUGE AND THATS JUST A FEW...BUT IN THE SAME SITUATUION DONT EVEN TRY TO ASK ONE OF THESE SUPERSTARS TO "HEY CAN YOU GET ME A CONTRACT? OR HEY PUT IN A GOOD WORD TO VINCE ABOUT ME"..BASICALLY THATS THEIR FULL TIME JOB, THEIR PROFESSION.THEY ARE NOT ABOUT TO HELP SOMEBODY ELSE GET AN EASY RIDE AND POSS STEAL FOOD OFF THEIR PLATE..MACHO WAS NICE AND COOL AND HE REALLY TALKS LIKE YOU HEAR HIM....SHAWN MICHEALS WAS AN ASS.FARROUQE (RON SIMMONS) WAS COOL TOO...IT WAS AN EXPERINCE I'LL NEVER FORGET!!BUT I WOULD ALMOST HAVE TO SAY ITS EASIER TO BE A ROCK STAR OR SOME KIND OF SINGER THAN TO GET INTO WRESTLING..REMEMBER___THERES ONLY 1 DANCE IN TOWN NOW!!!
    Last edited by MR PHATT ASS; 12-11-2001 at 02:59 PM.

Mike Guest
    Thank you for the post bud - good read. I have trained up there a couple times. I would like to move up there for a while and train for a few months if not longer. I liked the enviroment quite a bit. I would like to move up there sometime next year for a couple months atleast.

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    Great post makes me want to go out to the west to train with the Big Boys even for only a day..

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Great post Venice. I worked out at Golds in Venice for three months during the summer of 93. It was fun and I saw a lot of celebrities. More actors than bodybuilders. The biggest dude I saw there was Lou Ferigno. Man that guy was a monster. For me the more interesting place in Venice was World Gym. I think it was owned by Arnold Schwarzenegger. He had his own parking spot right in front with a gold placque in the middle with his name on it. I used to see him in there every saturday morning. He was a big ham with the ladies. At that time he wasn't really that big. He still looked good but I don't think he was juicing. The only time I ever spoke to him was when he asked if I was done with a certain curl bar. I just said yes. When he entered the gym though, the atmosphere changed, the energy level went way up. He usually came in with his wife Maria Shriver. She looked pretty good I guess. L.A. has so many good looking women she didn't stand out though. One of Arnolds friends at that time was The big German dude in Gladiator. I guess he finally got his big break. Anyway, it was a lot of fun.Great environment. I'm planning on moving back in about four months to the Santa Monica/Pac Palisades area. Maybe I'll see you at the Gym. Peace

Re: Living in Venice

If you're a big guy (like Mike), know your stuff, and are just looking for that extra-push of visual motivation, you can't go wrong training in or around Venice.

For any gearheads interested in a move, I might be purchasing a 3 bdrm/2 bath condo in LA soon. No promises. No guarantees.

Reason I bring it up is I'll have an extra bedroom and bathroom to rent out. While I couldn't be giving it away (mortgages cost $ and I ain't rich) I'd be open to giving a good deal to a knowledgable user who'd help me with my program.

Probably premature to talk about at this point, but if anyone's interested let me know.

Worlds Gym

FYI, both World's and Powerhouse are no more. Actually, World's is technically still around but in a piss-poor little buidling that's a shell of their previous pad.

Gold's has been greatly renovated and is now the only BB show in town...unless you want to go to Balley's...not!

Thread Information