Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SG2009
  • 1 Post By qscgugcsq
  • 1 Post By jolter604
  • 1 Post By thephoenix25
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: Acne problem: what is the recommended dosage of accutane?

SG2009 is offline Member

Acne problem: what is the recommended dosage of accutane?

hey friends,,,,I finally got some 20 mg pills of Accutane in my mailbox today shipped from India. I hope these pills would sure help with my acne situation. My question however is how many pills should I take a day, each pill is 20mg?? I need to know the right dosage to avoid any serious sides.

Caveat: I have no prescription for these medication but I seriously have acne problem,,,,,,Thanks in advance

SG
    william981125 likes this.

qscgugcsq is offline Anabolic Member
    Accutane do magic...

10mg ED until.you are clear and maintain(if on cycle) at 10mg EOD
    You might get ocasionnal pimple.but who care rather have 1 or 2 without sides effect than 0 with dey lips and skin
    jolter604 likes this.

jolter604 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like walking out of the gym with trails of blood coming down my shoulders and back. Yeaaaah

SG2009 is offline Member
    Thanks qscgugcsa!!! as I said each pill is 20mg...would u suggest I split them pills?? thanks again

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    I use 20 mg isotretinoin every cycle and for a few weeks during the summer when it's really hot. As stated above EOD dosing is effective. Accutane is highly lipophilic, meaning oral absorption can be increased over 50% when taken with a meal containing healthy fats. Accutane my impair wound healing and increase scarring. If you cut yourself while on, use neosporin/polysporin.

IMO you should take accutane before bed with a meal and plenty of water. Also, I have found that applying lip balm before bed negates the lip drying side effect.

SG2009 is offline Member
    Thank u numbere for your advise. ....stay bless!!

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    I use 20 mg isotretinoin every cycle and for a few weeks during the summer when it's really hot. As stated above EOD dosing is effective. Accutane is highly lipophilic, meaning oral absorption can be increased over 50% when taken with a meal containing healthy fats. Accutane my impair wound healing and increase scarring. If you cut yourself while on, use neosporin/polysporin.

IMO you should take accutane before bed with a meal and plenty of water. Also, I have found that applying lip balm before bed negates the lip drying side effect.

thephoenix25 is offline Associate Member
    Accutane is highly lipophilic, meaning oral absorption can be increased over 50% when taken with a meal containing healthy fats.
    I didn't know this, thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by thephoenix25 View Post
    I didn't know this, thanks for sharing it.
    No problem, I'm happy to help. Here's one of the studies I have on using isotretinoin.

The use of isotretinoin in acne

No problem, I'm happy to help. Here's one of the studies I have on using isotretinoin.

The use of isotretinoin in acne
    Thanks for the link, great read.

What is your opinion on dosing E4D? I read that the half life of Isotretinoin is 21.0 ± 8.2 hours. I have the 20mg tabs but would like to dose at ~5mg p/d during maintenance. Do you think this is realistic or am I stretching it a bit too far?

Thanks for the link, great read.

What is your opinion on dosing E4D? I read that the half life of Isotretinoin is 21.0 ± 8.2 hours. I have the 20mg tabs but would like to dose at ~5mg p/d during maintenance. Do you think this is realistic or am I stretching it a bit too far?
    First I'd like to say that there is much more that goes into determining the pharmacokinetics of a compound other than half life.

I think you should experiment in order to determine what dose works best for you with the least amount of side effects. I think ~5 mg/day is a good starting point. Don't be afraid to try EOD dosing.

My maintenance dose is 20 mg/EOD with no side effects. Taking 20 mg/day gives me chapped lips and nosebleeds.

I don't mean to scare you, but I have never seen isotretion in tablet form. I was under the impression that it only came in liquid filled capsules.

qscgugcsq is offline Anabolic Member

First I'd like to say that there is much more that goes into determining the pharmacokinetics of a compound other than half life.

I think you should experiment in order to determine what dose works best for you with the least amount of side effects. I think ~5 mg/day is a good starting point. Don't be afraid to try EOD dosing.

My maintenance dose is 20 mg/EOD with no side effects. Taking 20 mg/day gives me chapped lips and nosebleeds.

I don't mean to scare you, but I have never seen isotretion in tablet form. I was under the impression that it only came in liquid filled capsules.
    Lower dosage comes in coated pills
    10mg are pills
    20mg im not sure
    40mg are liquid filled capsule

Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq View Post
    Lower dosage comes in coated pills
    10mg are pills
    20mg im not sure
    40mg are liquid filled capsule
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Not a prob, my bad, its a Thai brand I use, still the same 20mg liquid capsules, similar to those I was prescribed by my doc in the UK. I've used them successfully in the past (sides 'n all lol) (pic included)

My protocol is usually :
    20mg p/d for 2 weeks if I break out bad, but as you said dry lips and skin sides.
    20mg EOD to maintain till after PCT
    20mg E4D after PCT for a further 4-6 weeks (just to be sure)

I'm quite prone to acne hence the above protocol. I was just wondering if I'm wasting the E4D dose, because when starting it tends to needs about 7 days before any visible changes occur, so I'm assuming effects of Isotretinoin take a few days to build up. I'm thinking E4D wont allow enough to build up to be of any use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Acne problem: what is the recommended dosage of accutane?-005.jpg  

Sorry to the OP for hi-jacking your thread btw

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Are you aware of the potential side effects SG?

SG2009 is offline Member
    Sorry to the OP for hi-jacking your thread btw
    Its ok...I'm learning from these interaction. So far in my first week, I took 20mg pill every 12hrs, in the second week I cut back to 20mg everyday (that is one pill per day instead of two) due to excessive facial skin and lip dryness. In week three, I hope to do the same 20mg ED. I usually used Johson&Johnson baby lotion for skin moisturizer but it ain't helping now, does anyone what kind kind of moisturizer is best suited for such dryness induced by Accutane??

Quote Originally Posted by SG2009 View Post
    Its ok...I'm learning from these interaction. So far in my first week, I took 20mg pill every 12hrs, in the second week I cut back to 20mg everyday (that is one pill per day instead of two) due to excessive facial skin and lip dryness. In week three, I hope to do the same 20mg ED. I usually used Johson&Johnson baby lotion for skin moisturizer but it ain't helping now, does anyone what kind kind of moisturizer is best suited for such dryness induced by Accutane??
    My prefered face lotion is 100% pure aloe vera. It is the only product that doesn't clog my pores.

If you are experiencing dry skin then you are using and excessive amount of accutane.
    SG2009 likes this.

Thread Information