jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member

Pre cycle blood questions

So I got my blood work done from my GP and have a few questions.

First off i'm 26, 5'11 185 bf ~ 12-13%

Had complete blood count, lipid panel, testosterone , they wouldn't test estrogen don't know if I should have got done or not.

Same as a previous blood test I have had done, my hemoglobin, hematocrit and especially RBC counts are high bordering on outside normal range. They were just within but I have had then over in the past.

Also, my cholesterol in the lipid panel was slightly above the allowable normal range (4.65 when it should be <4.6)

Testosterone was 19.1 (whatever that means) measured at around noon, which is within normal range. Did not give me the total, free etc. or do I have to specifically ask for that

Anyways, I was wondering if the high hemo,hematocrit, and RBC counts could be a problem when cycling or how should I read into any of the above numbers including testosterone count.

Help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    Have you done previous cycles? If so when was your last one?

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost88 View Post

Also, my cholesterol in the lipid panel was slightly above the allowable normal range (4.65 when it should be <4.6)

Help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    I pay most attention to my cholestrol values. Thats what can kill you later. But total cholestrol is not enough. You also need to know ldl and hdl. Most Dangerous is high Levels of smaller/medium ldl combined with low hdl, then low hdls and last high total ldls.
    So if Your high total is a result of high hdl, it migth indicate its nothing to be worried about.

But its rare you will find a cliniqu which can split ldlresults, so total hdl is very important.
    Last edited by AR's King Silabolin; 08-10-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyPlease? View Post
    Have you done previous cycles? If so when was your last one?
    Have not done any previous cycles. Doctor also asked me if I was taking any PED's after the bloodwork. But I am 100% clean, just looking into starting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Silabolin View Post
    I pay most attention to my cholestrol values. Thats what can kill you later. But total cholestrol is not enough. You also need to know ldl and hdl. Most Dangerous is high Levels of smaller/medium ldl combined with low hdl, then low hdls and last high total ldls.
    So if Your high total is a result of high hdl, it migth indicate its nothing to be worried about.

But its rare you will find a cliniqu which can split ldlresults, so total hdl is very important.
    All I have for that is the:
    total cholesterol which was 4.65 with a ref range of 3.2-4.6
    triglycerides which were in normal range
    HDL cholesterol 0.99 ref range >=0.91
    Total HDL cholesterol ratio 4.7

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    All I have for that is the:
    total cholesterol which was 4.65 with a ref range of 3.2-4.6
    triglycerides which were in normal range
    HDL cholesterol 0.99 ref range >=0.91
    Total HDL cholesterol ratio 4.7
    That gives 4,65-0,99= 3,64 ldl . Optimal is less than 3,37. Optimal Total Hdl ratio is 3,5 -1

So that is the issue, damned ldl-cholestrol.

I would look into it if i were you and maybe start an even more cholestrolfriendly Life. BB said to me that was one of the easiest tasks to do so....

Quote Originally Posted by Silabolin View Post
    That gives 4,65-0,99= 3,64 ldl . Optimal is less than 3,37. Optimal Total Hdl ratio is 3,5 -1

So that is the issue, damned ldl-cholestrol.

I would look into it if i were you and maybe start an even more cholestrolfriendly Life. BB said to me that was one of the easiest tasks to do so....
    Thanks man. What would a more cholesterol friendly lifestyle involve? Also would cycling increase cholesterol?

Have not done any previous cycles. Doctor also asked me if I was taking any PED's after the bloodwork. But I am 100% clean, just looking into starting one.
    In my opinion your high RBCs, Hematocrit, and Hemaglobin need to be looked into further before cycling.

Do you live at a high altitude? Sleep apnea? Kidney issues? Lung Disease? There can be a lot of reasons for the abnormal values, some serious and some not so serious but I would look further into it and AAS will definitely increase these values.

Thanks man. What would a more cholesterol friendly lifestyle involve? Also would cycling increase cholesterol?
    Yes cycling will increase cholesterol. Excuse the long post but to answer your question...

Atherosclerotic disease underlies the most common cause of death in developed and underprivileged nations. In the United States alone, coronary artery disease causes approximately 1 of every 6 deaths, accounting for more than 400,000 deaths annually.

Risk factors for the development of atherosclerosis include modifiable lifestyle factors. Some of these risk factors, such as hyperlipidemia and dyslipidemia can be influenced through the diet. It is well accepted that high serum levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) play a main role in the initiation and progression of atherosclerosis. Furthermore, high-density lipoproteins (HDL) offer a protective effect in the development of atherosclerosis, either by suppressing vascular-LDL accumulation, inflammation, oxidation, or endothelial damage. Overconsumption of specific types of fats, primarily saturated fats and trans fats, can increase the risk of developing atherosclerosis. Saturated fats increase blood cholesterol and trans fats increase levels of LDL while simultaneously lowering levels of HDL.

Overconsumption of omega-6 fatty acids can also contribute to atherosclerosis by increasing inflammation that is responsible for damage to arterial walls, although this theory remains controversial. Conversely, under consumption of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats also contributes to the progression of atherosclerosis as these specific types of fats can help to lower LDL and total blood cholesterol respectively. In addition, a lack of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet can contribute to disease progression as these types of fats are needed to help mitigate inflammation.

Dietary recommendations for the prevention and management of atherosclerosis include limiting saturated fat intake to less than 10% of total energy intake by replacing foods that are rich in saturated fats with foods that contain high amounts of unsaturated fats. Dietary guidelines also recommend limiting cholesterol intake to less than 300mg per day for prevention and 200mg per day for treatment. The American Heart Association’s population-wide recommendation is to consume no more than 30% of total calories as fat and intake of omega-6 fatty acids be no more than 10% of total calories. Trans fats should be limited as much as possible if not avoided all together.

Other dietary factors besides modifying fat intake can also slow the progression of or help control atherosclerosis. Choosing a diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products provides important vitamins, minerals, fiber. Fiber can reduce LDL levels without lowering beneficial HDL. Alcohol and salt should also be consumed in moderation. For those who are overweight, consuming less calories in order to lose weight can also reduce one’s risk for developing this chronic disease. Excess body fat, especially around the midsection of the body, is associated with unhealthy LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyPlease? View Post
    Yes cycling will increase cholesterol. Excuse the long post but to answer your question...

Atherosclerotic disease underlies the most common cause of death in developed and underprivileged nations. In the United States alone, coronary artery disease causes approximately 1 of every 6 deaths, accounting for more than 400,000 deaths annually.

Risk factors for the development of atherosclerosis include modifiable lifestyle factors. Some of these risk factors, such as hyperlipidemia and dyslipidemia can be influenced through the diet. It is well accepted that high serum levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) play a main role in the initiation and progression of atherosclerosis. Furthermore, high-density lipoproteins (HDL) offer a protective effect in the development of atherosclerosis, either by suppressing vascular-LDL accumulation, inflammation, oxidation, or endothelial damage. Overconsumption of specific types of fats, primarily saturated fats and trans fats, can increase the risk of developing atherosclerosis. Saturated fats increase blood cholesterol and trans fats increase levels of LDL while simultaneously lowering levels of HDL.

Overconsumption of omega-6 fatty acids can also contribute to atherosclerosis by increasing inflammation that is responsible for damage to arterial walls, although this theory remains controversial. Conversely, under consumption of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats also contributes to the progression of atherosclerosis as these specific types of fats can help to lower LDL and total blood cholesterol respectively. In addition, a lack of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet can contribute to disease progression as these types of fats are needed to help mitigate inflammation.

Dietary recommendations for the prevention and management of atherosclerosis include limiting saturated fat intake to less than 10% of total energy intake by replacing foods that are rich in saturated fats with foods that contain high amounts of unsaturated fats. Dietary guidelines also recommend limiting cholesterol intake to less than 300mg per day for prevention and 200mg per day for treatment. The American Heart Association’s population-wide recommendation is to consume no more than 30% of total calories as fat and intake of omega-6 fatty acids be no more than 10% of total calories. Trans fats should be limited as much as possible if not avoided all together.

Other dietary factors besides modifying fat intake can also slow the progression of or help control atherosclerosis. Choosing a diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products provides important vitamins, minerals, fiber. Fiber can reduce LDL levels without lowering beneficial HDL. Alcohol and salt should also be consumed in moderation. For those who are overweight, consuming less calories in order to lose weight can also reduce one’s risk for developing this chronic disease. Excess body fat, especially around the midsection of the body, is associated with unhealthy LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels
    Interesting. My diet is pretty rigid with almost no saturated fats and lots of fiber / vegetables. Will look into tightening it up even more after hearing this thanks.

As for the high RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin from the bloodwork I have had done in the past (not related to steroids ) they have always been high even when I was a teenager. I do live in a high altitude city and do pretty intense powerlifting workouts 5-6 days a week which may have something to do with it.

Not aware of any sleep apnea or kidney/lung issues. My health seems to be in perfect order and have never had any problems apart from sport related injuries in my life.

Thread Information