ZigsStar is offline New Member

Few questions about 'old-school' cycles

Hey
    So I have a few questions about old-school cycles, talking 1970s era!

1) PCT didn't exist like it does these days, so how did they keep their size between cycles? I'm assuming they didn't stay on more than 12-14 weeks a time judging from what I've read.
    2) Would this be like a modern day equivalent of a 70s era cycle? :

500mg Test E/week
    30mg Dbol /day (but how long would they run Dbol for?

3) How mild was a 70s era cycle compared with the cycles pros run these days?

Thanks in advance

Bicep321 is offline Associate Member
    There's a lot of speculation of how they did it back then. I wish some old school bodybuilders would come out and explain their protocols.

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicep321
    There's a lot of speculation of how they did it back then. I wish some old school bodybuilders would come out and explain their protocols.
    I second this.

tempest818 is offline Associate Member
    Well i would say were more well informed on some of the effects and how to combat them with different drugs they probably didnt have at the time.

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    They ate food.

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    i've read that they did not use test, they did consider it dangerous .
    instead they used deca ,primo,dbol . just what i've read.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1972 View Post
    They ate food.
    And trained hard.

They lived the lifestyle 24/7 and didn't/couldn't use AAS as the crutch most people use today.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

ZiggyStarman is offline New Member
    So how would they have used them?
    Lightly?

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF
    Im guessing here but i think a lot would have just stayed on

I could picture people saying fvck it and increasing dose and adding compounds left right and center and i also guess not many got bloodwork done
    Last edited by TheTaxMan; 01-19-2016 at 06:50 PM.

rocky79 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1972 View Post
    They ate food.
    Back in the day, (you know youre gettn old when you get to say that), we ate like pigs. If I was having steak and eggs for breakfast that meant a London broil with a dozen eggs. Clean, but pigs. Lots of chicken breast. Lots of shakes too. everybody had a witches brew in their blender. As far as gear went it was real simple, dianabol or testosterone , needle or pill. You didn't have to be a scientist like you need today. We also lifted our asses off. I had a 6 day regimen with 2 days rest for a muscle group. A typical day was 4-5 hrs in the gym. I lifted for football to bulk up. It was a lot of fun but hard work too.
    Last edited by rocky79; 01-20-2016 at 07:37 AM.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    I wouldn't necessarily use "old school" drug protocols for steroids today. Just like I wouldn't drill a hole in my head to let the evil spirits out because I have a headache. I wouldn't bleed myself because I have the flu.

They didnt use growth, and they didn't use insulin . They generally used a lot higher volume while lifting (I think this is the reason for the more desirable look), and they got down around 7-8% body fat. Not 3%. High protein, fairly high fat, low carb diet.

FinaKat is offline Junior Member
    I would agree they mainly used Testosterone and Dianabol , however for what it's worth there were other steroids around back then, like Anadrol , for example, which was made by Syntex in 1960. The only thing I've heard about "old-scool" protocol was that they would often pyramid dosages in a cycle of test, let's say, and they didn't do PCT. I heard this from one of the older guys on this forum about 2 years back. I am trying not to imagine what it was like enduring recovery for some of the heavier, or longer-running AAS users back then.

Let's be honest, most of us can take a regular no frills cycle of Test throughout our best training years and probably recover "okay" without PCT, up to a certain number of times. I would imagine the recovery would be much more painstaking and drawn out, but for most of us depending on how young we are we would probably bounce back. This certainly doesn't constitute an "okay" recovery by today's standards involving bloodwork, but many of those guys went on to have normal sex lives and be able to father children, so overall, not bad for what the situation was.

I can't imagine someone taking 2 cycles a year or even running test for 12 weeks every summer or something, and taking on a cold turkey recovery. I would imagine the ones who were convinced they couldn't stop probably stayed on after a period of trial and error with cold turkey recovery in which they were baffled after the 5th or 6th time at their lack of sex drive, depression, and muscle losses. I would assume the vast majority of the others only used it as a last resort and probably had far less sources, information, and wide-spread connections and availability like we do today. More than likely most probably only experimented with several short cycles and put most emphasis on eating and natural training.

FinaKat is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigsStar View Post
    3) How mild was a 70s era cycle compared with the cycles pros run these days?
    They didn't use insulin , or HGH, as was just stated above. Alot of the more "complex" (though I'm not sure if that's the case chemically) AAS's were just being developed at that point, so it's safe to assume other than a small pool of of either well-connected or perhaps chemistry savvy bodybuilders, average user probably didn't have access to them or even have heard of them. I'm talking about Winny, Anadrol , Anavar , Equipose, Trenbolone and others. These were just on the horizon so you do the math, they didn't have as much of the hard cocktails to stack test with, they probably only heard of them vaguely. This is not to say, they didn't have things like amphetamines, or epehdra, when needed for an "extra kick" during cutting, but yeah.

Like someone else mentioned above you didn't have to be a "scientist", and juiceheads didn't have a book or a steroid .com forum they could refer to. The internet changed everything - literally. Those were still the good ol' days when you had to grab a book or pick up the damn house phone if you wanted the scoop on something. And now that I'm thinking, without cell/smart phones, Tinder, OkCupid, and Facebook, it makes a lot of sense why people say it was so easy to get a chick to "go home with you" from whichever bar or social setting you were in, during the 1970s. At 3:00AM she had few options as did you unless you were up for throwing pebbles up to someone's window

adatar is offline New Member
    i imagine that they took orals every day for a long time,10mg dbol every morning,atleast what i hear on youtube on some channels for arnold,but dont know if its true

Thread Information