212OlympiaBound is offline Associate Member

Insulin messed me up bad

This is just a warning for you guys...

I used insulin with an average dose of 25iu preworkout. I would go up as high as 50iu preworkout for kicks and giggles. Time after time, I was told that insulin has no long-term effects; as long as you keep your bloodsugar stable while you're on insulin, you're all peachy. Well this turned out to be dead wrong...

I stopped shooting insulin about a year and a half ago, and since then I have been fighting a condition they call reactive hypoglycemia. This is what happens to me:
    1.) About 3 hours after a meal my blood sugar tanks.
    2.) In general, I have a hypoglycemic seizure. My blood sugars have been recorded as low as 15 in the ambulance. I usually wake up when they hit about 23.
    3.) One time, I was home alone when this happened and didn't wake up until about 24 hours later. I was basically in a diabetic coma.
    4.) I have gone critically hypo to the point of seizures and passing out 10 times in the past 18 months.
    5.) Doctors can't treat or cure this.

So moral of the story is...I royally messed up my blood sugar for life from insulin abuse. Don't be like me.

4linked is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 212OlympiaBound View Post
    This is just a warning for you guys...

I used insulin with an average dose of 25iu preworkout. I would go up as high as 50iu preworkout for kicks and giggles. Time after time, I was told that insulin has no long-term effects; as long as you keep your bloodsugar stable while you're on insulin, you're all peachy. Well this turned out to be dead wrong...

I stopped shooting insulin about a year and a half ago, and since then I have been fighting a condition they call reactive hypoglycemia. This is what happens to me:
    1.) About 3 hours after a meal my blood sugar tanks.
    2.) In general, I have a hypoglycemic seizure. My blood sugars have been recorded as low as 15 in the ambulance. I usually wake up when they hit about 23.
    3.) One time, I was home alone when this happened and didn't wake up until about 24 hours later. I was basically in a diabetic coma.
    4.) I have gone critically hypo to the point of seizures and passing out 10 times in the past 18 months.
    5.) Doctors can't treat or cure this.

So moral of the story is...I royally messed up my blood sugar for life from insulin abuse. Don't be like me.
    25 iu is a ton of slin and 50 is insane

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Reactive hypoglycemia is essentially the opposite of diabetes.
    It occurs when one normally eats a very clean diet with little to no processed sugars, then eats just sugar/fast carbs for a meal.
    Using AAS makes this condition much more likely, as AAS increases insulin sensitivity.

So are you using AAS and eating real clean, but sometimes just having carbs without adequate protein and fat? If so, stop doing that and you shouldn't experience this issue.

I used to drop into the 40-50's when I was on a cutting cycle and had just a gatorade or some shit at work on an empty stomach. But I always recognized it early enough to correct it with food.

kallmenelly is offline Associate Member
    That's why you don't fruck with the slin for gains, unless you already have diabetes....

It happens when I'm off everything. Cutting or bulking it doesn't matter. I eat a very average American diet with high protein choices and I am somewhat conscious of calories. Pretty sure I'm just screwed up for life now.

dep30 is offline Associate Member
    How long did you stay on slin? I have used it several times never longer than 4-5 weeks and never more than 14 iu at a time for a total of 28 iu a day... I've never had any problems like you are saying but I've never used the amount your talking about either... Just curious how long u stayed on?

It happens when I'm off everything. Cutting or bulking it doesn't matter. I eat a very average American diet with high protein choices and I am somewhat conscious of calories. Pretty sure I'm just screwed up for life now.
    No, man. Again, if you just increase your insulin resistance a bit, you'll be fine. There is nothing permanent about reactive hypoglycemia. It sounds weird, but you're too fit for your own good (at least from a pancreatic point of view). Monitor your blood sugar by taking it every morning. Eat more junk food, use less steroids (Tren is the worst choice for you) and watch it slowly climb, to where your BGL will stabilize more easily and you don't go hypo if you eat some sugar alone or skip a meal. Start a log and track your values here. It'll be interesting.

Yes, I'm asking you to mess up your hard-earned gains a bit, but it beats the hell out of a coma.

I'm speaking from personal experience and physiology education.

Your doctors probably don't know what to tell you because this is a fairly rare issue (especially among the diabetic fat asses they're used to treating).

Also, how do you not realize it when you're going hypo? I find it hard to miss...
    You probably just became accustomed to the sensation when using all that slin, so that you can function ok in mild hypoglycemia and don't notice it until it's too late. This happens to many insulin-dependent diabetics (especially if they take beta blockers as well).

Age?
    Medical Hx?
    Stats?
    Drugs and supps?

PS: Have you been screened for pancreatic cancer? (because that would be the main exception to what I'm assuming the problem is) Get blood work and post it here. Is your liver in good shape? Because a diseased liver won't store and release glycogen properly.
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 02-10-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Well that is encouraging. Age 24. 5 foot 10 215. I don't lift heavy now but I benched 465 and dead lifted. 635 a year and a half back. Supps are whey protein and Clomid. Juice should have been outta my system a few weeks ago and I still go hypo. And man I eat like crap. Oatmeal eggs chicken. Any bakery people bring to the office. Deadly amounts of Taco Bell. Meat potatoes and peanut butter. I had a glucometer but I threw it out. I'm low 24/7 and crash 3 hours after a high carb meal. Been that way for a year and a half. My liver is not peachy now that you mention it. Killed it from drinking in high school. And I had an unfortunate 80mg per day encounter with sdrol
    Last edited by 212OlympiaBound; 02-10-2016 at 08:25 PM.

There you go. You just listed a bunch of factors that will contribute to rebound hypoglycemia.
    Just because the steroids are out of your system, does not mean that they aren't screwing with your BGL (since you'll have to "work" to undo the effects they had on your insulin sensitivity).
    For now, make sure to eat often, but don't go nuts on the carbs (and if you do carb up, make sure to eat plenty of fat and protein alongside it). Keep snacks on hand at all times and eat something if you get hungry/suspect you're going hypo.
    Please do all the other stuff I suggested.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like Bonaparte said, how do you miss going hypo? I know instantly I have to get some sugar.(carbs)

Also, why the hell were you shootinv 25-50iu pre workout? How would you even get enough carbs in while training?

Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Like Bonaparte said, how do you miss going hypo? I know instantly I have to get some sugar.(carbs)

Also, why the hell were you shootinv 25-50iu pre workout? How would you even get enough carbs in while training?
    Well for one, I run hypo in general. When it really starts crashing it's really gnarly. You wouldn't believe it. It feels like I just shot 200 units rapid slin. I barely caught it today with about 2 pounds of peanut m&ms and a can of Mountain Dew. Almost hit the floor. Once I shoved handfuls of oats into my mouth for about 5 minutes and it still got me. That was when I was out for 24 hours. Yeah when it starts going, it's wicked like you wouldn't believe

Thanks Bonaparte. You're making me feel a lot better. And you're right about the diet.... If I keep carbs low and make sure to add fat with them, I do a ton better. I'll be off juice for half a year at least and I'll see what happens

Thanks Bonaparte. You're making me feel a lot better. And you're right about the diet.... If I keep carbs low and make sure to add fat with them, I do a ton better. I'll be off juice for half a year at least and I'll see what happens
    Good. And please buy a glucometer (even a $10 one will do) and track those morning blood sugar readings.

Thread Information