Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghettoboyd

Thread: Cycling on maintenance cals?

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF

Cycling on maintenance cals?

I figured id post this here instead of the diet section for a faster response

Has or does anyone cycle at maintenance cals? What happens or what would happen?

We always seem to cut 300-500 calories out to cut fat
    And add 300-500 calories to bulk

I want to know what happens when cycling at maintenance cals? Im hopin the answer is just pure LBM? Or does nothing happen?

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxMan View Post
    I figured id post this here instead of the diet section for a faster response

Has or does anyone cycle at maintenance cals? What happens or what would happen?

We always seem to cut 300-500 calories out to cut fat
    And add 300-500 calories to bulk

I want to know what happens when cycling at maintenance cals? Im hopin the answer is just pure LBM? Or does nothing happen?
    I am about 90-300 Calories below maintenance. Only been 8 days so ask me in 7 weeks and I'll let you know :-)

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    If your cycling at maintenance cals then nothing will happen unless you up the intensity so that those cals are not maintenance anymore. You either have to eat to grow or reduce cals to reduce bf

If you upped the intesity on miantenance cals then that would be the same as just cutting out the 300-500 cals to cut right?

Do you think someone cycling at 15% bodyfat looking to bulk, could also achieve some fat loss? Or is it not possible?

Its happened to me before where i have bulked and lost fat but that bodyfat % was 25%, at 15% could i experience the same?
    Last edited by TheTaxMan; 03-09-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxMan
    If you upped the intesity on miantenance cals then that would be the same as just cutting out the 300-500 cals to cut right?
    Correct maintenance is going to be just that if you are truly running maintenance ... It has to be one way or the other

I just edited my post there bio and added another question if you dont mind

Thanks buddy

Do you think someone cycling at 15% bodyfat looking to bulk, could also achieve some fat loss? Or is it not possible?

Its happened to me before where i have bulked and lost fat but that bodyfat % was 25%, at 15% could i experience the same?
    It's a real fine line and most are not going to be strict enough with there nutrition to bulk and loose bf at the same time

Ok then my goal has to be gain muscle but not any fat in the process, should i go up 300 or 500 cals?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Depends on compounds, macro's and training. In all honesty that is what a recomposition is. I've done it but I now see it as a bit of a waste of a cycle really. The results are slow and unless you have everything bang on you'd likely be disappointed with the results.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

saucerking is offline Associate Member
    You cannot "bulk" and lose fat. That makes no sense.

You gotta either bulk or cut. Don't bother trying to cycle at maintenance calories. Waste of time.

If you don't want to gain more fat, do a small cut before cycling or cut on cycle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Depends on compounds, macro's and training. In all honesty that is what a recomposition is. I've done it but I now see it as a bit of a waste of a cycle really. The results are slow and unless you have everything bang on you'd likely be disappointed with the results.
    I agree that's what a recomp is...but I don't agree it would be a waste of time in his situation...he has been "on" for many months now and there is a point of diminishing returns when one dose what he is doing imho he is going to need a lot of gear to see any results at this point so I would do recomp or cut...then give himself a long break, get some bloodwork and see where he is at...that just my opinion...
    InternalFire likes this.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    I agree that's what a recomp is...but I don't agree it would be a waste of time in his situation...he has been "on" for many months now and there is a point of diminishing returns when one dose what he is doing imho he is going to need a lot of gear to see any results at this point so I would do recomp or cut...then give himself a long break, get some bloodwork and see where he is at...that just my opinion...
    Waste of a cycle for me. I agree it has its place but it's difficult to achieve good results, as I said, unless your diet, training and cardio are set up correctly for you.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's been covered mainly Tax, but I'll chime in anyway.

Eating at exactly maintenance would result in a slow recomposition with or without the gear. However, we all know you're a long way from the like of Bio in terms of diet strictness.
    So a Recomposition simply wouldn't work for you.

You're best to either add 500Kcal a day to bulk, or cut 500Kcal a day and lean out. My two cents.

IMHO: you should come off, stay at maintenance calories, get bloodwork. In 6 months when you've perfected your diet, and made some changes in the mirror, come back to the gear.

Reality: you're going to stay on, bulk heavily, end up back at 25% body fat.

I've done the same before mate. I'd strongly suggest the former option!

Sent from my iPhone using App

Thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate it, ive made my mind up to slowly cut, and work the muscles that are lacking every 4 days (my chest and legs) - that way i will be leaner, in proportion and ready for a future bulk

One more question
    If ones cycle is 14 weeks long, can you cut for 7 weeks and bulk for 7 weeks? or even the other way round? Anyone tried it?
    Last edited by TheTaxMan; 03-10-2016 at 04:57 AM.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    One more question If ones cycle is 14 weeks long, can you cut for 7 weeks and bulk for 7 weeks? or even the other way round? Anyone tried it?
    You wouldn't make enough difference. You'd just end up where you started.

Best option is to pick a goal. And stick to it until achieved, be it cut to 15% or bulk to 250lbs

Sent from my iPhone using App

Cheers, im going to cut, i think id rather trade in presence and look good on the beach this summer, than be huge but smoothed, i will bulk in the autumn and winter

Thanks for helping make up my mind

Thread Information