Max8629 is offline New Member

How to go about getting required blood work in US?

Looking to get my blood work out of the way sometime soon, but I am confused on how to go about it. I read a thread that said to order the required tests online and then visit a local lab, which I am able to do.

However, can I just go to a local hospital and ask for the tests that I need, or is a prescription needed for that? In this case, I have a prescription for bloodwork to check my creatinine levels, could I use this to get the other required tests done? Or should I just go through the online option?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It depends on what state you are in. I know in CA, the labs can only do what the doctor ordered and they will only send the results to the doctor. You cannot have them sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    It depends on what state you are in. I know in CA, the labs can only do what the doctor ordered and they will only send the results to the doctor. You cannot have them sent to you.
    I am in PA, and I believe I can order lab results for myself. Is this the only way though?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thanks, guess I will just go the online route.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    There is a private lab in my area that does blood work without a doctor's orde as long as you are paying out of pocket. It wasn't terribly expensive either. Less then $75 if I remember. And I am in a small area so if you are in a bigger area I am sure you can find a private lab as well.

Thread Information