saucerking is offline Associate Member

What causes depression DURING a cycle?

Has anyone here ever had depression DURING a cycle? Not pct or after cycle or even before cycle. But during it?

I'm male, 26 yrs old, first cycle. I was 6 weeks into a Test E only cycle 500mg per week. I started feeling really depressed when it was like week 4. Then when it got to 6 weeks (which was recently), I couldn't take it anymore and ended my cycle. Now I'm about to do PCT. (And no, there was nothing going on outside my life that could have made me depressed.)

I checked my blood levels and found this out 6 weeks in:
    Testosterone , Total: LC/MS 3257.6 High ng/dL
    Free Testosterone(Direct): >50.0 High
    Estradiol, Sensitive: 50.2 High

I want to say it's my estrogen being high, but it's not that high imo so idk. Yes I was taking an AI, arimidex .25 eod. I bumped it up to .5 eod once I saw the blood results. This was just recently; like a few days ago.

So what I want to know is, what do you think could have caused the depression? What do I need to do to prevent this from happening when I do my second cycle?

-Is it the estrogen being a bit high?
    -Maybe Testosterone E causes it and I should switch to Test P or C?
    -Possibly the brand of Test caused it? (Geneza Pharmaceuticals)

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. I don't want this to happen every time I do a cycle.

Anyone???????

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So you decided to get off cycle...

There is no difference between esters and/or brands regarding this matter. However, faster release esters like propionate will probably worsen the sides.

That E2 is a lil high and could definitely contribute to symptoms, but it was likely the T itself and/or DHT that triggered depression (imho).

Hope you recover well.

Northernpumps is offline Junior Member
    Hormones are a strange science...

Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro View Post
    So you decided to get off cycle...

There is no difference between esters and/or brands regarding this matter. However, faster release esters like propionate will probably worsen the sides.

That E2 is a lil high and could definitely contribute to symptoms, but it was likely the T itself and/or DHT that triggered depression (imho).

Hope you recover well.
    Yes I decided to get off cycle.... I can't take this depression. I don't want to do anything! I don't want to workout, go to work, I don't eat that much anymore either, don't talk to anyone, just hate my life, it's the worst feeling in the world, it's fucked up dude.

So no matter what brand I use, it's going to cause the same exact effects?

And you think the testosterone itself caused my extreme depression? I mean does that sound normal?? I thought testosterone was supposed to make you feel the complete opposite. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Is there anything I can do at all to prevent this when I do another cycle? Maybe I should take anti-depressants just on cycle?

Also, what exactly is DHT?

Ahahahaha it won't work like that for anyone. I am acquainted with your feelings, T has the same very effect for me. But I had no choice, since I'm on TRT.

DHT is a powerful T derivative. Oral aas like winstrol have structural affinity with DHT.

Don't take SSRI for this purpose please. It's not like you can go on and off them indiscriminately - they don't work that way.

Have you ever looked into your thyroid?

Ahahahaha it won't work like that for anyone. I am acquainted with your feelings, T has the same very effect for me. But I had no choice, since I'm on TRT.

DHT is a powerful T derivative. Oral aas like winstrol have structural affinity with DHT.

Don't take SSRI for this purpose please. It's not like you can go on and off them indiscriminately - they don't work that way.

Have you ever looked into your thyroid?
    What is SSRI.....

And you're telling me you feel the same? You hate everyone, stopped going to the gym, barely eat anything, don't want to go to work or school, and just hate your life? I highly doubt that but okay

And no I haven't checked my thyroid. How would that help exactly?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Try a dietary supplements called 5-HTP by a good brand. If it's too bad. Or you feel you can't handle this on your own. Contact your medical doctor.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 07-15-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saucerking
    What is SSRI..... And no I haven't checked my thyroid. How would that help exactly?
    Ssri is a drug for depression that works on serotonin pathways. It takes awhile to start working and takes a long time for your body to recover after you stop it. Which usually consist of a slow process of whining off of it.

Low thyroid function cause a decrease in metabolism. Which causes lethargy, mood disorders, chronic pain, etc.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Try a dietary supplements called 5-HTP by a good brand. If it's too bad. Or you feel you can't handle this on your own. Contact your medical doctor.
    If 5-HTP is one of those "mood increaser" pills, it doesn't work on me. I've tried supplements that supposedly make you happy or increase mood. Doesn't do jack for me

And I don't think I should contact my doctor and tell him I feel depressed when I take steroids lol. That's why I'm on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Ssri is a drug for depression that works on serotonin pathways. It takes awhile to start working and takes a long time for your body to recover after you stop it. Which usually consist of a slow process of whining off of it.

Low thyroid function cause a decrease in metabolism. Which causes lethargy, mood disorders, chronic pain, etc.
    Well I'm pretty positive I don't have a decrease in metabolism because I need 4500 calories a day just to gain weight. And that's off cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by saucerking View Post
    What is SSRI.....

And you're telling me you feel the same? You hate everyone, stopped going to the gym, barely eat anything, don't want to go to work or school, and just hate your life? I highly doubt that but okay

SSRI is your friendly anti-depressant.

Yes it feels like that in the start but then gets better. AI helped a lot for me.

I have 10+ yrs personal experience with depression, so pls don't compare with me. I'm not saying it's your fault, but I know how to deal with depressive symptoms, not to let them "take control".

About thyroid I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by saucerking View Post
    If 5-HTP is one of those "mood increaser" pills, it doesn't work on me. I've tried supplements that supposedly make you happy or increase mood. Doesn't do jack for me

You should take it on a empty stomach, and wait at least 30 min. before eating anything. I've tried it and made me feel like total crap.

SSRI is your friendly anti-depressant.

Yes it feels like that in the start but then gets better. AI helped a lot for me.

I have 10+ yrs personal experience with depression, so pls don't compare with me. I'm not saying it's your fault, but I know how to deal with depressive symptoms, not to let them "take control".

About thyroid I was just curious.

You should take it on a empty stomach, and wait at least 30 min. before eating anything. I've tried it and made me feel like total crap.
    Yes but I've been taking an AI. Doesn't seem to help much. I don't know.

And I've taken it numerous times on a empty stomach. Doesn't do anything.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    while these words be just like a drop in a sea, I dont know why I am even sharing this, but I'll do it anyway, with aim it will help someone, it certainly helped me, and I was at the bottom of it.

Why one gets depressed to begin with? malnutrition, chain-reaction of bad habits and other, be it lifestyle, a relationship, poor education and bad structure of self-believe.

A way out of depression you ask? find yourself useful and find ways help others you know who know no better and you could mean a little or a world of difference to them, doesnt matter the magnitude of impact, what matters - is the impact and repeating it. To give help you need to hear if they would want your help and let them understand that youre more than willing to help, and I mean express it in person, go and offer your help to others who you feel may or may not want it but you find yourself appropriate, and if you need to educate yourself on certain subject to be of a help to others - do so, become valuable in some things, little things, big things, great things, and by helping others you will help yourself, unconsciously.

Good luck fellow!

Oh a great tip: introduce good amounts of fermented veggies and kefir milk with each of your meals, majority of serotonin is made in your gut, and by naturally loading yourself with great amounts of serotonin you will feel difference rather quick, plus you will heal/improve your health greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    Oh a great tip: introduce good amounts of fermented veggies and kefir milk with each of your meals, majority of serotonin is made in your gut, and by naturally loading yourself with great amounts of serotonin you will feel difference rather quick, plus you will heal/improve your health greatly.
    5-HT in the gut acts in a paracrine fashion; it doesn't affect serotonergic transmission in the CNS. What's true however is how gut health is linked to well-being via vagus nerve interaction with the Brain.

Thread Information