bigwillster is offline Associate Member

Is Propecia covered by HMO's?

I'm gonna be going on a Sust, eq, and winny cycle pretty soon.
    I plan on using for hair loss Saw Palmetto, Nioxin Shampoo, and some propecia. Do you guys know if my HMO will cover the Propecia? I'd appreciate any suggestions as well. Thanks bros

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    No it won't for hair loss, will if you have an enlarged prostate that can be documented.

Propecia is a 1mg tablet taken once a day. It is made of Finestride. There is also a 5mg pill made called proscar. The 1mg is for hair loss, the 5mg is for prostate problems. It is much cheaper to buy the 5mg proscar and divide the pill into 4 (too small to divide into 5 pieces) than buying the 1mg propecia. Looking to get it without going to the doctor, check out wwww.net-dr.com

Hope that helps.

Thanks Scott. I guess I will have the doc examine my prostate.

sp9
    If he is going in for the prostate you might as well have him check out the entire colon. You can watch on the TV.

These are exams that suck, I hate getting older because they become unavoidable! :depressed

Why do you prescribe Proscar more than Propecia?

The monthly cost for taking Propecia (1 mg Finasteride tablet per day) is approximately $60. By dividing Proscar tablets into quarters with a pill cutter and taking 1/4 of a Proscar tablet per day, your monthly cost (if you purchase your Proscar from us) is $22.50, a savings of 62%. Although it is more difficult to divide a Proscar tablet into 5 pieces (as opposed to 4), many patients choose to do so and save even more: by cutting the pill into fifths, patients save 70% over Propecia by spending only $18 a month. For those who don't care to save 70% by dividing Proscar tablets, our physicians will gladly prescribe 3 months of Propecia if your medical history suggests you will benefit from Finasteride therapy. This is an example of what we call patient empowerment: fostering a partnership with your physician in the decision process which allows you to take an increased and active role in your own plan of care.

Originally posted by scottp999
    If he is going in for the prostate you might as well have him check out the entire colon. You can watch on the TV.

These are exams that suck, I hate getting older because they become unavoidable! :depressed

Why do you prescribe Proscar more than Propecia?

The monthly cost for taking Propecia (1 mg Finasteride tablet per day) is approximately $60. By dividing Proscar tablets into quarters with a pill cutter and taking 1/4 of a Proscar tablet per day, your monthly cost (if you purchase your Proscar from us) is $22.50, a savings of 62%. Although it is more difficult to divide a Proscar tablet into 5 pieces (as opposed to 4), many patients choose to do so and save even more: by cutting the pill into fifths, patients save 70% over Propecia by spending only $18 a month. For those who don't care to save 70% by dividing Proscar tablets, our physicians will gladly prescribe 3 months of Propecia if your medical history suggests you will benefit from Finasteride therapy. This is an example of what we call patient empowerment: fostering a partnership with your physician in the decision process which allows you to take an increased and active role in your own plan of care.
    Great info Scott. Thanks again for your help. bigwillster

big j23 is offline New Member
    i need something that will grow my hairline or make it thick if thats possible. can someone recommend anything good. thanks

sp9
    Don't a lot of us want that? Nothing out right now that will do the front. Best thing out now is Proscar/Propecia (finestride)and you should start taking it if you show any loss because it generally will keep what you have. There is a new product that was approved in Novemeber by the FDA called dutasteride by Glaxo/Smith/Kline. Just like finestride it was approved first for use for prostate problems, it is going through the last stage of clinical trials for hair but it blocks an addtional type of DHT and shows that it will be much more efective than finestride. They should start making it available for perscription by June. Look for it.

Check out http://www.thebaldtruth.com/products/dutasteride.htm

to see some results and talk to a doctor.

androplex is offline Donating Member
    I have been taking Propecia for about 6 years or so now. I buy the 90 day supply for around $150.00. Sometimes a $20.00 rebate comes with the 90 day order. My HMO does not pay for it but its worth paying myself. My hair loss stopped altogether and some, and I say some hair growth came back. As a part time model and actor this was a great find. Good luck mang. Did not know about the Proscar, will need to check this out.

neubin is offline Junior Member
    Must suck living in the US sometimes. I went to my dr today and he gave me proscar, ended up costing me $13 CDN for a 4 month supply...wow...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by androplex
    I have been taking Propecia for about 6 years or so now. I buy the 90 day supply for around $150.00. Sometimes a $20.00 rebate comes with the 90 day order. My HMO does not pay for it but its worth paying myself. My hair loss stopped altogether and some, and I say some hair growth came back. As a part time model and actor this was a great find. Good luck mang. Did not know about the Proscar, will need to check this out.

Thread Information