Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By numbere
  • 1 Post By WyleECoyote

Thread: Blood donating

Couchlock is offline Banned

Blood donating

So I'm going to donate blood.

Is there a difference from donating plasma, at a plasma center and getting paid, or going to a blood bank and donating full blood or double rbc?

I have high end i think, I'm going for bloodwork monday, either way I want to lower my rbc.

What is best route, full blood, double rbc donation, or plasma donation?

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    So I'm going to donate blood.

Is there a difference from donating plasma, at a plasma center and getting paid, or going to a blood bank and donating full blood or double rbc?

I have high end i think, I'm going for bloodwork monday, either way I want to lower my rbc.

What is best route, full blood, double rbc donation, or plasma donation
    plasma holds your hormones - id do doubleRBC(based on bw but a double should be gtg) - your platelets are returned through this donation!
    Last edited by NACH3; 11-19-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: My mistake - platelets get returned in a doubleRBC

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    If you have high blood counts then you need to lose the platelets.

Donating only plasma may increase your RBC.

As NACH advised a Power Red is your best option.

If your counts are high and a Power Red is not an option then you need a whole blood donation or self phlebotomy.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I like whole only so far - less time & less of a pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    If you have high blood counts then you need to lose the platelets.

Donating only plasma may increase your RBC.

As NACH advised a Power Red is your best option.

If your counts are high and a Power Red is not an option then you need a whole blood donation or self phlebotomy.
    A power red is the same as a double red cell donation?

They return platelets and plasma minus the red blood cells, so that's should take my RBC lower?

As far as a self phlebotomy how much what I hypothetically need to remove if I were to do this myself?

A power red is the same as a double red cell donation?

They return platelets and plasma minus the red blood cells, so that's should take my RBC lower?

As far as a self phlebotomy how much what I hypothetically need to remove if I were to do this myself?
    Yes a Power Red blood donation is the proper term for a double red cell donation.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying in my previous post.

When you donate plasma the plasma is separated from the from the other parts of your blood, then those parts are returned to you minus the plasma.

This procedure does little to reduce you RBC.

When your blood counts are high you need to lose platelets not plasma.

I usually draw 1-1½ pints when doing a self phlebotomy.

Bass has a great thread on this procedure.

The only thing I would add would be to take 400-600mg of aspirin an hour or so beforehand.

Self Bleeding!
    NACH3 likes this.

Yes a Power Red blood donation is the proper term for a double red cell donation.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying in my previous post.

When you donate plasma the plasma is separated from the from the other parts of your blood, then those parts are returned to you minus the plasma.

This procedure does little to reduce you RBC.

When your blood counts are high you need to lose platelets not plasma.

I usually draw 1-1½ pints when doing a self phlebotomy.

Bass has a great thread on this procedure.

The only thing I would add would be to take 400-600mg of aspirin an hour or so beforehand.

Self Bleeding!
    So a power red is good to go even though they return platelets and plasma?

Wouldn't red cells and platelets staying out be better, like is them returning the platelets not ideal?

So a power red is good to go even though they return platelets and plasma?

Wouldn't red cells and platelets staying out be better, like is them returning the platelets not ideal?
    I think I confused you in my previous post by using platelets when I should have used red blood cells.

You should do a search for "power red blood donation" and another for "blood plasma donation" and research the difference.

When you do a Power Red donation they take your red blood cells and return your plasma.

When you do a blood plasma donation they take your plasma and return your red blood cells.
    Last edited by numbere; 11-19-2016 at 08:26 PM.

I think I confused you in my previous post by using platelets when I should have used red blood cells.

You should do a search for "power red blood donation" and another for "blood plasma donation" and research the difference.

When you do a Power Red donation they take your red blood cells and return your plasma.

When you do a blood plasma donation they take your plasma and return your red blood cells.
    Got it.

I did research on red cross page, the also say platlets, red cells, and plasma.

Its were I was confused.

Thx

jwh7699 is offline Member
    You basically are trying to lower your Hematocrit level. In the past my level was 51. It is now 43 and I haven't given blood in several months. Still give blood it won't hurt you.

I lowered my Hematocrit by doing Test injections everyday. I was injecting 80mg 2 x a week. I am now injecting 12mg everyday.

I had my Total Test and Free Test run on Tuesday. As soon as I get the results I'll post them here to verify it's kept my levels consistent.

I've done blood letting before, it's not as easy as it looks.

Blood Donation Types | Whole Blood, Plasma, Autologous | American Red Cross

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7699 View Post
    I've done blood letting before, it's not as easy as it looks.

Truth

Same here - I did it at home for about a year. But, now that I do it Red Cross it's way better

No line - since I make my appointment online
    And when they pull it, it's so much faster - They have a much better set up, that is all

WyleECoyote is offline New Member
    Hey, I know the forum pros have already weighed in but being in the medical field I may actually be able to help out too...

First, just re-affirming the above posts in that if you want to lower your hemoglobin (Hgb) or hematocrit (Hct) then you'll want to donate either whole blood or red cells (Power red). Power red they take your blood out, spin it down to harvest the RBCs and put the rest (platelets, immune cells, hormones,etc.) back in you. Donating platelets or plasma, while needed at donation centers, will not do much to lower your Hgb/Hct and may even initially hemoconcentrate you raising those levels slightly.

Secondly, you asked how much to lose. Lots of formulas out there and some may be more accurate but we like ones that are pretty close and quick to use. Here's one tweaked for what you want, therapeutic blood loss. ONLY WORKS FOR WHOLE BLOOD LOSS.

[(Current Hct - Desired Hct) / Current Hct] x Total blood volume = Amount of blood you want to lose
    Total blood volume is ~75ml/kg for a fit male.

Example: 80kg fit guy got his lab work back with Hct of 55 and wants to be down to 50 Hct.
    [(55 - 50) / 55] x (80kg x 75ml/kg) = 545ml he would need to lose of whole blood to get his hematocrit where he wants. Again, this is an estimate.
    numbere likes this.

An Alternative I tried for Lowering HCT:

I read on-line that one way to keep your HCT down was with daily injections.

So I proceeded to inject 28mcg of Test Cyp (10/25) for 21 days until I had the blood work run, which is 196mcg per week.

I also injected 250mg of HCG and .25mcg of Arimidex 2 x a week.

On blood draw day I had my blood drawn in the morning prior to my Daily Test injections.

I had my HCT run after 21 days and it was 43.1.

My Total Test: 589 348 -1197

Free Test:25.9 6.8 -21.5

Estradiol - Sensitive 50.7 8.0 - 35.0

So Daily injections did bring my HCT down. But when I was doing 2 x weekly of Test Cyp (160mcg), My total Test would be in the High 800's , Free Test about the same, and my E2 would be about 30 (with 2 x weekly of Arimidex)

I'm thinking I probably will have to go back to 2 x a Week Injections and try to keep my HCT lowered with blood donations.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Bear in mind that if your crit is too high they won't accept your blood and depending upon where you go it can get you kind of black listed with a possible disorder. If you hydrate really well you can lower your crit a little for the labs, but they check with a finger stick at Red Cross prior.
    I do not know Red Cross policy, but went initially to a different blood donation organization when Hct was elevated a lot, and I can't donate there now.
    I have had to have clinical phlebotomies due to a familial condition that involves making too many RBCs even without AAS, and it is really expensive and requires an rx.
    Do you know what your Hct is?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    Bear in mind that if your crit is too high they won't accept your blood and depending upon where you go it can get you kind of black listed with a possible disorder. If you hydrate really well you can lower your crit a little for the labs, but they check with a finger stick at Red Cross prior.
    I do not know Red Cross policy, but went initially to a different blood donation organization when Hct was elevated a lot, and I can't donate there now.
    I have had to have clinical phlebotomies due to a familial condition that involves making too many RBCs even without AAS, and it is really expensive and requires an rx.
    No no bloods

TRA
    No no bloods
    Re read original - so labs on Monday? Be good to get those levels, as you know.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Factor V Leiden and polycythemia here.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

If you get denied because your Hct is too High you can come back with a Phlebotomy Script from your Doctor and they will do it. Take it out and dump it. There may be a small fee at the blood center for getting it done there.

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Factor V Leiden and polycythemia here.
    Mind a pm?

Re read original - so labs on Monday? Be good to get those levels, as you know.
    Been taking care of my dad, had orbitals partially removed to make room for swelling of eyes due to graves disease

They are running doses of rituxin chemo on him. Very fuvked up.

He goes in 5 days to get thyroid out
    Last edited by Couchlock; 11-23-2016 at 08:07 PM.

TRA
    Been taking care of my dad, had orbitals partially removed to make room for swelling of eyes due to graves disease

They are running doses of rituxin chemo on him. Very fuvked up.

He goes in 5 days to get thyroid out
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hope he does well. He will do much better with thyroid out, be able to close his eyes again, good stuff. Sending positive energy your way, bro.

Thread Information