Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By canadian77
  • 1 Post By Nogbad the bad
  • 1 Post By Capebuffalo

Thread: stinging while pinning

Jonbana is offline Member

stinging while pinning

Has anyone ever had this seems 2 out of 3 pins sting like a motha fucker ,

this only happens when I pin quads it will sting like a bitch all the way in doesn't hurt just stings... I thought maybe the alcohol prep pad still wet on the skin? but why wouldn't my gluts sting than

canadian77 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    Has anyone ever had this seems 2 out of 3 pins sting like a motha fucker ,

this only happens when I pin quads it will sting like a bitch all the way in doesn't hurt just stings... I thought maybe the alcohol prep pad still wet on the skin? but why wouldn't my gluts sting than
    More cutaneous nerve fibers in your quads and tiny capillaries. Just a more sensitive area in general.

Least painful and most safest places to pin are glutes and deltoids but you end up running out of injection sites eventually.
    Jonbana likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian77 View Post
    More cutaneous nerve fibers in your quads and tiny capillaries. Just a more sensitive area in general.

Least painful and most safest places to pin are glutes and deltoids but you end up running out of injection sites eventually.

interesting , so your saying the burning / stinging is just because of the area ? never knew that didn't have a problem before I pin them once a week so one side every other week

thanks I thought maybe it was the new prep pads being different or something got them from my local needle exchange

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member

I agree. And also when you press the plunger to get the air out and some of the oil runs down the needle, the benzyl alcohol can cause stinging. Most instances I don't have a problem. But every once in a while I'll get one that is super painful from the burning/stinging sensation. Most times it's from the alcohol still being wet on the skin, other times the benzyl alcohol. I only pun delta and tris daily, so this phenomenon happens everywhere.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have the same thing happening I found that certain type of pads hold more alcohol in them than others. I noticed my skin will stay wet with certain ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    interesting , so your saying the burning / stinging is just because of the area ? never knew that didn't have a problem before I pin them once a week so one side every other week

thanks I thought maybe it was the new prep pads being different or something got them from my local needle exchange
    Could be the prep pads but I'm not a mind reader or a psychic so I am only going by what I know

I am a nurse, so I give injections regularly and the quads are one of the areas we need to be more careful due to the abundance of blood vessels and nerves. The whole "fast in" technique that people are taught for self quad injections is actually dangerous because you can sever a nerve. I know because it happened to me and part of my leg is permanently numb now on the skin surface.

Even though it's more painful, slow and steady is better for the quads! Deltoids who cares.... just nail it.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Mine sometimes sting,but i don't care....because i am TOTALLY ROCK!
    Sh0tsf1red likes this.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    I have to agree with most of the above on the alcohol prep not having evaporated completely.
    PT1982 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    Mine sometimes sting,but i don't care....because i am TOTALLY ROCK!
    Beast mode activated.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Stings in my quads, too. I started using a 27 ga x 1 1/4" which reduced the sting, but have to hold steady to push since it's slower going in the 27 ga. I found by marking injection site (with needle cap, fingernail, etc.) while standing and flexing, then sitting relaxed and pinning spot it is less painful. I also get some mild PIP in quads that I don't in gluts. Agree with comments on abundance of cutaneous nerves/nerves.

Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    I agree with a few above posts about the alcohol not bring dry

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    Stings in my quads, too. I started using a 27 ga x 1 1/4" which reduced the sting, but have to hold steady to push since it's slower going in the 27 ga. I found by marking injection site (with needle cap, fingernail, etc.) while standing and flexing, then sitting relaxed and pinning spot it is less painful. I also get some mild PIP in quads that I don't in gluts. Agree with comments on abundance of cutaneous nerves/nerves.
    I used 27 in my quads when I used to pin them as well. Be careful using a long 27g in the quads, as nerves can more easily be hit and a sudden jerk can snap a long 27g. Take my word on that one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    I agree. And also when you press the plunger to get the air out and some of the oil runs down the needle, the benzyl alcohol can cause stinging. Most instances I don't have a problem. But every once in a while I'll get one that is super painful from the burning/stinging sensation. Most times it's from the alcohol still being wet on the skin, other times the benzyl alcohol. I only pun delta and tris daily, so this phenomenon happens everywhere.
    so your saying with I push the air out of the needle and some test runs onto the needle that can cause the burning / stinging and maybe I should shake it off ? I use it as lube maybe that could be the problem ?

Could be the prep pads but I'm not a mind reader or a psychic so I am only going by what I know

I am a nurse, so I give injections regularly and the quads are one of the areas we need to be more careful due to the abundance of blood vessels and nerves. The whole "fast in" technique that people are taught for self quad injections is actually dangerous because you can sever a nerve. I know because it happened to me and part of my leg is permanently numb now on the skin surface.

Even though it's more painful, slow and steady is better for the quads! Deltoids who cares.... just nail it.
    Yes I also go slow and steady I don't dart it like most do , once in a while I think I do pass a nerv as my leg will start flexing and twitching ? but I just keep going and it stops

Thread Information