BigGuz is offline New Member

Training Question for you guys.

I have just come off a sus/fina/winny cycle and i put on about 25 pounds which i am totally pleased with. My training split used to be Chest/Bis, Back/Traps, Shoulders/Tris, and Legs. After I have comepleted my clomid i am going to cycle a little bit of clen and hopefully maintain most of my size. I want to switch up my program a bit. Does this look good to you guys.
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    Shoulders/Traps
    Legs
    I am trying to break out of this stale routine and just wanted to try something new. Let me know what you think.
    Thanx guys

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Is that the order you plan on performing this split throughout the week? I personally wouldn't be a big fan of putting shoulders only two workouts after chest and tris. Nor could i get a great trap workout right on the heals of back. If I were you, I'd consider injecting that leg workout somewhere in the middle to further separate the upper body workouts.

This, of course, brings me to my bigger point. While I'm by no means the most qualified to give training advice on this board, I feel as though I've done a very solid job of getting a grip on the training principles that brought me from a 168-ish pound high school graduate to a 260-ish pound college graduate. That pat on the back complete (hahah), I don't understand why so many trainers are content to split their upper body into three or four separate workouts (you have three) and then dedicate ONE sole workout to their lower body. Each comprises roughly the same muscle (loosely speaking) yet you dedicate 75% of your training to only 1/2 of your body, and (obviously) 25% to the other half...that's bound to cause problems. I don't care how hard you think you train, it's impossible to do the entirety of your lower body justice in one training session.

This becomes especially important when you actually start training legs hard, as I eventually did after a few years of extensions and lying ham curls) and realize SwoleCat isn't talking out of his ass when he says the legs are the teacher and the upper body the student. Your upper body will most certainly NEVER reach its potential if you don't HAMMER the legs....something that can't be done when your workout split dedicates one workout to the amorphous "legs". Again, this is just my advice, take it for what it's worth.

gundam675 is offline Senior Member
    its not that bad, i would do, shoulders on chest day !

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Is that the order you plan on performing this split throughout the week? I personally wouldn't be a big fan of putting shoulders only two workouts after chest and tris. Nor could i get a great trap workout right on the heals of back. If I were you, I'd consider injecting that leg workout somewhere in the middle to further separate the upper body workouts.

This, of course, brings me to my bigger point. While I'm by no means the most qualified to give training advice on this board, I feel as though I've done a very solid job of getting a grip on the training principles that brought me from a 168-ish pound high school graduate to a 260-ish pound college graduate. That pat on the back complete (hahah), I don't understand why so many trainers are content to split their upper body into three or four separate workouts (you have three) and then dedicate ONE sole workout to their lower body. Each comprises roughly the same muscle (loosely speaking) yet you dedicate 75% of your training to only 1/2 of your body, and (obviously) 25% to the other half...that's bound to cause problems. I don't care how hard you think you train, it's impossible to do the entirety of your lower body justice in one training session.

This becomes especially important when you actually start training legs hard, as I eventually did after a few years of extensions and lying ham curls) and realize SwoleCat isn't talking out of his ass when he says the legs are the teacher and the upper body the student. Your upper body will most certainly NEVER reach its potential if you don't HAMMER the legs....something that can't be done when your workout split dedicates one workout to the amorphous "legs". Again, this is just my advice, take it for what it's worth.

I appreciate the feedback Big Green. The thing is I only have four days a week to train so what i was planning on was doing this.
    Monday-Chest/Tris
    Wed.-Back/Bis
    Fri.-Shoulders/Traps
    Sat.-Legs
    Tell me what you would suggest to maximize my gains. Thanks for the help bro

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuz
    Tell me what you would suggest to maximize my gains. Thanks for the help bro
    I think I would structure it as follows for a little bit. Anyone familiar with my approach to training (by no means an original one) is aware that I advocate a very frequent total overhaul of the routine. I hestitate to stay not only on one training split for more than two months, but don't like to stay on one training style for more than 1/4 of a year at a time...often oscillating between traditional bodybuilding routines, strength routines, powerlifting routines, etc, etc.

Anyway, with what you currently have, my suggestion would be to switch it up as follows:

Monday: Chest/Triceps/Hamstrings
    Tuesday: OFF
    Wednesday: Back/Biceps/Calves
    Thursday: OFF
    Friday: Delts/Traps
    Saturday: Quads/Core work (lower back and abs)

Tacking a little something onto chest and back day (hams and calves respectably) may not seem all that appealing, but it's certainly doable and certainly would keep you under an hour of training. With triceps being hit in virtually every chest exercise save for flies, I don't think most trainers should spend more than 15 minutes on tris when coupled with chest. Hams as well, can be done quickly yet effectively. And by working hams i mean the real hamstring exercise....namely glute ham raises, which have worked wonders for me. If you don't have an extension machine that allows you to do true glute ham raises, an effective substiute is to use the lat pulldown machine. Just kneel on it facing away from the stack (assuming it's a traditional lat pulldown) and tuck your heels under the pad that would normally hold your knees in place. KILLER exercise, and if you can do more than five strict ones with your bodyweight you have some strong hams. I believe Schwarzenegger used to claim that the best way to get through a sticking point in overall growth was to attack the hams....well, this is the way to start...after three sets of these done all out, stiff leg deads rip the hams apart, as they're already primed for a pump.

You might also argue justifiably against the idea of only having one day off after quads (where I assume you're hitting squats hard) before going after hams again. If it becomes a big issue with you, just switch up calves and hams. Personally, I wouldn't like to have my hams at all "smarting" going into a quad day, but some can deal with it. On the other hand, I seem to work up a better pump in my hamstrings if it hasn't been too long after a deep squat session. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of breaking the lower body up just as you would the upper...it's often said that the easiest way for a trainer to either add ten pounds naturally or even add an inch to his arms is to strart working legs in a more sensible manner, and I've found that to be very, very true. My chest had literally stagnated until I finally sucked it up and started squatting regularly....everything took off from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I think I would structure it as follows for a little bit. Anyone familiar with my approach to training (by no means an original one) is aware that I advocate a very frequent total overhaul of the routine. I hestitate to stay not only on one training split for more than two months, but don't like to stay on one training style for more than 1/4 of a year at a time...often oscillating between traditional bodybuilding routines, strength routines, powerlifting routines, etc, etc.

Anyway, with what you currently have, my suggestion would be to switch it up as follows:

Monday: Chest/Triceps/Hamstrings
    Tuesday: OFF
    Wednesday: Back/Biceps/Calves
    Thursday: OFF
    Friday: Delts/Traps
    Saturday: Quads/Core work (lower back and abs)

Tacking a little something onto chest and back day (hams and calves respectably) may not seem all that appealing, but it's certainly doable and certainly would keep you under an hour of training. With triceps being hit in virtually every chest exercise save for flies, I don't think most trainers should spend more than 15 minutes on tris when coupled with chest. Hams as well, can be done quickly yet effectively. And by working hams i mean the real hamstring exercise....namely glute ham raises, which have worked wonders for me. If you don't have an extension machine that allows you to do true glute ham raises, an effective substiute is to use the lat pulldown machine. Just kneel on it facing away from the stack (assuming it's a traditional lat pulldown) and tuck your heels under the pad that would normally hold your knees in place. KILLER exercise, and if you can do more than five strict ones with your bodyweight you have some strong hams. I believe Schwarzenegger used to claim that the best way to get through a sticking point in overall growth was to attack the hams....well, this is the way to start...after three sets of these done all out, stiff leg deads rip the hams apart, as they're already primed for a pump.

You might also argue justifiably against the idea of only having one day off after quads (where I assume you're hitting squats hard) before going after hams again. If it becomes a big issue with you, just switch up calves and hams. Personally, I wouldn't like to have my hams at all "smarting" going into a quad day, but some can deal with it. On the other hand, I seem to work up a better pump in my hamstrings if it hasn't been too long after a deep squat session. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of breaking the lower body up just as you would the upper...it's often said that the easiest way for a trainer to either add ten pounds naturally or even add an inch to his arms is to strart working legs in a more sensible manner, and I've found that to be very, very true. My chest had literally stagnated until I finally sucked it up and started squatting regularly....everything took off from there.

Thanks for the detailed answers bro. I appreciate you taking the time to give me hand. I think I will try this approach for a little bit

Thread Information