Thread: Cloudy Fina?

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet

Cloudy Fina?

This is not my 1st batch of fina.. more like my 6th or 7th

Anyway this time the shit turn out all cloudy... I know it doesn't effect the results, but WTF

I ran it through the coffee filter and 2 whatman filters and it was clear for about 10mins both times and then turned all cloudy again...

Is there any trick I don't know for making this golden clear again?

I heated it briefly to help the pellets dissolve before I started any of the filtering... same as before, but this has never happened before.. Always ended up perfect before...

Any thoughts?

Whoisdaman is offline Senior Member
    No reason to worry about it... it happens.

Your fina is perfectly fine.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Buff,

I guess the only thing you could do is refilter (syringe filter) it into another sterile vial.
    That should clear it up.

xxxl83

Quote Originally Posted by xxxl83
    Buff,

I guess the only thing you could do is refilter (syringe filter) it into another sterile vial.
    That should clear it up.

xxxl83
    Why would he have to do that? Not only is it normal to have cloudy fina, but in his post above it says he did use a whatman filter (syringe filter) 2 times already... that and the coffee filter probably makes some VERY sterile fina. No reason to worry, end of discussion.

chris1tr69 is offline Banned
    yea ive made a few it happpens like that sometimes

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Whoisdaman,

You're right cloudy fina is fine. He doesn't have to do anything, however if he wants to make it clear whether he needs to or not refiltering will do the trick.

Also filtering DOES NOT make your fina sterile. The BA does, Filtering just gets out particles larger than the size of the filter, which doesn't mean the solution is sterile.

end of discussion.

xxxl83

Quote Originally Posted by xxxl83
    Whoisdaman,

You're right cloudy fina is fine. He doesn't have to do anything, however if he wants to make it clear whether he needs to or not refiltering will do the trick.

Also filtering DOES NOT make your fina sterile. The BA does, Filtering just gets out particles larger than the size of the filter, which doesn't mean the solution is sterile.

end of discussion.

xxxl83
    I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way... you sound a little hostile now. True, BA does make it sterile, although I was refering to the particles. Refiltering won't make it less cloudy (as he found out since he did refilter it 2 times already). Cloudy fina is usually brought on my the baking process, which I am guessing when the pellets were heated the same effect is brought on... no harm, no foul.

End of discussion

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I know the fina being cloudy is not a problem... I just wanted some opinions on what would make it cloudy... I've made enough batches the same way in the past and it always turns out clear... Then this time it looks like shit even after 2 passes through a whatman...

Could it just be condensation with it being summer and 90 plus degrees?

No big deal, just wanted to know what you bros thought... I'm shooting the shit nomatter what

Thread Information