Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzan
  • 3 Post By Obs
  • 2 Post By Quester

Thread: AAS good/bad for herniated disc?

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member

AAS good/bad for herniated disc?

Been fighting a herniated disk in my lower back. I know that by making you stronger, aas can inadvertently cause you to make it worse. But other than that, could it help, or hurt it?

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Do not screw around with this. Forget AAS, you have nerves that go down your spine. If you damage these you may be wearing diapers the rest of your life.
    Once they determined that I had a problem with a disk, the Dr. could not operate soon enough.
    I would be careful just working out. Dr. Stuart McGill has some books out on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    Been fighting a herniated disk in my lower back. I know that by making you stronger, aas can inadvertently cause you to make it worse. But other than that, could it help, or hurt it?
    Herniated disk can be handled non surgically as long as you do okay and are able to get back to a reasonable baseline of low pain, providing there are no symptoms of weakness or loss of sensation in lower extremities.
    There are some good reads on testosterone and healing (I think if I recall correctly higher dose test is not great for collagen deposition in the healing process), and deca as well, in terms of collagen synthesis, etc. However, this would probably only pertain to areas surrounding the disk region in the musculature, etc., and not involved in the disk healing itself (which it won't).

If you can get to a decent baseline (no pain or spasm) IMHO you could find a PM&R doc who could help you design a program for lifting that did not impact the area. Might mean forgoing certain movements (dead lift, heavy squats, etc.).

Would avoid tren , winny for sure.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    How have you been lifting? Are you lifting too much weight due to AAS and losing your technique? Might want to look at these stickies. http://forums.steroid.com/injuries-rehab/

I injured my back st work, not lifting. I've been trying to work through it, but I guess I should take a break for awhile. I have had trouble with this off and on for over twenty years. Very frustrated

A bad back is tough. I work in front of a computer and guys around here call Worker's Comp for a paper cut, wimps. My back's a genetic condition. My brother's already gotten two back surgeries. I understand that once you have back surgery, there's a high likelihood that you'll get a second. I would try physical therapy, Pilates, yoga, or whatever you have to before you get under a knife. If all else fails, you got to get back pain under control or life becomes miserable. Good luck bro.

Thanks man. Yea, I think mine is genetic also, my dad has had the same thing all his life. Funny how we can go years with no problems, then all of the sudden something minor, like picking up a empty gas can put me in the bed for a week. They generally take months, but I have always recovered in the past, and so has my dad. I know what I gotta do, but it really sucks I gotta take s break from them gym, I just got back in good shape. Will be really hard for me to keep diet in check, since I can't workout, but gonna do my best. Maybe after a couple weeks I can start some light cardio, and maybe some light lifting. I think I'll be ok doing things that don't put a strain on back, like preacher curls on machines, light bench and such

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    A bad back is tough. I work in front of a computer and guys around here call Worker's Comp for a paper cut, wimps. My back's a genetic condition. My brother's already gotten two back surgeries. I understand that once you have back surgery, there's a high likelihood that you'll get a second. I would try physical therapy, Pilates, yoga, or whatever you have to before you get under a knife. If all else fails, you got to get back pain under control or life becomes miserable. Good luck bro.
    Scotch It all depends. Once I was diagnosed they couldn’t get me in fast enough to operate. The herniated disk can cause damage to the nerves. My case the hole that the nerves went down was almost closed. Also, the removal of my disk was the best thing that happened to me. Yes, I did need to learn to walk again but it was well worth it. Other than the scar tissue on my lower back, you would never know that I had the operation.

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Scotch It all depends. Once I was diagnosed they couldn’t get me in fast enough to operate. The herniated disk can cause damage to the nerves. My case the hole that the nerves went down was almost closed. Also, the removal of my disk was the best thing that happened to me. Yes, I did need to learn to walk again but it was well worth it. Other than the scar tissue on my lower back, you would never know that I had the operation.

Every situation is different. Some people don't have good outcomes from surgery, and there is only an 85% chance that it will relieve the pain initially. You had a good outcome so that's good. But surgery should be the last stop on the block unless certain criteria are present, like it sounds like you had.
    PM&R docs can guide you and have the background in musculoskeletal medicine that other "pain" doctors (anesthesiologists doing pain medicine) don't have. I agree with PT and other ancillaries, in addition to avoiding aggravating movements and events.

Definitely want to try and avoid surgery. Do you guys think taking pain meds help. I use to think no, because it's masking the pain, not helping it heal. But I have been wondering lately if they could help it heal by allowing the muscles around it to relax a little

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Definitely want to try and avoid surgery. Do you guys think taking pain meds help. I use to think no, because it's masking the pain, not helping it heal. But I have been wondering lately if they could help it heal by allowing the muscles around it to relax a little
    Try to stay away from pain meds if at all possible and NSAIDs and maybe an oral steroid . I have used Zanaflex (tizanidine) for years due to back issues that comes and go. Walking and stretching do wonders. I also use a tens machine.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    If anything it would help, do to increase collagen synthesis. They main thing is not to reinjury it. Disks herniate all the time and you never know it, it’s only a problem if the disc herniate onto a nerve or other sensitive structure. Someone above mentioned Dr. Stuart McGills book. He does have some very helpful stuff.

Did you have an MRI of the back?
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

I had a MRI in the past, confirming herniated disk. My chiropractor did a few test and seems to think it is a herniated disk this time also. He told me the same, if anything ASS will help. I'll have to check out that book
    MuscleScience likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I had a MRI in the past, confirming herniated disk. My chiropractor did a few test and seems to think it is a herniated disk this time also. He told me the same, if anything ASS will help. I'll have to check out that book
    Oh fuck yeah! Some good ol ASS will cure anything! You gotta throw that dick! Something is bound to jar into place!
    Attachment 170844

This will get you by until you learn advanced positions such as the L-4 lumbar reverse cowgirl twist.
    Last edited by Obs; 11-02-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    guitarzan, David LoPan and Quester like this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Oh fuck yeah! Some good ol ASS will cure anything! You gotta throw that dick! Something is bound to jar into place!
    Attachment 170844

This will get you by until you learn advanced positions such as the L-4 lumbar reverse cowgirl twist.
    Response of the month!
    David LoPan and Obs like this.

shadowdragon is offline Junior Member
    What about if you have lower back pain from constant inflammation/tightness that won't go away?

TRA
    Taking pain meds will help the pain, it won't do anything for healing. Narcotics act on the central nervous system to knock down the pain signal and that's about it. However, they can alleviate severe pain and help with sleep when needed, which can help reduce the risk of developing fibromyalgia. But they are addictive and it's a vicious cycle once physically and/or psychologically dependent on them.
    Huge fan of Physical Therapy and maybe an interferential unit (like a TENS unit but deeper and actually can be effective). Dry needling from a PT is worth a shot with an acute flare up.

cradke11 is offline New Member
    I have a herniated disc (L5-S1) and then l4 l3 and l2 are all bulging from an injury at work. I currently am running prop tren a and var. I do however STRETCH ALOT. Every morning I stretch my lower body focusing on my hip flexors and hamstrings. I like to hang from a pull up bar with my feet lightly touching the ground so I dont put my pelvis in even more of anterior pelvic tilt (i struggle from that as well). U really gotta watch how u sleep at night. pillow in between knees if on your side. pillow underneath knees if on your back. never sleep on your stomach. Try taking some from of tumaric or curcumin as it is a natural anti inflammatory. stay away from heavy squatting and dead lifting. but most importantly your going to need to focus on your core and build that so overtime it will take stress off the lower back. AAS have done nothing to worsen my situation if anything it has helped.

Cheers and good luck

I bought a tens unit, doesn't seem to help much. Never heard of a interferential unit, I'll check it out. Reckon I'm gonna try PT. I have tried doing a lot of stretching, no stretching, and everything in between. I do think how I sleep, mostly on my stomach, has a lot to do with it. I thought about getting some sleeping pills and see if that would help me sleep on my back.

Thread Information