• 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By Nogbad the bad
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Nogbad the bad

Thread: Fasting on a bulk?

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member

Fasting on a bulk?

As i've mentioned,i've just started a bulking cycle.I've increased my calories,and have a 3 kg weight increase after a week.
    I've been reading quite a bit about fasting lately,and it appears to have a very beneficial effect on the body in general.
    Do folks think doing a 24 hour fast once a week while doing this cycle,will have a negative or positive effect?
    I would expect to drop a kilo or two, after a day of abstinence,but i've read that the cleansing/rest effect that fasting
    produces,allows the body to assimilate nutrients far more effectively,thus negating the lack of calories for 24 hours.
    What say you?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Throw them dam mags away before you come up with some more crazy ideas.I have never heard of such a thing.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Terrible plan definitely wasting cycle gains doing this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    there is a reason why 290 pound IFBB pro's have alarm clocks that go off at 1am and 4am in the middle of the night to wake them up to remind them they need to eat again.

Fasting is not the way to get big . If your already at the size that you want to maintain , then yes there are numerous health benefits to occasional fasting , or fasting can be a tool to use when your having digestive issues. but if growth is your number one goal right now then I'd not bother with it

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your body needs food to make muscle.

On that point, your diet is way off if you are gaining 3 kg the first week. Bulking is about gaining muscle mass, but not just gaining weight. Most of that will go right to your bf%. If you are taking long esthers, they haven’t even kicked in yet. When I bulk, I try to maintain 12% bf. It took awhile to get me diet dialed I n.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    As i've mentioned,i've just started a bulking cycle.I've increased my calories,and have a 3 kg weight increase after a week.
    I've been reading quite a bit about fasting lately,and it appears to have a very beneficial effect on the body in general.
    Do folks think doing a 24 hour fast once a week while doing this cycle,will have a negative or positive effect?
    I would expect to drop a kilo or two, after a day of abstinence,but i've read that the cleansing/rest effect that fasting
    produces,allows the body to assimilate nutrients far more effectively,thus negating the lack of calories for 24 hours.
    What say you?
    I do that once a week, when bulking but i will take in some whey protein to stay into positive nitrogen balance. I also intermittent fast completely durning a bulk i fast for 16h and eat for 8h.
    Nogbad the bad and Obs like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I do that once a week, when bulking but i will take in some whey protein to stay into positive nitrogen balance. I also intermittent fast completely durning a bulk i fast for 16h and eat for 8h.
    Lol! I just pm'd him and told him to pm you.
    MuscleScience likes this.

MS can you provide details (or provide references since you have so many) as to how restricting calories assists with the bulking process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    MS can you provide details (or provide references since you have so many) as to how restricting calories assists with the bulking process.
    There was a really good IF paper that just came out recently that showed If not only helps decrease BF extremely, but also improves FFM. Dr Ronda Patrick talks about it in depth.

Here is another one that if you look at the link backs has a lot of good info.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...550719/related
    Obs likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    Oh by the way, if youre looking in the scientific literature. Intermittent fasting is called,”time restricted eating.” You won’t get much with using intermittent fasting in the search bar.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 11-13-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    Obs likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    Oh by the way, if your looking in the scientific literature. Intermittent fasting is called,”time restricted eating.” You won’t get much with using intermittent fasting in the search bar.
    I feel special just for knowing you lol!

There was a really good IF paper that just came out recently that showed If not only helps decrease BF extremely, but also improves FFM. Dr Ronda Patrick talks about it in depth.

I just hope that it is easier to understand than Dr. McGill. I had to have a dictionary handy. LOL
    Thank you foe the references!

Blog Entries
    I just hope that it is easier to understand than Dr. McGill. I had to have a dictionary handy. LOL
    Thank you foe the references!
    I met Dr. McGill at a conference once and picked his brain about some things. Very smart and humble guy.

IF is surprisingly simple, if you look up a book called, “Tribe” by Sebastian Junger. He kinda lays out the roadmap for how and why we evolved to thrive off of IF. It may not be for everyone however but for me and my work and lifestyle. Getting my meals in a certain window really helps stay focused and on track.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    I met Dr. McGill at a conference once and picked his brain about some things. Very smart and humble guy.

IF is surprisingly simple, if you look up a book called, “Tribe” by Sebastian Junger. He kinda lays out the roadmap for how and why we evolved to thrive off of IF. It may not be for everyone however but for me and my work and lifestyle. Getting my meals in a certain window really helps stay focused and on track.
    It actually makes perfect sense from an evolutionary standpoint. A big cat for instance such as a lion or cheetah.
    We are set up to "learn" nutrient extraction in a rapid manner in a fasted state.

From dumbass obs's story:
    My brother and I would bust ass in the log timber for 12-16 hours and come back to home and fix broke shit for four hours.
    His wife would fix dinner and we would fall asleep with our plates in front of us.
    Our bodies would literally shut down on site to focus on the single task of repair, much like a big cat.

Thing of beauty.

Too many write off fasting becausevit goes against basic science. People forget just how fucking dumb we all are.
    Evolution determined our need was necessary to be met and the body adapted to its demands. I haven't read the link but am fixing to.

All previous statements were from the obs random thought directory.

Someday someone will write a thesaurus off my rambling of unfounded scientific facts.

I am old fashioned so I have a tendency to be skeptical. I understood that this fasting was on a daily basis and This seemed to aimed at losing weight and not bulking. Granted some of the benefits can be used during bulking.
    You are respectable due to your knowledge, its just the old man needs to convince himself. I will continue to research.
    MS- you did it again.... You always have me buying books and reading up. Pretty soon you should give me some sort of degree. LOL
    Who says an old dog cant learn new tricks?

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am old fashioned so I have a tendency to be skeptical. I understood that this fasting was on a daily basis and This seemed to aimed at losing weight and not bulking. Granted some of the benefits can be used during bulking.
    You are respectable due to your knowledge, its just the old man needs to convince himself. I will continue to research.
    MS- you did it again.... You always have me buying books and reading up. Pretty soon you should give me some sort of degree. LOL
    I developed that reading problem after discovering podcasts and iBooks. Between Sigma Nutrition Radio, Mark Bell's Powercast and Barbell Shrugged, I'd go broke if I bought everything that is now on my backlog to read.

Blog Entries
    Even upto five years ago i would have been seriously sketptical about If or fasting in general. When I was going through grad school the pervading knowledge was to keep a constant positive nitrogen and glucose balance. Basically eating 6-8 small meals a day.That really had been the idea for years. But in the real world and prepping meals and shit, who has time to both eat, pack and prep all that food? Now that the research is very strong AND it seems to have a lot of other health benefits it’s kinda A no brained to try at the very least. I’m still experimenting with it, but i really like it and how my GI tract feels giving it time to digest what I’ve ate.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    Read slingshot training by Ronnie Rowland.
    It will change the ways you see a lot of stuff.

By the way MS gets royalties off the books he has you buying.

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Throw them dam mags away before you come up with some more crazy ideas.I have never heard of such a thing.
    Aw c'mon now dog,if Columbus had listened to all the flat earth dudes,you wouldn't have a place to call home.,and the bumper
    Christmas edition,of said mag,is going to show me how to build a time machine,propelled by farts...i can't wait!

I'm guessing the main benefits that would come from a short fast while bulking is from the digestive system healing and recuperating during the fast so that it can come back and better digest nutrients after the fast .
    a bit of a one step backwards to take 2 steps forward approach

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    there is a reason why 290 pound IFBB pro's have alarm clocks that go off at 1am and 4am in the middle of the night to wake them up to remind them they need to eat again.

Fasting is not the way to get big . If your already at the size that you want to maintain , then yes there are numerous health benefits to occasional fasting , or fasting can be a tool to use when your having digestive issues. but if growth is your number one goal right now then I'd not bother with it
    Actually,i can imagine interrupting sleep to eat, being less than conducive to good health,although i understand
    why it's done.Thing is,i'm not looking to gain huge size.I'm 6'4'' and weigh around 235 pound.I'll be more than happy with 10 pounds or so,off
    this cycle.I'm looking more for shape and vascularity than pure size.The thing is,if say i don't eat on a Sunday,i can increase my calories on the
    other six days to compensate if necessary,and as i've tried it previously,i know it makes me feel better,and if that's the case,then i believe
    it must be having a positive effect.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Your body needs food to make muscle.

On that point, your diet is way off if you are gaining 3 kg the first week. Bulking is about gaining muscle mass, but not just gaining weight. Most of that will go right to your bf%. If you are taking long esthers, they haven’t even kicked in yet. When I bulk, I try to maintain 12% bf. It took awhile to get me diet dialed I n.
    My diet isn't way off.My metabolism is still fast,and my weight has always fluctuated day to day,often by a couple of kilos.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I'm guessing the main benefits that would come from a short fast while bulking is from the digestive system healing and recuperating during the fast so that it can come back and better digest nutrients after the fast .
    a bit of a one step backwards to take 2 steps forward approach
    That indeed,is how i understand it,and is why i'm going to do it on this cycle.You never learn anything,if you don't try.

I say go for it ,, try a once a week 24 hour fast . overall health is more important then gains for 95% of us.
    I know when I continually bulk my digestion will get bogged down . I usually end up doing a 5 day low carb mini cut (kind of a depletion phase which also resets my. insulin sensitivity as well as de-streses the gut). but maybe occasionally fasting would be similar
    Nogbad the bad likes this.

Obs
    https://youtu.be/B8vnBCYQvCI
    30 second video of me and my brother after eating. You'll notice him panting... He smoked to damn much.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    https://youtu.be/B8vnBCYQvCI
    30 second video of me and my brother after eating. You'll notice him panting... He smoked to damn much.
    Wasn't aware you were a ginger lol! not many barbers would cut your hair.it fucks the scissors.That why you dyed it?
    Obs likes this.

Thread Information