Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Mr.BB
  • 1 Post By ScotchGuard02
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB

Thread: Acne on cycle

Vinnie214 is offline Associate Member

Acne on cycle

hi guys just a quick one

On my first cycle (test+dbol ) I got some heavy acne on my back, shoulders and traps, and I still have the scars from it.

I’m now 8 and a half weeks into my 2nd test and dbol cycle and haven’t got any sort of acne breakout yet? I got it around week 6 on my first, does your body sort of just adapt or something? Or maybe it might happen in a week or two? Was just wondering thanks in advance ( it’s a good thing but I’m curious as usual, I like to know as much I can)

my test dosage is now 500mg per week (increased it from 400)

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Acne is not due to estrogen. Skin oil glands (sebaceous glands) are stimulated by male hormones not estrogens, specially DHT which is the most potent androgen in our body.

The results of hormonal acne, which is the type of acne we get from using steroids , is mainly noticed upon cessation or reduction of the androgens (when you stop the cycle), but the pore blockages start with the androgens influx when cycle begins.
    During cycle you get a lot of blocked pores, this blocked pores (whiteheads or blackheads) can remain like that for weeks and not create a pimple or cyst. It will only create an infection (yes pimples and cysts are localized infections) once there is spillage of the oil and pus to the inside of the skin. This spillage and increased virulence of the P Acnes bacteria is not totally understood, it can be due to various reasons. The theory in hormonal acne is that this increased virulence is a reaction of the bacteria to the reduction in oil production by sebaceous glands.

Well, so how to solve hormonal acne? You need to control the P Acnes bacteria from the start of the cycle, if you are only worried about it when pimple and cysts appear you are already late. Exfoliation, chlorhexidine cleanses and blue light therapy are some treatments that will work during cycle to control it. Yes, tanning beds or sun and salt water will also work to an extent.
    If you are already with cystic acne, the first step is antibiotics (doxycycline or minocycline) which will help with the infections and inflammation, but antibiotics will not treat the blocked pores, and they will continue to produce cysts, you need to also do the exfoliation, etc, to try and remove this blocked pores. Bare in mind this is for cystic acne, you should not take antibiotics if you have a pimple here and there!
    If antibiotics dont work the last resort is accutane, which is a very harsh drug, but for hormonal acne after cycle, it can be very effective in small dosage 10mg EOD (or mon, wed and fri), it will take minimum 6 months of treatment and improvements only after 1-2 months. Please dont cycle while you are still on accutane.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Very informative BB I've been having issues with cystic acne myself so this helps me out.

What do you mean by exfoliation? Like an exfoliating body wash or scrubbing the back or something?

Sorry I’m a little bit confused. Could someone simplify that for me? I know acne is a androgenic side effect but why did I not get it 2nd time around?

usernamewastaken is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Acne is not due to estrogen. Skin oil glands (sebaceous glands) are stimulated by male hormones not estrogens, specially DHT which is the most potent androgen in our body.

The results of hormonal acne, which is the type of acne we get from using steroids , is mainly noticed upon cessation or reduction of the androgens (when you stop the cycle), but the pore blockages start with the androgens influx when cycle begins.
    During cycle you get a lot of blocked pores, this blocked pores (whiteheads or blackheads) can remain like that for weeks and not create a pimple or cyst. It will only create an infection (yes pimples and cysts are localized infections) once there is spillage of the oil and pus to the inside of the skin. This spillage and increased virulence of the P Acnes bacteria is not totally understood, it can be due to various reasons. The theory in hormonal acne is that this increased virulence is a reaction of the bacteria to the reduction in oil production by sebaceous glands.

Well, so how to solve hormonal acne? You need to control the P Acnes bacteria from the start of the cycle, if you are only worried about it when pimple and cysts appear you are already late. Exfoliation, chlorhexidine cleanses and blue light therapy are some treatments that will work during cycle to control it. Yes, tanning beds or sun and salt water will also work to an extent.
    If you are already with cystic acne, the first step is antibiotics (doxycycline or minocycline) which will help with the infections and inflammation, but antibiotics will not treat the blocked pores, and they will continue to produce cysts, you need to also do the exfoliation, etc, to try and remove this blocked pores. Bare in mind this is for cystic acne, you should not take antibiotics if you have a pimple here and there!
    If antibiotics dont work the last resort is accutane, which is a very harsh drug, but for hormonal acne after cycle, it can be very effective in small dosage 10mg EOD (or mon, wed and fri), it will take minimum 6 months of treatment and improvements only after 1-2 months. Please dont cycle while you are still on accutane.
    2 weeks in cycle and i got 2 pimples(i know not a lot but i HARDLY ever get them,probably had like 3 in 5 yars)I don't care about acne that much but from what you wrote i understood you're not getting pimples on cycle but rather after it?So my question is , is it normal?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Very informative BB I've been having issues with cystic acne myself so this helps me out.

What do you mean by exfoliation? Like an exfoliating body wash or scrubbing the back or something?
    Can't do much about cystic acne, it's too deep for skin cleansing. Exfoliation is when you get a soft cotton scrub towel, put anti-acne wash on it, and gently scrub the acne area in a circular pattern until you remove the top layer of the skin. There are special exfoliation creams but the cloth is cheaper and is just as effective.
    Last edited by ScotchGuard02; 06-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    AlphaMindz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie214 View Post
    Sorry I’m a little bit confused. Could someone simplify that for me? I know acne is a androgenic side effect but why did I not get it 2nd time around?
    Your body adapts to the cycle. I got backne on my first cycle but I get no acne now and I run a much higher dose over my first cycle.
    Last edited by ScotchGuard02; 06-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    Your body adapts to the cycle. I got backne on my first cycle but I get no acne now and I much higher dose over my first cycle.
    Oh okay so that was what I was thinking, that’s great! Thanks.

Is there any way to remove acne scars? Most likely not I assume since it is a scar, and they are permanent marks. Doesn’t bother me much though.

Quote Originally Posted by usernamewastaken View Post
    2 weeks in cycle and i got 2 pimples(i know not a lot but i HARDLY ever get them,probably had like 3 in 5 yars)I don't care about acne that much but from what you wrote i understood you're not getting pimples on cycle but rather after it?So my question is , is it normal?
    When you run Test, your body says, hey I'm going through puberty, and turns on the oil faucet. Your body is super smart and will adapt and acclimate to the oils each successive cycle.

usernamewastaken is offline Associate Member
    When you run Test, your body says, hey I'm going through puberty, and turns on the oil faucet. Your body is super smart and will adapt and acclimate to the oils each successive cycle.
    Kay thanks for the info,i got a bit confused from bb's post but all good now.

Quote Originally Posted by usernamewastaken View Post
    Kay thanks for the info,i got a bit confused from bb's post but all good now.
    Acne mechanisms are not totally understood by modern medicine. What we know for sure is that it is an infection of a bacteria (p acnes bacteria) that feeds on oil produced by skin. If a lot of oil is produced the bacteria proliferates.

This bacteria exists in everybodies skin. Some ppl are prone to acne, some are not. The theory is that some ppl have different strings and some strings are less prone to create acne.

P acnes bacteria is a anaerobic bacteria, this means it only thrives (multiply) in environments oxygen free (or poor). This is one of the reasons for acne, the bacteria "hides" inside pores and closes the pore with a biofilm where it can gorge on the sebum undisturbed from the oxygen. The pore eventually gets filled with bacteria proliferation, and its dejects creating an infection when the pore wall ruptures.

About exfoliation, well, its a way of trying to control the bacteria and prevent it from "hiding" inside the skin. But of course, first step good personal hygiene, shower twice and dont use the same towel if the problem is body acne. There are many ways to exfoliate, and many different scrubs and gels, but like Scotch said a above a good rub with cloth or towel is usually as effective. What you want is remove the top layer of the skin, face you need to be somewhat careful as skin is more sensitive but most of us men have really thick skin on back and shoulders.
    AlphaMindz likes this.

Is there any way to remove acne scars? Most likely not I assume since it is a scar, and they are permanent marks. Doesn’t bother me much though.
    Nowadays there are treatments for acne scaring. Not cheap and you need a dermatologist. The most effective are laser treatments, but if the scar is not very deep a chemical peel may help, or even needle roller (not sure if this is the correct translation).

But this treatments are usually for bad scaring on face. Search Dr. Davin Lim on youtube, he got amazing videos on laser treatments, with before and after pics.

Acne mechanisms are not totally understood by modern medicine. What we know for sure is that it is an infection of a bacteria (p acnes bacteria) that feeds on oil produced by skin. If a lot of oil is produced the bacteria proliferates.

This bacteria exists in everybodies skin. Some ppl are prone to acne, some are not. The theory is that some ppl have different strings and some strings are less prone to create acne.

P acnes bacteria is a anaerobic bacteria, this means it only thrives (multiply) in environments oxygen free (or poor). This is one of the reasons for acne, the bacteria "hides" inside pores and closes the pore with a biofilm where it can gorge on the sebum undisturbed from the oxygen. The pore eventually gets filled with bacteria proliferation, and its dejects creating an infection when the pore wall ruptures.

About exfoliation, well, its a way of trying to control the bacteria and prevent it from "hiding" inside the skin. But of course, first step good personal hygiene, shower twice and dont use the same towel if the problem is body acne. There are many ways to exfoliate, and many different scrubs and gels, but like Scotch said a above a good rub with cloth or towel is usually as effective. What you want is remove the top layer of the skin, face you need to be somewhat careful as skin is more sensitive but most of us men have really thick skin on back and shoulders.
    Good stuff

Can't much about cystic acne, it's too deep for skin cleansing. Exfoliation is when you get a soft cotton scrub towel, put anti-acne wash on it, and gently scrub the acne area in a circular pattern until you remove the top layer of the skin. There are special exfoliation creams but the cloth is cheaper and is just as effective.
    Ok great thanks. I only have my girl around when I shower a few times a week when we're together as we live separately, so would a sponge on a stick or loofa work the same so I can so it myself, too? And do you have any acne washes that you'd recommend? In the past with other types of acne I've had a lot of success with 10% Benzyl Peroxide like what's in Proactive, is that what you were thinking or is there something else maybe that I don't know about....?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Ok great thanks. I only have my girl around when I shower a few times a week when we're together as we live separately, so would a sponge on a stick or loofa work the same so I can so it myself, too? And do you have any acne washes that you'd recommend? In the past with other types of acne I've had a lot of success with 10% Benzyl Peroxide like what's in Proactive, is that what you were thinking or is there something else maybe that I don't know about....?
    This is a great non-comedogenic wash:

Depending on how you skin reacts you can use the best pre-operative skin sterilizer (chlorhexidine), needs 4% version for best chances against P acnes bacteria:

^^Good stuff brother thank you.

Oh okay so that was what I was thinking, that’s great! Thanks.

You can go to your dermatologist and do a chemical peel. The chemical removes the first couple of layers of skin to expose the soft under belly. Makes the skin more youthful and smooths out dermal scars.

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    Use dishwashing liquid for your shower, something with lactic acid. At the end of the shower turn the cold water on to close the pores. As far as acid peels, I used to buy glycolic acid at amazon and do the peels myself. However you can buy saylacylic acid to better treat the acne. Do the research if you go this route as you can really fuck yourself up if not prepared. But it’s better than paying 500 or so bucks. Costs about 40 at Amazon

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    In the above post, BB is saying that you probably still have the closed pores which will lead to acne later.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunjohn242002 View Post
    Use dishwashing liquid for your shower, something with lactic acid. At the end of the shower turn the cold water on to close the pores. As far as acid peels, I used to buy glycolic acid at amazon and do the peels myself. However you can buy saylacylic acid to better treat the acne. Do the research if you go this route as you can really fuck yourself up if not prepared. But it’s better than paying 500 or so bucks. Costs about 40 at Amazon
    Sincerely dont advice anyone doing its own chemical peel, at least a proper chemical peel in which your skin falls off.

Its medical procedure with risks and knowledge involved that should be done by a trained medical doctor.

Of course if you are talking about the peelings with products from cosmetic companys, that you can do but its really useless for acne scaring.

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    SOLID read.......never knew this but always wanted to know.....

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    it’s very common for people to do peels on their own. I’ve did glycolic peels many times without any problems. Everything we talk about on this board involves a medical procedure in one way or another. The key here is having the knowledge to be as safe as possible while doing it. Nothing wrong with saving a few thousand dollars. I’ve spent thousands on ablative co 2 procedures with minimal results. Found a dermaroller for 20 bucks and within one year my skin looked like new. But I’ve got off the original question. I’m honestly not sure why you’re not having acne on this go around but it’s best to do everything in your power to prevent breakouts from forming. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Medical peels of the strength necessary for the applications the OP and BB are discussing are to dangerous to be DYI.
    Also, there is micro-needling for scarring. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4976400/

Thread Information