Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Here is something new

sleepstalker is offline Junior Member

Here is something new

Anyone know why its okay to take Melatonin HORMONE for an extended period of time and not experience shutdown by the pineal gland but when it comes to testosterone its the opposite? I mean its recommended not to use Melatonin for a long time but... thats something I noticed. I wonder if there is some protective mechanism there? What about binding it to test?

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This is a complex issue. It has to do with feedback loops; antagonist vs agonists; selective v partial v total; receptor affinity; the hormone cascade; etc. But, one distinction is testosterone regulation is maintained by the HPTA where as melotonin, as you pointed out, is produced in the pineal gland.

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    This is a complex issue. It has to do with feedback loops; antagonist vs agonists; selective v partial v total; receptor affinity; the hormone cascade; etc. But, one distinction is testosterone regulation is maintained by the HPTA where as melotonin, as you pointed out, is produced in the pineal gland.
    I am trying to recall back from bioclass. LOL I graduated in Bio but I barely remember the specifics of this stuff. But yes Melatonin comes from a gland and test comes from the testes an endocrine gland.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Melatonin is not part of the HPTA.

Bind what with what??

Its secreted by a gland just like test is secreted by a gland. Just saying. Not the same mechanism but both secreted by glands.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepstalker View Post
    Its secreted by a gland just like test is secreted by a gland. Just saying. Not the same mechanism but both secreted by glands.
    umm pretty much all hormones come from glands. thats an irrelevant point. thats like saying all humans come from planet earth therefore all humans should be the same in every way. no we are all different , just like hormones and their related glands and systems are all different and work via diff mechanisms of action .

testosterone is unique from a lot of other hormones in that it is very sensitive to 'feed back loops' . meaning the testes 'gland' will slow down or stop the production of testosterone very easily based on several other factors in the body. example, if estrogen is high the testes will slow down production of testosterone. IF the testes stop production for prolonged periods of time, they may have trouble coming back on.

Plenty of other glands in the body are NOT this sensitive and effected by feed back loops. your Pituitary gland will produce TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) pretty much without hindrance , your pancreas will produce insulin even if your taking exogenous insulin, your pituitary will produce GH even if you take GH . these glands are not easily shut down like the testes 'glands' are.
    sleepstalker likes this.

Testlolblast is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepstalker View Post
    Anyone know why its okay to take Melatonin HORMONE for an extended period of time and not experience shutdown by the pineal gland but when it comes to testosterone its the opposite? I mean its recommended not to use Melatonin for a long time but... thats something I noticed. I wonder if there is some protective mechanism there? What about binding it to test?
    Dunno about a protective mechanism there but as far as I know it should be taken only as needed not cycled, because it's possible to get insensitive to a regular dose.

Thread Information