Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By ScotchGuard02
  • 2 Post By charger69

Thread: Aldactone questions

PowerGym is offline Junior Member

Aldactone questions

Hey everyone,

Can someone walk me through Aldatone use (24h before the show)?
    Got important even coming, I am on 93kg, leanish, around 10% bodyfat, 4th week in prep and I want to use Aldactone to be as dry as possible on the stage but I never used it before.
    Got tons of inforamtion from all different sources but wanna her from one that never failed me, you guys..
    Every comment is highly appriciated <3

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    if your looking for something to help dry you out right before a show then your better off running something like a Dyazide (or even Lasix, but take caution with that). These are going to work immediately. whereas Aldactone mainly works by lowering the hormone Aldosterone in the body, and this is a several days long process.

back in the day guys used to limit/restrict their sodium intake the weeks going into a show in an attempt to lose water retention. what ends up happening though is your body then responds to this lack of sodium by up-regulating the hormone aldosterone (which is like sodium in that it helps the body retain water). So, what guys would do the week of the show is start taking Aldactone to counter this effect and help them keep from retaining water due to the elevation of Aldosterone.

its much easier now to just go ahead and keep your sodium intake stable. start taking a Dyazide the day before the show and lose the water weight directly (rather then the longer more indirect effect that Aldactone has).

if you can get some dyazide the whole process of water cutting is going to be much more simple. however, if you only have Aldactone then plan on taking it at least a few days going into the show.

note: if you came across Lasix , please do your research. this can be a deadly drug as it is NOT potassium sparing. you'll flush both water and potassium out of your body (you need potassium for your heart to function).
    but keep in mind the opposite, the drugs like Aldactone and Dyazide that are potassium sparing, you can end up with too much potassium (or too high a ratio) and that can be deadly as well. this generally happens after the show when you begin eating a lot of food and retaining a bunch of water and extra potassium.
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 01-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.

You should be taking Spironolactone 2 -3 days before the competition date. You shouldn't exceed a total of 100mg/day. I take 25mg in the morning after breakfast, 50mg after lunch, and 25mg after dinner.

I'm always cautious of diuretics as it can end your life. There will be a lot of water and sodium that will leave your system so you need to be especially careful to replace your electrolytes during this process. The thing I like about adactone is that you retain your potassium as your are releasing water. Saves you from those terrible cramps you may experience when you use something like dyazide. Don't get me wrong, I like dyazide. It works faster and you're in/out of the stuff right before the show.

Go kick some skinny butt at your show!
    PowerGym and Family_guy like this.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    if your looking for something to help dry you out right before a show then your better off running something like a Dyazide (or even Lasix, but take caution with that). These are going to work immediately. whereas Aldactone mainly works by lowering the hormone Aldosterone in the body, and this is a several days long process.

back in the day guys used to limit/restrict their sodium intake the weeks going into a show in an attempt to lose water retention. what ends up happening though is your body then responds to this lack of sodium by up-regulating the hormone aldosterone (which is like sodium in that it helps the body retain water). So, what guys would do the week of the show is start taking Aldactone to counter this effect and help them keep from retaining water due to the elevation of Aldosterone.

its much easier now to just go ahead and keep your sodium intake stable. start taking a Dyazide the day before the show and lose the water weight directly (rather then the longer more indirect effect that Aldactone has).

if you can get some dyazide the whole process of water cutting is going to be much more simple. however, if you only have Aldactone then plan on taking it at least a few days going into the show.

note: if you came across Lasix , please do your research. this can be a deadly drug as it is NOT potassium sparing. you'll flush both water and potassium out of your body (you need potassium for your heart to function).
    but keep in mind the opposite, the drugs like Aldactone and Dyazide that are potassium sparing, you can end up with too much potassium (or too high a ratio) and that can be deadly as well. this generally happens after the show when you begin eating a lot of food and retaining a bunch of water and extra potassium.
    ^^ dead on

PowerGym is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    ^^ dead on
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I guess its better then making new one.

Got competition in 8 days, and I wanna do aldactone 25mg night before starting to load up on carbs but I am not sure should I change my salt intake prior and on the day of taking aldactone?
    Last edited by PowerGym; 04-12-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGym View Post
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I guess its better then making new one.

Got competition in 8 days, and I wanna do aldactone 25mg night before starting to load up on carbs but I am not sure should I change my salt intake prior and on the day of taking aldactone?
    the whole reason for taking Aldactone is because your manipulating your sodium the week going into the contest.. if your not doing that and trying to counter act the hormone aldosterone, then there is no point in taking aldactone.

take a dyazide if your not messing with sodium and potassium and just looking to shed a bit of water the night before .
    the way your thinking about using Aldactone is not how its meant to be used

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Be very careful with diuretics. Even though they spare potassium, you can still get killer cramps.
    Try flexing every muscle and smiling with a killer cramp. Almost impossible.
    I’ve been there and done that.
    I will probably get slapped, but every comp I’ve been in, I drink a bottle of wine the night before. It makes you go pee and the alcohol also dries you up. You also get a great nights sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GearHeaded and Family_guy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Be very careful with diuretics. Even though they spare potassium, you can still get killer cramps.
    Try flexing every muscle and smiling with a killer cramp. Almost impossible.
    I’ve been there and done that.
    I will probably get slapped, but every comp I’ve been in, I drink a bottle of wine the night before. It makes you go pee and the alcohol also dries you up. You also get a great nights sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    funny , I was going to advise you to drink a couple of shots of pure vodka the night before your next comp

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    funny , I was going to advise you to drink a couple of shots of pure vodka the night before your next comp
    You and Ronnie Coleman giving the same advice :-)

Thread Information