Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By The God Himself
  • 1 Post By The God Himself

Thread: Iron level on Test cycle

mxgregg is offline Junior Member

Iron level on Test cycle

I got some mid cycle blood work and everything looked good but my Iron level was high. Normal level 35 to 150 and mine was 169. Is that caused by taking test or something else I should look into.

The God Himself is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ferroportin is a protein that is responsible for transporting iron through the blood. It picks up iron from the cells into the blood.
    The liver secretes something called Hepcidin, which blocks ferroportin from doing its job. Normally, this mechanism would keep your iron levels stable.
    Testosterone inhibits hepcidin transcription from the liver so you can see where this goes to, your iron levels rise up.
    To get rid of excess iron, your body increases the biosynthesis of hemoglobin and red blood cells, which is known as erythropoiesis.
    Long story short, AAS are known to increase your iron levels, RBC and HCT, what you are experiencing is pretty much normal.
    Watch out for your hematocrit levels and if they go super-high, please donate blood before your blood thickens too much. (an elevated HCT level is normal and beneficial for athletes, however having super-high HCT levels for a prolonged time period is known to increase the risk of stroke since your heart will have hard time pumping a viscous liquid through.)

Give this study a read if you're interested in further details: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/acel.12052
    mxgregg likes this.

Thanks for the great information. Hematocrit is at 47.6 so not too high at this point.

The God Himself is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
    Thanks for the great information. Hematocrit is at 47.6 so not too high at this point.
    Well, considering you’re on gear, 47.6 is even low lol. Watch out for your bloodwork, BW is a good assessment for general health.
    mxgregg likes this.

Thank you sir.

Thread Information