Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah

Thread: Re sterilizing gear How to best method

ns9797 is offline Junior Member

Re sterilizing gear How to best method

I have some old gear that I’m wanting to use again. But wanting to be on the safer side and resterlize/reheat it? What would be the Best method? If possible add step by step. Thanks

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ns9797 View Post
    I have some old gear that I’m wanting to use again. But wanting to be on the safer side and resterlize/reheat it? What would be the Best method? If possible add step by step. Thanks

Is the gear crashed? Can you see crystals floating in it? If not, don’t worry about it.

If so, trying running it under hot water or setting in a pot on the stove with half of it submerged in water and slowly heat and stir/shake until the particulates disappear
    Charlie67 likes this.

ns9797 is offline Junior Member
    No gear doesn’t seem to be crashed or any visible crystals. It’s just been sitting for a while out in the open meaning sitting on the shelf. I know usually for crashed gear your recommended to re heat it over the stove. Just need more info on how long and what temperature stove reads at low 2-8 high

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If it’s not crashed and no visible crystals then heating it isn’t going to sterilize it or make a bit of difference. Is it in a vial with air sealed topper? If so, then use it. Gear is usually G2G long after the expiration date. You can always send it to me and I’ll let you know if it’s ok, if it isn’t up to snuff I’ll properly dispose of it for you...

If you’re hell bent on heating it up, don’t go over 200 degrees or so and leave it for 3 minutes or so. I don’t know your oven, but guessing around a 2 or 3 on the dial. Can use a thermometer if you’re feeling crazy.

In all seriousness though, you’re overthinking it. No crystals, no problem

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The only way to sterilize it is to filter it using a .2 micron filter. As long as your aseptic technique was good when you first used it you should have no problems using it. I have vials that have been open for well over a year, maybe longer, and i would still use it.

If your google dry heat sterilization of parenteral oil vehicles you will find a study on dry heat sterilization, and they got by with 150° celsius for 1 hour. After that they found no bacteria, but thats very hot. It can damage some hormones, and the study also recommended that you should verify this is sufficient for whatever oil your using.

212 or the temperature of boiling water is enough to kill most germs, but i dont want to just kill the germs in anything i inject. I want to remove them, and a .2 micron filter is sufficient to remove virtually all bacteria.

Lots of people the the benzyl alcohol kills bacteria in the oil, but it doesnt. Its a bacteriostatic agent, it helps prevent the growth of bacteria in the vials that are being pierced by needles repeatedly.

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    If its not been used before then it will be fine, if you have used it before it may still be fine.

You can put it in a pressure cooker at 15psi for about 60min or you could filter it like jstone said with a .2micron filter.

Thread Information