Thread: Flu shots

xusmc67 is offline New Member

Flu shots

Is it safe to get a flu shot while I am in the middle of my cycle?

HOW SICK ARE YOU!!

I REALLY DONT KNOW BUT IF YOU THINK YOU CAN GET OVER THE FLU WITH PROPER REST, FOOD AND GOOD FLUIDS I WOULD SAY DO THAT INSTEAD!!

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    Hey Mr.PA. Flu shot is to prevent from getting flu not to cure it.

I'm not sure bro, Anyone???

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Yes, it's safe.

Getting a flus shot during a cycle is no problem, and will not conflict with any standard AS.

Having said that, I recommend that you get it soon - normally, the best time to get a flu shot is in mid October to late November, because the shot takes a couple of weeks to take effect. (Based on shortages over the past two years, the early weeks in mid October are usually geared toward senior citizens and persons with chronic conditions like diabetes or AIDS, then everyone else once the vaccine supply becomes more plentiful in November.)

Most drug stores and supermarket-based pharmacies have done their one-day "Get your shot" number already, but you should be able to get one through your doctor's office or even your county health department.

Chances are that most people will not ge the flu anyway, but taking some AS could make you more susceptible if your body's resistance is down. (There have also been some heavy colds going around this season.) One person wrote in a thread that he had a miserable case of the flu (I don't remember whether this appeared on A.R. or another board), but keeping in mind thet preventive steps are always better (and easier) than corrective steps, this is the best time to get the shot.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    That is soooo true!!! I never get a flu shot, and never have since I was a little kid. But they were offering it at our school and my friends went and got theirs. Well...guess what...they got sick and I didn't. It's fucken bullshit. Just watch yourself and there is no reason to catch the flu !!!

Terinox

primodonna is offline Female Member

Re: no one in the medical community will

Originally posted by 47john
    agree but i never meet 1 fuckin person , ever who took the flu shot and didnt get sick .
    i always got sick FROM the flu shot so i stopped getting it...and what do you know...i have been fluless ever since *knock on wood*
    What happens here, stays here

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Diversity of Opinions

Originally posted by 47john
    agree but i never meet 1 fuckin person , ever who took the flu shot and didnt get sick .
    I understand . . . but you never met me.

Seriously, there is a diversity of opinions on many types of shots, ranging from flu shots to routine innoculations for measles, mumps, etc. In terms of shots for students (brought up by Terinox), most states have an exemption in which parents can exempt their kids based on religious reasons (which includes parents who simply object to shots from a holistic health perspective). The problem, in terms of innoculations, is that this can often bounce back, such as when there was a mini-epidemic of measles in Philadelphia a few years ago due to parents from one particular church that objected to vaccinations for their kids.

As far as flu shots go, I've never had a problem with them, but I only started getting them as an adult (for the last five years or so). But the apartment building I live in has a lot of seniors, and I am not aware of any of them having a negative reaction to a flu shot, or of getting the flu after receiving the shot.

I think it's important to remember that flu shots are designed to prevent the flu, period. They will not, for example, prevent one from getting a cold (which most people tend to get once every year or two). But there's a major difference between a cold and the flu, and the flu shot often prevents a more severe occurrence. Even then, if one gets the flu, the flu shot will prevent a worse-case scenario.

As a general rule, flu shots are not given to people that have an allergy to eggs. (Really.) But short hof having experienced a negative reaction to a flu shot, my recommendation is that everyone get it, especially anyone in a high-risk category like persons with a chronic condition or persons who may be lessening their resistance by using some types of AS.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    The chances of getting flu is very low but if you take the flu jab you will feel shit for a while. So i would not bother with it.

Biggy20 is offline Associate Member

Angry

I agree!!!!!Flu shot is crap..... I got it last year, saying to myself, yes i won't be sick this winter......fuck, 2 days later i got one of the worst flu i ever had....Stay away from that shit, you don't need it!!!

xusmc67 is offline New Member

Wink Thanks

You guys are the best help one could ever want..... I would be lost without this board.......

Black Stang is offline Associate Member
    I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last five years with no problems at all. I find that when people get a cold or something, they say OMG I have the flu. B.S. if you get the flu, you will be out of comission for atleast a week. We have people call in sick at work sometimes saying I can't come in, got the flu. Then they come back the next day. - That ain't the flu. At the same time, I can't say that someone else would not have a negative experiance with the shot. But I don't know anyone that lost a week at work because of a shot.

fastman is offline New Member
    It takes about a week for the flu shoot to take affect. So if your exposed to the flu within a day or 2 of getting the shot it will do you no good. Some people do get sick from the shot or a negative reaction, but it is a small minority.

Also even if you get the flu after the shot it will be a lot less. TNT is very right about it not being the common cold. The full blown flu will wide you out for a week.

I have gotten the shot every year for over 5 years and never a problem and never the flu. With having a little kid I think it is even more important since who knows what he is exposed to at pre-school.

The shot should not have any effect on AS.

rottwhiler75 is offline New Member
    i also get flu shots every year and never get sick. its just how your body reacts

Thread Information