• 1 Post By LillyWhites
  • 4 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By Yard_Dog
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Cuz

Thread: How to increase muscle mass in a dog?

LillyWhites is offline New Member

How to increase muscle mass in a dog?

I've got an old 12.5yr old dog with hip dysplasia, and as a result muscle mass in his hind legs is wasting away. He still likes to go on his walks, but has a hard time with stairs.

I found dosing information for Deca on a Greyhound racing forum, and he's at Week 6 with one shot per week. His mobility is a bit better, and getting up from laying down is a bit better. My question is, is there anything else that I could use to help increase muscle mass more quickly. I'm open to all options here as he's got another couple of years left at most, and looking to make them quality years. Thanks.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Damn, how do you give a dog a shot?

I am no vet but I imagine test is best.
    Probably scale the dose by body weight.

I am not advocating this.
    Not sure what I would do.

For a dog, IM same as a human. Easiest spot is hind leg/upper thigh.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    I am no vet but I imagine test is best.
    Probably scale the dose by body weight.

I am not advocating this.
    Not sure what I would do.
    The Vet will give me Adequan to give him as a shot, amazing for arthritis, but doesn't do anything for muscle. I can check on racing forums to see if they give Greyhounds anything for quick muscle recovery after injury, but Test-E is definitely an option, as I have loads of that that I use all year for myself.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    If you live on an area where temperatures allow it, take your dog out to the lake and get him some time in swimming regularly. Very easy on the joints and the resistance is beneficial for the muscles.

If your dog is a large or giant breed, stairs are going to continue to be a challenge. Trust me we've had them as large as 280+ lbs, you want to be very cautious with their joints as they get older. Actually, for giant breeds the worst times for joint issues are as a puppy and as a senior citizen.

Don't overload your dog with compounds. Their liver and renal sytems much more fragile than a human.

I would opt for the Adequan as a standalone treatment.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Cheers...he's an 85lb Lab, and have a vet appt. next week.

Quote Originally Posted by LillyWhites View Post
    Cheers...he's an 85lb Lab, and have a vet appt. next week.
    Good. Discuss the Adequan again and maybe Cosequin. If the joint is painful, your dog will have difficulty working the limb to build muscle.

Best of luck! Our 4 legged friends give is so much and ask for very little in return.
    Yard_Dog and 956Vette like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Yard_Dog is offline Junior Member
    Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your pup. I have been a Veterinarian primarily on large animals for 12 years (far from an expert on dogs and cats). The coarse of action starting from the least expensive to costly would be Cosequin and weight loss to assist his or her hips. The next would be total hip replacement and femoral head ostectomy. Stanozolol , boldenone , and nandrolone are rarely used in veterinary medicine anymore, (aside from Equine and Cattle) but are still occasionally prescribed to stimulate the appetite, promote weight gain, increase strength, and treat anemia. The nandrolone will create a weight gain that will ultimately further the problem. Further more it can also affect a k9s over all immune system.
    Last edited by Yard_Dog; 12-22-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    XnavyHMCS and Ernst like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard_Dog View Post
    Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your pup. I have been a Veterinarian primarily on large animals for 12 years (far from an expert on dogs and cats). The coarse of action starting from the least expensive to costly would be Cosequin and weight loss to assist his or her hips. The next would be total hip replacement and femoral head ostectomy. Stanozolol, boldenone, and nandrolone are rarely used in veterinary medicine anymore, (aside from Equine and Cattle) but are still occasionally prescribed to stimulate the appetite, promote weight gain, increase strength, and treat anemia. The nandrolone will create a weight gain that will ultimately further the problem. Further more it can also affect a k9s over all immune system.
    How do you feel about finajet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    How do you feel about finajet?
    Finajet/Finaplix (Tren ) I have absolutely zero experience in with K9, again I primarily work with Equine and Cattle that said it works wonders in adding weight to heifers prior to slaughter. Typically start administering 70 days out.I wouldn't recommend this for k9 use.
    Last edited by Yard_Dog; 12-23-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Dogs naturally produce testosterone .

I have a hard time believing that any AAS would be safer than test.
    (In the same way that I think test is the safest AAS for humans.)

I am not advocating giving test to a dog...
    But I would rather someone give test than to give them tren .

We give tren and estrogen to cattle and then kill them.
    We have zero regard for the health of these animals.
    Yard_Dog likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Finajet/Finaplix (Tren) I have absolutely zero experience in with K9, again I primarily work with Equine and Cattle that said it works wonders in adding weight to heifers prior to slaughter. Typically start administering 70 days out.I wouldn't recommend this for k9 use.
    I didnt figure you would recommend this, as probably nobody would. But i can guarantee ya mass lean mass would increase lol along with other things im sure. Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Dogs naturally produce testosterone .

I have a hard time believing that any AAS would be safer than test.
    (In the same way that I think test is the safest AAS for humans.)

I am not advocating giving test to a dog...
    But I would rather someone give test than to give them tren .

We give tren and estrogen to cattle and then kill them.
    We have zero regard for the health of these animals.
    I wouldn't say we have zero regards for their health. However protein production have it be cattle or poultry is not the prettiest of work.

Well by zero regard for their health I mean their long term health...
    We are beefing them up simply to slaughter them.

But yes you are correct in that we want them healthy before we kill them so they can grow.
    Yard_Dog likes this.

Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your pup. I have been a Veterinarian primarily on large animals for 12 years (far from an expert on dogs and cats). The coarse of action starting from the least expensive to costly would be Cosequin and weight loss to assist his or her hips. The next would be total hip replacement and femoral head ostectomy. Stanozolol, boldenone, and nandrolone are rarely used in veterinary medicine anymore, (aside from Equine and Cattle) but are still occasionally prescribed to stimulate the appetite, promote weight gain, increase strength, and treat anemia. The nandrolone will create a weight gain that will ultimately further the problem. Further more it can also affect a k9s over all immune system.
    Shoot, you guys that make farm calls have been a huge help to us over the years.
    Have been fortunate to have 2 good "farm" vets and learned a TON from them over the years/decades, plus they are a lot better at working with and surgery on large breeds than most "office only":vets.
    Yard_Dog likes this.

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    How do you feel about finajet.?
    Personally, I love it. Long ago, it and component TH introduced me to tren ace not long after I met Synovex H and test prop.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Personally, I love it. Long ago, it and component TH introduced me to tren ace not long after I met Synovex H and test prop.
    Wayy before my time lol
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information