• 1 Post By morton30
  • 2 Post By morton30
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By morton30
  • 2 Post By Wannabhuge14

Thread: Antidepressants and gains

TheDreamer is offline Associate Member

Antidepressants and gains

It is said antidepressants make you lose a bit of weight (depending on individual and type I guess). I was just wondering what kind of weight since I'm in last weeks on my test cycle and need to start a medicine. It's a really mild medication btw. It's nothing essential and up to me if I take it or not. It sucks that I can't find very little information online regarding this. Muscle weight or fat weight? Water? I don't want my physique to be eaten by this pill.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    As far as I was aware I’ve read that antidepressants can cause the opposite with some weight gain...
    Also some can lower your natural testosterone levels ....
    TheDreamer likes this.

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

morton30 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
    It is said antidepressants make you lose a bit of weight (depending on individual and type I guess). I was just wondering what kind of weight since I'm in last weeks on my test cycle and need to start a medicine. It's a really mild medication btw. It's nothing essential and up to me if I take it or not. It sucks that I can't find very little information online regarding this. Muscle weight or fat weight? Water? I don't want my physique to be eaten by this pill.
    i have been off and on antidepressants for many years whilst lifting and taking steroids any ssri give me erectile dysfunction so those kind of anti depressants i will not take. even on a gram of test it will not help ive tried everything to try and fix this all herbal remides proviron pt 141 ect nothing will sort it i dont know if you have this problem aswell but if you can the best anti depresent i have found is a drug called vortioxetine zero side effects for me but i feel a million times better. but when it comes to body building none will really effect it besides mirtazapine witch will have the opposite effect that you are worrying about it will make you gain a huge amount of weight very fast as it increases your hunger for high carb sugary foods so yea all the weight gain is bad weight. but when it comes to people loosing weight on anti depressants its just most probably being more content and being able to eat again. what antidepressant are you taking?
    TheDreamer likes this.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Some people see depression as a brain disease and so they take a drug to make it better similar to how you would take an epileptic pill to treat epilepsy.

I don't see depression as a brain disease, and I don't believe in so-called 'clinical depression'.

I think that antipressants -- in particular the SSRI's -- are to be used to take the edge off, along with an activity such as praying, counselling, mediation. Some people say that sport is the best therapy.

Have you even gotten yourself books by Eckhart Tolle or anything?
    TheDreamer likes this.

as far as i know eckhart tolle teaches religious babble any serious man would not take notice.
    definition of disease: a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury
    now depression is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain witch is not brought on by physical injury so if we are using the definition correctly yes depression is a disease of sorts. but this chemical imbalance can come about from improper diet not enough exercise sunlight ect. so my advise would be eat clean train hard take the pills we live in the 21st Century we dont have to suffer as bad as we did a hundred years ago take advantage of that
    Last edited by morton30; 04-02-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    TheDreamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by morton30 View Post
    now depression is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain
    Bullshit.

You can say one word to a person to make their heart open. So are you telling me that that one word corrects a chemical imbalance?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Bullshit.

You can say one word to a person to make their heart open.
    what on earth are you talking about there?
    anyway the fact that depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain it is not up for discussion it is solid science it is an imbalance of either/or serotonin–norepinephrine–dopamine
    TheDreamer and mrrochez like this.

what on earth are you talking about there?
    anyway the fact that depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain it is not up for discussion it is solid science it is an imbalance of either/or serotonin–norepinephrine–dopamine
    You're assuming that what we see in brain scans (e.g. CT scan, MRI scan, PET scan) is indicative of how the brain's functioning is affecting the mind.

Some people such as myself believe that those brain scans are indicative of how the mind is affecting the brain. You can see a person's unhappiness in their brain scan.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I don't think you really have to worry about the affect of the anti-depressants on your weight. Your first of all replacing your testosterone , so you don't have to worry about lowered testosterone. And the other main reason for weight gain/loss in using antidepressants is a change in dietary habits. If you are scheduling you meals and their portions (like you should be already doing long before you ever touched steroids ), you're not going to be subject to changes in habits. You're controlling your diet by force.

So if your doctor gave you antidepressants, take them. Your mental health comes before all of this.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 04-02-2021 at 06:07 PM.
    TheDreamer likes this.

i have been off and on antidepressants for many years whilst lifting and taking steroids any ssri give me erectile dysfunction so those kind of anti depressants i will not take. even on a gram of test it will not help ive tried everything to try and fix this all herbal remides proviron pt 141 ect nothing will sort it i dont know if you have this problem aswell but if you can the best anti depresent i have found is a drug called vortioxetine zero side effects for me but i feel a million times better. but when it comes to body building none will really effect it besides mirtazapine witch will have the opposite effect that you are worrying about it will make you gain a huge amount of weight very fast as it increases your hunger for high carb sugary foods so yea all the weight gain is bad weight. but when it comes to people loosing weight on anti depressants its just most probably being more content and being able to eat again. what antidepressant are you taking?
    It's called bupropion/wellbutrin.

It's called bupropion/wellbutrin.
    yea i have heard so much good things about bupropion but in the uk its called zyban and its used to quit smoking they wouldent prescribe it to me
    TheDreamer likes this.

yea i have heard so much good things about bupropion but in the uk its called zyban and its used to quit smoking they wouldent prescribe it to me
    Good in what sense? Do you lose weight or what,? Do you think it's safe for my gains?

Wannabhuge14 is offline Associate Member
    Good in what sense? Do you lose weight or what,? Do you think it's safe for my gains?
    I have made the most progress I've ever made since being on an ssri. If antidepressants have a negative impact on your progress I would bet it's very minimal to the point of being unnoticeable. I'm not trying to come off as rude man but you really need to chill out and stop stressing things. You worry about so many small things that amount to nothing. If anything I would think the high stress levels you always seem to have would hinder your progress more than any antidepressant
    TheDreamer and Honkey_Kong like this.

Thread Information