• 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By DinAZ
  • 1 Post By 99JT
  • 2 Post By sully169
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: How Often Is a Good rate to Donate Blood?

BigJ2003 is offline New Member

How Often Is a Good rate to Donate Blood?

How Often Is a Good rate to Donate Blood? I know going and donating blood while on cycle and if ur just cruising after is a great healthy habit to have, but hoe frequent does everyone go?

sully169 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJ2003 View Post
    How Often Is a Good rate to Donate Blood? I know going and donating blood while on cycle and if ur just cruising after is a great healthy habit to have, but hoe frequent does everyone go?
    The NY blood bank has requirements ... i believe its 8 weeks for whole blood and 12 weeks for double red cells ... not sure in other states/countries

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    After every cycle or every 3-4 months on Trt is good rule of thumb
    956Vette and Test Monsterone like this.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    In UK you cannot give blood if you have ever injected steroids !

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Since high blood pressure runs in my family, and using adhd medication my bp is high. I donate 4 times a year, once every quarter/3 months.

Donating on that schedule does so well for me i dont need BP medication.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    In UK you cannot give blood if you have ever injected steroids!
    Well yea, thats why you dont tell them. That question is asked in the paperwork here in the US as well.
    956Vette likes this.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1 View Post
    Well yea, thats why you dont tell them. That question is asked in the paperwork here in the US as well.
    I never said I tell them ....lol. Just stating the rules here!

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I generally try to let my Hct,Hgb, and platelet levels dictate the frequency. Chronic donation (especially by older guys) can lead to low ferritin levels.
    warchild and Test Monsterone like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I generally try to let my Hct,Hgb, and platelet levels dictate the frequency. Chronic donation (especially by older guys) can lead to low ferritin levels.
    Just take more tren ..: problem solved.
    I used to donate every 30 days when on high tren.
    I went off tren and continued and ended up being on the other side and anemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Just take more tren..: problem solved.
    I used to donate every 30 days when on high tren .
    I went off tren and continued and ended up being on the other side and anemic.

Tried that. Blood got all stubborn and pissed off? Wouldn't exit my veins.
    Chark likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    In UK you cannot give blood if you have ever injected steroids!
    You're not supposed to tell them that you inject drugs, be it gear or other kinds.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    You're not supposed to tell them that you inject drugs, be it gear or other kinds.
    Or use needles.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Dave Palumbo says donating blood is not necessary. Dont recall, but steroidcaused high hct, does not create clots. Something else cause clots.
    After that youtubeclip, my blooddonation interest has degraded.
    One of the most knowledgeable members here, who got banned for other reasons, agreed with Dave also.

Sent fra min SM-G998B via Tapatalk

ZanderCage is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1 View Post
    Since high blood pressure runs in my family, and using adhd medication my bp is high. I donate 4 times a year, once every quarter/3 months.

Donating on that schedule does so well for me i dont need BP medication.
    this was something i was worried about. I tend to run high BP as well. I was worried they wouldn't let you donate because of that???

ZanderCage is offline New Member
    is it necessary to get blood test directly before or after giving blood?

Quote Originally Posted by AR's King Silabolin View Post
    Dave Palumbo says donating blood is not necessary. Dont recall, but steroidcaused high hct, does not create clots. Something else cause clots.
    After that youtubeclip, my blooddonation interest has degraded.
    One of the most knowledgeable members here, who got banned for other reasons, agreed with Dave also.

Sent fra min SM-G998B via Tapatalk
    I'll disagree with such a broad statement by Palumbo just because everyone is not the same. He was probably referring to platelet count. It is relevant in regards to clot formation.

i'm not a fan of overdonation, it brings its own set of problems. However, I don't think it's very beneficial for the noncompetitive lifters and BB'ers to run around with 56+% Hct. Much wiser to stay below that. I think the upper end of the "normal" range is ~ 51%.

Edit: The reason I disagree is that approximately 8% of people of European/Caucasian descent have at least one copy of a genetic defect that encourages clotting. Approximately 1 in 5,000 have 2 copies of the gene defect known as Leiden Factor V. This defect affects the clotting cascade and causes much more rapid clotting.

Many people never know they have it until they suddenly start throwing clots.
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-23-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'll disagree with such a broad statement by Palumbo just because everyone is not the same. He was probably referring to platelet count. It is relevant in regards to clot formation.

i'm not a fan of overdonation, it brings its own set of problems. However, I don't think it's very beneficial for the noncompetitive lifters and BB'ers to run around with 56+% Hct. Much wiser to stay below that. I think the upper end of the "normal" range is ~ 51%.

Edit: The reason I disagree is that approximately 8% of people of European/Caucasian descent have at least one copy of a genetic defect that encourages clotting. Approximately 1 in 5,000 have 2 copies of the gene defect known as Leiden Factor V. This defect affects the clotting cascade and causes much more rapid clotting.

Many people never know they have it until they suddenly start throwing clots.
    My dad died at 60 of blood clot in lung making him not be able to breathe (while in the hospital). He was sedentary so I don’t expect the same fate but I’d rather be proactive. So if donating MIGHT help me and might not I see no harm in doing it. There is a blood shortage right now so it is helping people, and may benefit my own health.

I read that donating blood regularly (2-4 times a year) can actually help keep hypertension down. I’m on linosipril BP med and I noticed a lot of other guys here have mentioned being on BP meds too. On top of that many steroids cause temporary raised BP while on them.

I gave blood yesterday after learning it might help my blood pressure. I hope it helps with clotting but even if it doesn’t, helping other people while potentially reducing my own blood pressure sounds pretty Fn good.
    sully169 and Test Monsterone like this.

99JT is offline Member
    Depends on the person get blood work to determine if you have to. Personally I used to donate as often as I was aloud and ended up anemic.
    sully169 likes this.

Having a high HCT & HGB will not be the only reason you develop a clot but it puts you at higher chance to develop one. Increased red blood cells & platelets will aggregate (join together/clot) at high levels and if you are sedentary or have vessel diseases, dehydrated or many other issues, known or unknown, can also increase you odds of acquiring a blood clot. Also donating blood helps other people, it a win win situation ... please donate... you local ICU RN.

Test Monsterone and DinAZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post
    My dad died at 60 of blood clot in lung making him not be able to breathe (while in the hospital). He was sedentary so I don’t expect the same fate but I’d rather be proactive. So if donating MIGHT help me and might not I see no harm in doing it. There is a blood shortage right now so it is helping people, and may benefit my own health.

I read that donating blood regularly (2-4 times a year) can actually help keep hypertension down. I’m on linosipril BP med and I noticed a lot of other guys here have mentioned being on BP meds too. On top of that many steroids cause temporary raised BP while on them.

I gave blood yesterday after learning it might help my blood pressure. I hope it helps with clotting but even if it doesn’t, helping other people while potentially reducing my own blood pressure sounds pretty Fn good.
    You are absolutely right ... it can help with BP. Also helping other people when donating is a reason to do it by itself

Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post

Yep. Donation is generally a win-win situation. Just be aware that as you get older, is is easier to deplete your ferritin levels.I generally will pull an iron panel annually just because I fall into that "older" age group.

Sorry for the loss of your father. As I posted many people are genetically inclined to clotting/thrombophilia but never notice know it until it happens. I never knew it until my left arm became extremely swollen and an ultrasound revealed clotting. When they put me on anticoagulant therapy but could never get my PT-INR in range, they sent me to an oncologist for testing. Not going into the whole story, but I had a pacemaker for a brief period of time. When they removed it they said the leads had clots attached.

I generally feel better as well with keeping my Hct close to/ or withing range. I don't know if it's related to my reduced cardiac function, but I find I can breathe deeper and my BP does drop several points.

Again, don't let yourself over donate. Just because your Hgb and Hct is in range, it doesn't necessarily mean your ferritin, TIBC, UIBC, serum iron, etc is in range.
    DinAZ and sully169 like this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm on BP meds and don't notice an improvement in BP when I donate, however I feel much better. I donated at the end of a few cycles and within a week I felt more energetic and less lethargic. My EQ cycles, especially, made my blood thick and made me tired.

I did hear or read somewhere that donating too often can also affect the bone marrow, which is responsible for creating the red blood cells.

Also, check your iron levels. My hematocrit/hemoglobin and RBC were just within normal range but my Iron levels were high. High iron levels are no good to the organs, so keep an eye on that. I'm donating again Friday cause my iron levels were fucked right before starting my last mini cycles... so I'm sure it's even worse now.
    Last edited by Test Monsterone; 07-24-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    DinAZ likes this.

Thread Information