• 2 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By clarky.
  • 4 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 3 Post By Cuz

Thread: Donate blood before blood work?

Fireguy1990 is offline Junior Member

Donate blood before blood work?

Going to get blood work done for Dr and havnt donated blood in a while way past overdue so red blood count is def up there.

Should I donate before hand or just get my levels checked and then donate.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how you think your doctor will respond.

If they are going to flip out and tell you to lower your dose, then donate before hand.

If they are likely to look at your numbers and say something like "you need to donate some blood", then it can wait until after.

I'm not sure that I would donate too soon before blood work. Blood work doesn't take much blood, but if you donated the day before, I guess you could end up woozy? I'm not 100% on this, just something to think about.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Before hand
    Chark and JaneDoe like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    If this is for TRT labs, pull your own CBC and see where your levels are.
    Find a friendly phlebotomist/phlebotomy student if Hct is high, have them help you drain some blood.
    Stay hydrated, pull self-ordered CBC again to see where you're at.

All the above is if your Dr. is relatively strict regarding labwork.
    JaneDoe likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Just depends on who's looking

My neurosurgical team can give a two shits less

My PCP hasn't requested any - I run self prescribed trr, so I can give two fucks less myself
    JaneDoe likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    My appointment with my trt doc is the 20th, i donated yesterday. I was 18.0, on a trt dose. No blasts. Other than a handful of pre workout dbols that dont do anything other than give a good pump it was just test making my blood rise that high man i was like damn ok then. Should be good to go for my doc now
    SampsonandDelilah and JaneDoe like this.

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy1990 View Post
    Going to get blood work done for Dr and havnt donated blood in a while way past overdue so red blood count is def up there.

Should I donate before hand or just get my levels checked and then donate.
    What blood work are you getting done for your Dr ? Why do you automatically think you RBC is high just because you have not donated.

If you are running test then donating is not going to do nothing for your labs.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Huher is offline Associate Member
    Why do you think your RBC is high? According to studies there is no evidence that giving blood reduces RBC or Hgb.

Quote Originally Posted by Huher View Post
    Why do you think your RBC is high? According to studies there is no evidence that giving blood reduces RBC or Hgb.
    Incorrect. Donating whole blood or a double red removes red blood cells from the total volume of blood. It is impossible to remove RBC without lowering Hct.

Why do you think they have a procedure called a "therapeutic phlebotomy"?

Just from personal experience and years...may as well say over a decade, one unit of whole blood donated lowers my Hct by ~ 1% when I pull the panel the next day. A double red generally gets me ~3%>

You can't remove red blood cells without lowering hematocrit. What is hematocrit. It's the % of your blood that is RBC....some prefer the term "packed cell volume".
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Here's a whole study dedicated to showing how much of an effect repeated donations have on various blood parameters:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5118378/

Maximal power output, peak oxygen consumption, and hemoglobin mass decreased (p < 0.001) up to 4 weeks after a single blood donation with a maximal decrease of 4, 10, and 7%, respectively. Hematocrit, hemoglobin concentration, ferritin, and red blood cell count (RBC), all key hematological parameters for oxygen transport, were lowered by a single donation (p < 0.001) and cumulatively further affected by the repetition of the donations (p < 0.001). The maximal decrease after a blood donation was 11% for hematocrit, 10% for hemoglobin concentration, 50% for ferritin, and 12% for RBC (p < 0.001).

Edit: You can donate too often, as well. You can see how much repeated donations nailed ferritin, lowered RBC as well.

That just how these things work.
    Last edited by almostgone; 12-11-2021 at 01:48 AM.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Incorrect. Donating whole blood or a double red removes red blood cells from the total volume of blood. It is impossible to remove RBC without lowering Hct.

Why do you think they have a procedure called a "therapeutic phlebotomy"?

Just from personal experience and years...may as well say over a decade, one unit of whole blood donated lowers my Hct by ~ 1% when I pull the panel the next day. A double red generally gets me ~3%>

You can't remove red blood cells without lowering hematocrit. What is hematocrit. It's the % of your blood that is RBC....some prefer the term "packed cell volume".
    ^^^ This

Its amazing how keeping your blood healthy will positively effect your overall health

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    ^^^ This

Its amazing how keeping your blood healthy will positively effect your overall health
    Very healthy, i was assuming it was for test ect.

Thread Information