• 1 Post By Chicagotarsier
  • 1 Post By wellshii
  • 1 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 1 Post By Cylon357

Thread: Syringe loading question

Killah_Keith is offline Junior Member

Syringe loading question

The syringes I've been using since the beginning have always had this protruding dimple to seat itself when fully depressed.

Because that takes up some volume, I've always loaded .1ml more to get the actual dosage I need.

I've never truly checked if that plunger actually equals .1ml, can anybody confirm this?

See image for reference.

.1ml might not matter to most. But I pin everyday, so that much can make a huge difference.

Can't get image to load...

But I think most people will know what I mean.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah_Keith View Post
    The syringes I've been using since the beginning have always had this protruding dimple to seat itself when fully depressed.

Because that takes up some volume, I've always loaded .1ml more to get the actual dosage I need.

I've never truly checked if that plunger actually equals .1ml, can anybody confirm this?

See image for reference.

.1ml might not matter to most. But I pin everyday, so that much can make a huge difference.
    I know exactly what you mean. No picture necessary.

During an injection with a traditional syringe there is what is known as "hub loss". Hub loss is the oil/medication that is left in the hub of the syringe after injection.
    To avoid this loss for intermuscular injections some people leave a very small bubble of air in the syringe to be sucked into the barrel during aspiration this air allows all of the oil/medication to be expelled from the syringe. The other option is to load slightly more oil/medication to account for the lost bit at the end of the injection.

You are overthinking things incorrectly:
    The syringes that you are talking about are designed to solve the problem of hub loss. So there is no reason for you to add the extra .1ml Just load it with your needed volume. Period.
    Last edited by -Ender-; 04-07-2022 at 10:30 AM.

I do leave a bit of air, then bring the bubble to the top before injecting. I do this so that last bit of air pushes every bit of oil out of the "hub".

I was going to measure by a very basic test I thought of.

Basically prepping my syringe as I always do. Then back filling into an insulin syringe. These are far easier to read and the base is perfectly flat.
    Cornish likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ender- View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. No picture necessary.

During an injection with a traditional syringe there is what is know as "hub loss". Hub loss is the oil/medication that is left in the hub of the syringe after injection.
    To avoid this loss for intermuscular injections some people leave a very small bubble of air in the syringe to be sucked into the barrel during aspiration this air allows all of the oil/medication to be expelled from the syringe. The other option is to load slightly more oil/medication to account for the lost bit at the end of the injection.

You are overthinking things incorrectly:
    The syringes that you are talking about are designed to solve the problem of hub loss. So there is no reason for you to add the extra .1ml Just load it with your needed volume. Period.
    Exactly. Putting air in the syringe is a completely different classification of injection. If you are worried about the oil in the needle then pull the needle off, pull air into the syringe, put needle back on, and push oil back into the substance container.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

wellshii is offline Member
    The dimple is as explained to push as much as possible through.
    There is still waste on my syringes though(luer lock)
    So what I so is get an insulin syringe pull out the rest and inject sub q.
    I tried the air trick where you pre-fill with air buy personally I really love injecting myself.
    Also to help read the dose better I bought myself a 1 ml syringe instead of the two ml they send me(too big). So its easier to gauge my dose since I do 3x a week injections.
    Cylon357 likes this.

I tested it

The dimple does indeed take up .1ml volume.

So if you use the no waste method with a bubble. You will want to load the syringe with .1ml more to get your exact intended dose.
    Last edited by Killah_Keith; 04-08-2022 at 01:35 PM.

TheDreamer is offline Associate Member
    Overthinking...

How?

If you pin everyday, not accounting for the dimple in the syringe will off by .1cc each day.

In one week, that's .7cc

A common vial of Test is dosed at 250mg/ml.

.7cc = 175mg miss dosed in 1 week alone!

Considering that's what I use for my TRT, it does infact matter greatly.

Cornish is offline Junior Member
    How?

If you pin everyday, not accounting for the dimple in the syringe will off by .1cc each day.

In one week, that's .7cc

A common vial of Test is dosed at 250mg/ml.

.7cc = 175mg miss dosed in 1 week alone!

Considering that's what I use for my TRT, it does infact matter greatly.
    From what I have been told the volume the dimple displaces is taken into account when marking the graduations on the syringe. So if you measure 1.5ml, you thus inject 1.5ml. (My understanding only...from what I've read previously on this forum about the same issue.)

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    If you believe you need to draw “.1ml ” more into your syringe to make your feelings not get hurt then by all means do it. Nobody wants to inject daily, especially mfers like me in the game for years but hey go for it if it makes u feel better
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I've got to ask: are we talking about .1ml or .01ml? That is, to the 10 mark or to the 1 mark? Because .1 ml seems like a LOT of loss.

Even with a 25g 1.5" draw needle, I only count .03ml in the needle and hub of the syringe.

At any rate, I would just draw the appropriate, carefully calculated amount of air and get it to the plunger side, then inject. No loss involved.

I think the confusion is my choice of words about the parts of a syringe.

To be clear, I'm talking about the rubber piece that protrudes on the end of the plunger. (Moving piece)

Not the area on the syringe/needle portion that threads on. (The Hub?)

I checked this myself to be earlier, I posted about it above. If I would have done this first, I wouldn't have had to ask this question in the first place. But also, somebody might stumble upon this as useful information.

I loaded the syringe as normal accounting for the 0.1ml - then back loaded this into an insulin syringe. The graduations on an insulin syringe are much easier to read for accuracy. Most importantly, completely flat at the bottom (needle side) to get an accurate reading. My guess was correct. The rubber portion died infact equal .1ml volume. If I can get the pictures to load I can show and prove this.

This in no way makes me "feel better". Whenever I do anything, I do it at the best of my ability. With the most accuracy and information possible. Maybe some are okay with inaccuracies over the years, but I do not take this lightly. Everything I do is tracked, measured, weighed, and accounted for. This is no different.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What about just switching brands?

I’m assuming you’re referring to the dimpled plunger? They make after market ones and you just reuse them, you just switch it out after each injection…

Is this the piece you’re talking about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9C3F2B4-AC05-4EA1-B2D4-D08922E1133F.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	181780

Name:	15798ED6-3842-42FE-A1FF-6E026781C9F6.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	181781
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 04-16-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    Killah_Keith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    What about just switching brands?

I’m assuming you’re referring to the dimpled plunger? They make after market ones and you just reuse them, you just switch it out after each injection…

Is this the piece you’re talking about?

Name:	F9C3F2B4-AC05-4EA1-B2D4-D08922E1133F.jpeg 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	181780

Name:	15798ED6-3842-42FE-A1FF-6E026781C9F6.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	181781
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks!

I wasn't aware you can swap out that dimple for reuse. That's pretty cool. I still have several hundred syringes in stock currently, I over buy just in case they become hard to come by.

Either way, now that I know to just load 0.1ml more, it's a non issue.

Blog Entries
    Insulin syringes are your friend or maybe "low dead space" luer lock. If you are injecting everyday, then go with insulin pins. This solves your issue and your waste.

Blog Entries
    Peep this, it should give you an idea of the amount of waste of various syringe types.

Name:	dead-space-syringes.png 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	181782
    Killah_Keith likes this.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks!

I wasn't aware you can swap out that dimple for reuse. That's pretty cool. I still have several hundred syringes in stock currently, I over buy just in case they become hard to come by.

Either way, now that I know to just load 0.1ml more, it's a non issue.
    too picky

you need these:

Thread Information